Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #31
windwagen
6th Gear Member

So how does the carbon fibre wrap work anyway? Is it some self adhesive poly? How do you keep the orientation going around the bends?
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #32
hardparking
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
Sounds like a great ride.... tracking? not yet.... possibly in the spring... I've just had it less than 2 weeks.,... really haven't pushed it too hard yet to "figure it out". I will also need a front strut before tracking. I need more driving time before I'd track it..

Yes, don't even think about hitting the track without a front strut bar. I did once and almost rolled my car. Could have been catastrophic
hardparking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #33
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
AS one of the previous poster mentioned, I've had the car 2 weeks and dropped like $4000 in upgrades.... It's a build thread... the operative work being BUILD.... it's a project... Suspension will come in due time. It's lower than the stock Xi from measurements I've taken and my understanding from BMW is that the M-Sport does lower the car somewhat... I may lower 1.5" - 2" . Never going to be slammed; its a daily driver (winter included). Probably replace the suspension in the spring. As far as whether its at 370 or 340 to wheels' find me a 4 wheel dyno and i'll give it a run. otherwise, there's no way to tell for sure.... tell you one thing for sure; it's damn fast and a few Mustangs and a 300ZX found out how much quicker recently...
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Who is saying?

http://forum.e90fanatics.com/showthr...054&highlight=

Do you have photos of your car with stock wheels?
Nope. I changed them within an hour of getting the car. They'll be my winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I hate to see disappointed freinds...

Better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
So how does the carbon fibre wrap work anyway? Is it some self adhesive poly? How do you keep the orientation going around the bends?
Thats all in the wrapping.. Carbon cloth embedded in a poly resin (specifically designed for use with CF). About 4-5 coats of resin in total before clear coating (4-5 coats). Keeping the orientation is the trick and why I hand-wrapped all the parts. Alot of finessing the cloth to get it to contour to the corner or edge. Often a further edging and finessing at about the 4 hour mark (about half-way through the curing process.. But this is an entirely different discussion.... LOL
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 10-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #35
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Is this stuff purely cosmetic or does it have performance benefits? Like making a flimsy part rigid?

For example, let's say I can make an automotive control arm out of cast aluminum. Alternatively, the control arm could be injection molded from a plastic then wrap it with your process, mainly to save weight. Is that even conceivable?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #36
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparking View Post
Yes, don't even think about hitting the track without a front strut bar. I did once and almost rolled my car. Could have been catastrophic
SAY what!!!!??

I can tell you people drive the hell out of cars on the track, and not rolling them because they don't have a strut bar!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #37
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
Is this stuff purely cosmetic or does it have performance benefits? Like making a flimsy part rigid?
Interior trim has lots of flex during high lateral G cornering. For this reason, BMW M/Porsche/Ferrari have been using CF extensively in interiors to enhance lateral road holding capabilities by reducing chassis flex with the use of tight dashboard trim bits to hold the car together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
SAY what!!!!??

I can tell you people drive the hell out of cars on the track, and not rolling them because they don't have a strut bar!
Shhhh. Let's roll with it.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
nachos23
SweetXi

I would prefer a strut bar before I track to provide even flatter response through the corners, but I drive it like I'm on the track regularly and it handles great. My reason for not tracking it this fall is simply because I don't know the car well enough to push it that hard yet. Mosport has some corners if taken wrong WILL put you in the wall; this is not the car I want to chance that with until I know it very well. I WILL be building an e30-based track car over the next couple of years as time and $$ permit... that will be my permanent track car.

I am planning to be at the cruise next weekend, so I'll have 500km to get used to the car under hard cornering and braking.

Installed the upgraded angel eyes (6K LEDs), upgraded the HID Headlights to 6K and installed a 6K HID kit for the fog lights yesterday. Unfortunately no time to take pictures last night and it's raining today.... So, I'll try to get some pictures at some point. What a PITA it was to replace the H8 bulbs not to mention that every site I visited only have installation instructions for non facelift (non-LCI) installations. significantly changed on the LCI version. the little access they provide was no where big enough for my fingers and I tore the shit out of them trying to get them installed...Installing them was more difficult than may of the big repairs I did on my last one and by far the most difficult mod I've done today.

Started doing the intercooler as well, and got the stock one off, but realised completing the job would take more time than I had yesterday, so re-installed the stock one and I will tackle that another day.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Interior trim has lots of flex during high lateral G cornering. For this reason, BMW M/Porsche/Ferrari have been using CF extensively in interiors to enhance lateral road holding capabilities by reducing chassis flex with the use of tight dashboard trim bits to hold the car together.

Shhhh. Let's roll with it.
to clarify the CF discussion. CF is lighter and stronger than steel or any other metal for that matter. So for racing purposes, replacing stock metal exterior body panels with CF molded parts reduces weight significantly (stock hood = 60lbs; CF hood weighs in at around 20 lbs) and since it's stronger than the parts its replacing is an excellent choice to reduce weight and not sacrifice protection/strength.... The CF market I was selling to was the aftermarket and for cosmetic purposes only... same approach BMW and other manufacturers have with offering the CF interior as an option. People looking for aftermarket cosmetic parts aren't looking to reduce weight for the track, they are looking to enhance the look of their ride.. its that simple.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #40
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
to clarify the CF discussion. CF is lighter and stronger than steel or any other metal for that matter. So for racing purposes, replacing stock metal exterior body panels with CF molded parts reduces weight significantly (stock hood = 60lbs; CF hood weighs in at around 20 lbs) and since it's stronger than the parts its replacing is an excellent choice to reduce weight and not sacrifice protection/strength.... The CF market I was selling to was the aftermarket and for cosmetic purposes only... same approach BMW and other manufacturers have with offering the CF interior as an option. People looking for aftermarket cosmetic parts aren't looking to reduce weight for the track, they are looking to enhance the look of their ride.. its that simple.
Thanks!

Hey... I'm an engineer.... I was intrigued since the wrapping is real CF cloth with a real resin, not some stickers.

Imagine if this stuff added structural rigidity with minimal weight penalty?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #41
Jay22
Shadows.

Sweeet ride. I've had my Black 335i for just about 6 months and all I've done to it is add the OEM Black kidney grill (totally recommend that for your ride too btw - it just makes the front end look really aggressive) and put on 18 OEM wheels !

You`re way ahead - great work.
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
hardparking
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
SAY what!!!!??

it was a joke
hardparking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #43
CatchM3
2nd Gear Member

my previous 335i pushed 420/367tq at the motor with a jb4 tune, bmw perf exhaust/intake, downpipes, and pullies on 94 octane. but just so you know, the hotter the engine, the less it performs at optimum. Great build! i think i've seen your car around Markham
CatchM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #44
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Curious but since from the manufacture you start with a 50/50 car, how does saving 10-30 pds here and there affect balance? It is not like the car is made in carbon fiber and balanced 50/50.

I wonder if a 55/45 or 10% difference can even be felt in terms of balance/handling.

I am more of a straight line guy so the twists and turns are not my thing to know this.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #45
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Curious but since from the manufacture you start with a 50/50 car, how does saving 10-30 pds here and there affect balance? It is not like the car is made in carbon fiber and balanced 50/50.

I wonder if a 55/45 or 10% difference can even be felt in terms of balance/handling.

I am more of a straight line guy so the twists and turns are not my thing to know this.
I try to add or remove similarly from both ends/keep the balance. Too much weight in the front can cause oversteer and too much in the rear can cause understeer. My last 330Xi was perfectly balanced and was flat through the corners. I had eliminated the understeer they are prone to. When I added the subs and speakers to the rear (net 40ibs) the car began to understeer again.

Balance for cornering is crucial. Adding the front strut can help provide more down pressure on the corners reducing understeer as can camber adjustments. I used to use ground control camber kit in it and adjust on track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3 View Post
my previous 335i pushed 420/367tq at the motor with a jb4 tune, bmw perf exhaust/intake, downpipes, and pullies on 94 octane. but just so you know, the hotter the engine, the less it performs at optimum. Great build! i think i've seen your car around Markham
Thanks! Those are the numbers I'm aiming for. I'd like to get 450hp at the crank. Very happy with the jb4. With the xi configuration and super wide sticky tires can't get a squawk out of it as it puts power down on all 4 wheels.

For those of is old enough to remember the 80's, we'll recall how the Audi Quattros were so dominant against the field that they were banned from professional Motorsport for having an unfair advantage over the field. You put similarly modified 2 wheel and AWD models against each other on a track, the AWD will always dominate.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Tags
blow off valve, e90, modding, performance, upgrade

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: