Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroczu View Post
look closely at your camber arms, from factory in all honesty are CRAPPY built pressed steel.... i took a 90' corner at like 70km and bent mine actually all i could do was cut it and measure to the passenger side to get proper length and rebuild it boxing it all with 1/8th inch steel, it should be flat top and bottom, they buckle in the middle if they bent usually. and if you have a chance or access to a welder i recommend at least tack welding the bottom gap or fish plate it, in the spring i'm doing aftermarket adjustables just for a piece of mind oh and there is a piece of plastic acts as a cover you will have to take off if it's still in place
There's no way you bent it just cornering. Unless it was already damaged, or you hit something like a curb or massive pothole while cornering.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
iroczu
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
There's no way you bent it just cornering. Unless it was already damaged, or you hit something like a curb or massive pothole while cornering.
as i wrote was doing a 90' turn at around 70-80km and bent the shit out of it rear wheel went into the crazy end of a positive camber only thing i can think of is that with the sticky tires and the road went from a slight down hill into a slight up hill angle in the turn and everything was just perfect put enough pressure on it to bend it and no didn't hit a curb no pot hole nothing there that hit it, and these arms are a semi common part to fail due to a bend
iroczu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroczu View Post
as i wrote was doing a 90' turn at around 70-80km and bent the shit out of it rear wheel went into the crazy end of a positive camber only thing i can think of is that with the sticky tires and the road went from a slight down hill into a slight up hill angle in the turn and everything was just perfect put enough pressure on it to bend it and no didn't hit a curb no pot hole nothing there that hit it, and these arms are a semi common part to fail due to a bend
Hard cornering is nothing hard for an E46. Many are tracked regularly on R-comps, at higher speeds. I've bent a rim from hard curb hits at the track, but even that didn't bend the arm.

Anyhow, I'm not saying it didn't happen there, but it is pretty hard to do. I haven't heard of any bent arms that weren't a result of hitting a curb or something.

How did you know it happened right at that corner? Did you feel it right away?

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
iroczu
2nd Gear Member

Lol well one because I haven't hit a curb in 13 years and two when your car handles funny after taking a turn then stop to inspect the cause was the reason and only place for that matter it could have happened 90 degree turn at 70-80 km at a street light is.pretty sharp if I had a picture of it would be easier to show the turn and the bent arm but I think I deleted the pictures already of the arm ill check
Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #20
iroczu
2nd Gear Member

Ya I don't have it anymore
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #21
jabela
4th Gear Member

Did it look like this? This was a curb impact.

I'm not aware of any street legal tires that can take a city corner at 80kph (not to mention the legality).

Anyhow, it seems you have terrible luck and bent your arm. However they are designed to be the weakest link in the suspension to prevent damage to other parts. It's also designed to bend and not break, so control of the car is not lost. By boxing it up, you risk breaking a more costly part of your suspension and possibly losing control.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
iroczu
2nd Gear Member

Sum it up ya butumine was bent up not front to back like that one regardless enough about my bs this guy hasn't gotten back yet wether he checked his yet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: