Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > F30 - F35 (2012 - Present)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

BMW Canada doesn't want you to buy the F3x Wagon

Thinking ahead a few years to what I might replace my E91 with... I noticed something strange with the current 3 series pricing in Canada.

2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan: Starting from $35,990*
2014 BMW 3 Series Touring: Starting from $47,850* - Almost $50k base price for a 4-cylinder 3 series wagon?!?

Looking at the equipment they're tacking on a lot of things that used to be options. A lot more than they're adding in the US.

Strangely the fairly X1 starts at just $36,990.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
davericher20
black and blue

But its sooooooooo sexy they did an amazing job with the rear end.
But yes that's a crazy difference.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-1...n-photo-464290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.

Last edited by davericher20; 11-12-2013 at 10:56 PM.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It's a 328Xi. The equivalent sedan costs only $1700 less. A stripper 320i is not the same car.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

I hear you @Mystikal. But I think that's kind of my point.

If you want a sedan or a CUV there's a wide price range and options. If you want a wagon it's going to come with a bunch of pre-selected packages like a well optioned 328xi. That's great if you happen to want it optioned exactly like that... I think I could be happy with a 320it with M Sport / M Performance instead.

The X1 has the same drivetrain (28i, not 20i) and it starts almost 11k cheaper because they haven't pre-selected all the options for you.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

There is also no manual option coming NA which sucks. Older manual tourings will continue to hold their value as most have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
If you want a sedan or a CUV there's a wide price range and options.
It's a result of tourings not selling well in NA, so they reduced the number of models they have available. Some people will not like it, but it's a result of not many being sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
320it with M Sport / M Performance
You couldn't get a 320i sedan with the M Performance Package in NA. (Only Sport line with Sport seats, Sport suspension, etc)
Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Just a heads up. Comparing the X1 to the 328it is pointless. The X1 is on the e90 chassis. Smaller and inferior to the F30 although they share power plants. An X1 is a waste of time and space in every way. There is something better than the X1 within the BMW lineup and within competitiors line ups.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
There is also no manual option coming NA which sucks. Older manual tourings will continue to hold their value as most have.
I'm still holding out hope that a manual option will appear later in the production cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Just a heads up. Comparing the X1 to the 328it is pointless. The X1 is on the e90 chassis. Smaller and inferior to the F30 although they share power plants. An X1 is a waste of time and space in every way. There is something better than the X1 within the BMW lineup and within competitiors line ups.
Really, that bad? I mean, the E90 wasn't a bad chassis. I figured an X1 being a "lifted" E90 with the F3x powertrain can't be too terrible. Guess not.

Since I'm obviously dreaming, maybe BMW will build me a 220i Gran Coupe Touring M Sport with manual?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

The ideal option would be the 2.0L diesel with 6 speed manual (hell I'd even take an auto), but not at $50k.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Having worked for BMW for 13 months and going back starting in January, it is an uphill battle. The sad raw truth is that BMW enthusiasts are NOT BMW's target market. We represent a very small number of purchasers of NEW BMW's. Less than 1%. As such they have to invest where the people are spending the money ie. SUV's, AWD and automatics, the exact opposite of what we all like.

Personally my perfect daily would be a 328i touring diesel with a manual transmission and rear wheel drive. Msport package and all of the sport goodies with none of the luxury crap, no leather, no nav, etc. You think this car would ever exist here? LOL never. What happened to the good old days when you could buy a BMW with cloth seats?

90% of all BMW's sold today in Canada are awd. 85% are automatic. A large chunk of the population are buying an image, a brand, and couldn't care less about the goodness engineered in these vehicles. I recently had a 2013 Honda Civic Ex 5 speed manual as my work car and I'm shocked to average 8.8 litres/100km. The 328i 6 speed manual avgd 7.1 litres/100km. Although the EPA has the Civic beating the 328 by a handy margin the reality is in real world driving the BMW is way more powerful, and way more efficient. Do you see people flocking to BMW because they were able to accomplish this? Nope, but you do see people flocking to BMW because they want that image.............I have a hard time relating to such people as for me, it's about the car, how it feels, how it responds to my inputs, and how it affects my pocket book.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Really, that bad? I mean, the E90 wasn't a bad chassis. I figured an X1 being a "lifted" E90 with the F3x powertrain can't be too terrible. Guess not.

The E90 wasn't a bad chassis, nor is a good one. It gained weight over the predecessor (significantly) and lost feel. In the turns it feels like a big heavy car. I own an E39 and that feels lighter on its feet than the e90 even though it is heavier.

That said, take that E90 chassis and raise it 4 inches ground clearance, put a more compliant suspension on it, meaning softer, then make AWD standard, (adds more weight with no performance advantage) super heavy steering and every feature on these is an option to the point where a reasonably equipped X1 28i touches the mid 40's and voila. A useless vehicle that does not drive well, is not really efficient, gets pricey with options automatic and awd only and less space than an E90 touring. You'd be better off with an X3 for only a few thousand more, better in every way and shares platform with the awesome F30.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Having worked for BMW for 13 months and going back starting in January, it is an uphill battle.
Back to Serpa?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Hell no.................

It's a secret until next week. I'll let the cat out of the bag then.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Hej2002
1st Gear Newbie

Pricing is crazy, I got a 2014 x1, loaded with an m package for the same price as an entry 3 wagon...
Hej2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: