Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #31
JINT
5th Gear Member

It's probably the best M3 so far, for street and track. Meets the expectations of a lot of people. You can get a very decent one for 15K now. Of course if you want 06' competition package, imola red in 6 speed, you are gonna pay 30, not 20.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
mrod
2nd Gear Member

Every time someone makes a post like this the price goes up
mrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one

sittin with a busted fuel pump :/

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
#beaterlife

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #35
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:

They're prone to go on the early models, same happened to me. Should be able to get one from a local junk yard, lucky if you find one from a 04-06. easy fix
Nice car btw, didn't know u had the e46 M
Arash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #36
propr'one
op sucks cock

i ordered the TRE pump, hopefully i'll have it tomorrow. I had the walbro pumping my other s54, and wasn't very pleased with it, on the advice of some BF.C guys i'm trying this one. Randy had the oem pump with assy for under 400$(maranello bmw with max discount was 450+tax), but this should be an 80$ fix if the pump works as it should. This thread is motivating me to demand value from my e46 M.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330505860704

thanks man, i just got it yesterday

i'll need to make up the circumference of the larger VDO pump vs the narrower aftermarket pump, im open to ideas as to what to use. i used some rubber hose last time (coolant hose) but that's not the best idea since gasoline eats non-fuel rated rubber.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit

Last edited by propr'one; 11-06-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #37
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

No need to replace $$$ whole fuel pump assembly. Just the pump works just as well for <100$
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #38
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:

i'll need to make up the circumference of the larger VDO pump vs the narrower aftermarket pump, im open to ideas as to what to use. i used some rubber hose last time (coolant hose) but that's not the best idea since gasoline eats non-fuel rated rubber.
I would suggest JB Weld but you risk ruining the assembly. Or maybe some PVC fitting from home depot, if you can find the right size.
Arash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #39
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Use fuel line rubber?

Hmm what is gasoline safe? Plastic? Aluminum?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #40
propr'one
op sucks cock

i may try to use fuel line rubber but its the wrong size. i dont want to use plastic or metal because the pump vibrates a lot and it will rattle.

looks like i'm going to be spending tomorrow refinishing my winters wheels, fuel pump may wait till friday

hid headlights hid kit
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
propr'one
op sucks cock

So i got super impatient and picked up the fuel pump yesterday. cost was 78$ direct from TRE, 5$ to usaddress, no duty.

fuel pump seems to be working great and included everything that was needed to retrofit the pump

hid headlights hid kit
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
Monte04ss
1st Gear Newbie

Sure there are lots of diff cars out there to each their own

Once you spend some quality seat time in a 6SP E46 M3 you will not have any issues dropping 20k. The key is to compare the condition and service history on the cheaper ones.

It took me 6 months to track down my M3. lots of test drives and looking for service records. If the S54 does not get it's regular 50,000 km service adjustments, walk away from the thing. Most cars and owers I spoke too prior to the sale, did not even know about the Service I and II. The cars were ran hard and put away wet

Finally found a single owner, full dealer serviced car 2 years ago with 100,000km. Could not be happier. That is A LOT of car for the money when you drive it.

Take your time and enjoy the hunt,

Monte04ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
Linz323
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I love the e46 M3. But I can't help but get the feeling that they're overpriced for what they are, especially compared to cars of the similar era. For example, though not a driver's car, an SL500 sells for cheaper in Ontario than a similar year / kms M3 would. Let's face it, the SL comes with a mountain of tech and is a hardtop convertible, better justifying the 20-35k price tag.
Supply and demand. Not to mention that the E46 M3 is a badass, sought-after car.

Quote:
Perhaps one of you ladies or gents could explain to me why the e46 is so astronomically priced for a car reaching approximately a decade old and has 120000+ kms. From my search, I've regularly noticed people asking over $20000 for cars with over 120000kms. With taxes etc, paying 1/4 of a hundred grand for a 10 year old car with that many kms seems crazy right?
Some are definitely overpriced, but about $20k for an early 2000s car, with about 100k kms is a starting point to judge the pricing of other cars. Add / subtract 10cents / km, and add a bit for newer cars, and you'll get a good idea.

Another big part of the pricing is the reliability of the car. Do some forum searching for high mileage M3s, and you'll see some well into the 200k kms range-- including mine-- with solid feedback from the owners.

Quote:
Before you say that I need to drive one to understand... I have driven many before, but can't appreciate them enough (especially the SMG versions) to justify paying what people ask because they're becoming very dated with the new M due out early 2014.
The E46 M3 is the one featuring BMW's claim-to-fame last proper inline 6, naturally-aspirated, motorsports engine. Look how many "Engine of the Year" awards it won (I believe all the eligible years, if my memory is correct). It's a drivers' car, that is practical, but definitely still a little rough for the average motorist. In my, and many others' opinions, they simply nailed it with the rawness and useability of the car. It's basically a 911 of the same era, with back seats and a trunk.

The E9x M3 is much more refined, while the F8x M3/4 will be a turbo car which will likely be at least as refined as the E92, if not more. Always remember that performance #s don't always equal fun.

It really depends on what you want-- a sports car, or an easy-driving, sporty-(looking) car.

Quote:
At current seller's evaluations of their vehicles (and don't get touchy M3 owners), would you be better off buying something newer like a 328i/335i or even an Infiniti G37s 6MT for the same money?
Again, it depends on what you want. The example cars may be somewhat competitive by performance #s and their related tests, but dynamically not even close.

Quote:
What do you think and why? Are e46 M3s selling at an inflated value? Is there such a cult following for these cars that prices are kept high? Or am I way off the map here?
Cult following is definitely a part of it, but it's a great car, that now in retrospect, many are saying the best M3 made, and one of the best cars.

Quote:
Personally, I'm probably going to buy an e90 or e92 M3 with low kms unless you can convince me otherwise
I'll be happy to sell you my E92 M3! Drop me a line, and any other questions, if you like.
Linz323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #44
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Buy an E30, E30 318i is as close as God's Chariot as it comes.

Tags
e46 m3, other cars, overpriced

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: