Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
Vinoth
1st Gear Newbie

DIY: LED Angel Eyes as DRL's

ok before anyone says that this has been covered, i dont think it has been properly.

Note: My Car is 2000 323i for which I installed OEM Xendon headlights from another e46 that came with them.

So you get your LED angel eyes and follow the instructions to install. Most install insructions will tell you to route the trigger wire to the fuse box, and tap a yellow/red wire so that whenever your car is in ignition position 2, your angel eyes will be active.

The thing is, that does not act like TRUE drl. DRL turns off when you turn on your night time lights. In the case of the usual install instructions, at night I have both my xenon projector active, as well as my angel eyes. To be clear, I hate the way that looks (specifically with LED angel eyes, not so bad with CCFL). Looks fine in the day with just the angel eyes, but I would prefer that when I turn on my projectors, my LED angel eyes shut down.

So for any of you feeling the same way, I have worked out a solution. It will require the use of 2 relays (one already provided in the kit). This is the wiring diagram below for how it should all be connected. The diagram is crude, but it gets the point across. The relay on the left is the one provided in your kit, the relay on the right is the one you need to buy. For all intensive purposes, they are actually the same, however on the left you are using pin 87 to create a normally open relay and leave 87a unused. On the right your using pin 87a instead to create a normally closed relay, and leave 87 unused.

Note: If you had bulb out warnings before this setup, this will cause a bit of an issue. The computer will send out diagnostic checks every 30 seconds to the lights which will cause your angel eyes to flicker during those intervals. To prevent this, you can either install the resistor mod to fool the computer, or pull fuse #32. I have the resistor mod, and have yet to try removing fuse#32. From what I understand, pulling that fuse will prevent your computer from sending those diagnostic checks to your lights.

Thats it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (56.3 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Vinoth; 05-13-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Vinoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Thavows
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinoth View Post
ok before anyone says that this has been covered, i dont think it has been properly.

Note: My Car is 2000 323i for which I installed OEM Xendon headlights from another e46 that came with them.

So you get your LED angel eyes and follow the instructions to install. Most install insructions will tell you to route the trigger wire to the fuse box, and tap a yellow/red wire so that whenever your car is in ignition position 2, your angel eyes will be active.

The thing is, that does not act like TRUE drl. DRL turns off when you turn on your night time lights. In the case of the usual install instructions, at night I have both my xenon projector active, as well as my angel eyes. To be clear, I hate the way that looks (specifically with LED angel eyes, not so bad with CCFL). Looks fine in the day with just the angel eyes, but I would prefer that when I turn on my projectors, my LED angel eyes shut down.

So for any of you feeling the same way, I have worked out a solution. It will require the use of 2 relays (one already provided in the kit). This is the wiring diagram below for how it should all be connected. The diagram is crude, but it gets the point across. The relay on the left is the one provided in your kit, the relay on the right is the one you need to buy. For all intensive purposes, they are actually the same, however on the left you are using pin 87 to create a normally open relay and leave 87a unused. On the right your using pin 87a instead to create a normally closed relay, and leave 87 unused.

Note: If you had bulb out warnings before this setup, this will cause a bit of an issue. The computer will send out diagnostic checks every 30 seconds to the lights which will cause your angel eyes to flicker during those intervals. To prevent this, you can either install the resistor mod to fool the computer, or pull fuse #32. I have the resistor mod, and have yet to try removing fuse#32. From what I understand, pulling that fuse will prevent your computer from sending those diagnostic checks to your lights.

Thats it

this is what i am looking for. a good advice for me. great. just happen to search it here. lots of thank u.
Thavows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
cali4nialuv
1st Gear Newbie

I'm soooo lost!!! Does this apply to ccfl? 86 is my ground and negative to the angel eyes. 30 is the positive to my angel eyes. 85 is my trigger. 30 is my 10 fuse
cali4nialuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
cali4nialuv
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Did you get it to work?
cali4nialuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Distinct
2nd Gear Member

You can also code the car to skip the bulb out test using software.
Distinct is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: