Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
poleposition
1st Gear Newbie

Buying E46 on Kijiji advice

Hi guys,

I know there quite a few 'going to buy e46' threads but I just wanted to get some opinions.

I've been looking at buying an E46 on Kijiji. When I speak to the owners of the lower mileage cars they seem to have no clue about maintenance apart from ' yeah premium gas bro'. I feel like if I were to buy such a car I may be stuck with all the maintenance parts coming due?

At the same time Ive found one high mileage E46 300k+ but almost every system has been recently changed. And is much cheaper.

Would you guys recommend buying the lower miles but not no maintenance car or high mileage but lots of maintenance? I can post the sellers email if anyone wants to look at what hes done.
poleposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
haikara2308
2nd Gear Member

I think like any other car you should read up on common problems that the car has and then take a look at the recommended maintenance schedule and then factor in what work you might have to get done in the near future. Also get a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputed bmw shop if you are unsure about the previous owner's maintenance.

IMO I would go with the lower mileage car but lower mileage isn't always better than a higher mileage car. The pre-purchase inspection would possibly be able to tell you more about the car's condition than looking at the mileage.
haikara2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
ixguy
Been there, fixed that.

Every old E46 for sale has a basket of issues unless you buy it from somebody that is completely on top of it, in which case he will tell you about what has been done to make sure there is no basket of issues for you. People dont sell when everything is perfect, they well when they reach their threshold of spending. If they are in the former category, their ad and knowledge will reflect that and they will be looking for premium dollars.

This does not mean don't buy one, just dont be naive. There will be time and money to spend before your 10 (or whatever) year old purchase is perfect. The good news is that then you will enjoy what somebody once paid $50k to experience.

All that said: history is better than no history and less mileage is better than more.
ixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Jonny
1st Gear Newbie

E46's 180 - 250k expect to replace: water pump, expansion tank, t-stat, both camshaft sensors, intake boots, DISA valve, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, alternator, window regulators, wiper motor, final stage for blower motor, rear coil springs, front calipers may be seized, parking brake shoes may pull out of the backing plates, fuel pump, oh and frozen crankcase valve issues!
e90 is a much stronger car, only water pump and steering lock (early cars) issues. Except for strong engine and tranny E46's have lots of issues.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

^what he said and get it looked over FIRST, worst thing I see is people coming to us saying look what I bought NOW can you inspect it
Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
ixguy
Been there, fixed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
E46's 180 - 250k expect to replace: water pump, expansion tank, t-stat, both camshaft sensors, intake boots, DISA valve, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, alternator, window regulators, wiper motor, final stage for blower motor, rear coil springs, front calipers may be seized, parking brake shoes may pull out of the backing plates, fuel pump, oh and frozen crankcase valve issues!
e90 is a much stronger car, only water pump and steering lock (early cars) issues. Except for strong engine and tranny E46's have lots of issues.
Let's see... owning my car from 220k to 289k, from the above list, I have done yes or no:
yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, no yes, no, yes, no, no, yes, no, yes.
So, not too far off as a random sample!
Dont' forget control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings, shocks, coolant hoses, pulleys, O2 sensors, secondary air injection pump & valve, and all the damn rotten vacuum hoses.

So point being, if these things haven't been done recently, they are coming up at some point. Maybe next week, maybe next year, maybe long time off. But you can be the current owner knows that at least *some* of these are due. Or is in fact clueless and has no idea how many of these are due.
ixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

What kind of E46 are you looking for, and what is your budget?

I have a friend who'd consider selling his Facelifted 330i for a reasonable price, it has only 125k original KM.

FT: E46 M3 Carbon Fiber valve cover
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163884
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

pm sent
lgb240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: