Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Sneaky
One of the Zealots

Can I fight a tint ticket?

Ive had 20% for about 2 years and Ive never got in trouble for it. Ive got pulled over at night for other reasons and not once has a cop said anything about my tint.

This morning I get pulled over for making a right turn at a street you cant make right turns on a sunday. That was my fault but the cop started complaining about my tint and gave me a ticket for it.

Is there any way to fight this, isnt 20 percent tint legal?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
SickFinga

You can, but doubt you'll win it. Is it a $110 ticket? Did you get a ticket for the right turn?

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#s73s3
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
mclovin
3rd Gear Member

Legal tint i believe is 35% not 20%

You can have 20 but only on rear windows only
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
dbworld4k
Addict

In Ontario, there is no clear cut definition for what is legal tint. Last I checked, the silhouettes of the occupants have to be visible with the windows up; something which is entirely upto the discretion of the pig - I mean - traffic cop. For somplicity's sake, 35% is normally a safe bet.

Anytime I get pulled over I always have both front windows down and so far it's kept my tint a non-issue during stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTA
73 (3) Colour coating obscuring interior
(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).
As you can see, it's entirely subjective.

Imola Red / Imola Red ///M5
E60 SSK, Dice iPod, GT Exhaust
BCR Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Daytona Race, Michelin PSS

335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
H&R Sport, CF diffuser, BMW Performance SSK

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black

Last edited by dbworld4k; 03-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
blk3
4th Gear Member

35 is legal, i have 20% out all around except the front glass for that reason. oh by the way i have been pulled over with my other tinted car with my two front windows down and was told to roll them up for inspection. no tint was on them. so it depends on the prick who pulled you over
Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

they still give tint tickets? lol
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
In Ontario, there is no clear cut definition for what is legal tint. Last I checked, the silhouettes of the occupants have to be visible with the windows up; something which is entirely upto the discretion of the pig - I mean - traffic cop. For somplicity's sake, 35% is normally a safe bet.

Anytime I get pulled over I always have both front windows down and so far it's kept my tint a non-issue during stops

As you can see, it's entirely subjective.
i consulted this when i was deciding how dark to go.

a lot of people say 35% is 'legal' but like dbworld4k said there is no specific limit.

i ended up getting 15% all around, no problems so far. if i ever do pull up next to a cop i can just turn my interior lights on. or just drop the windows

hard luck tho.
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
ipop07
Spacers guy

You can try fight it since there is no clear cut limit.
With that said, if everyone who gets a ticket because of a prick cop goes to court. They will put a clear cut limit like most of the states did in US. And it wont be 15% or 20%. It most likely be 35% or even 50% if they are drunk that day. Then we are all screwed..

I have 20% or even 15% on my car (not sure since I bought it this way) and have not had problems so far. Hoping I wont either.

Sorry that you got a ticket man..
ipop07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I don't understand why you guys all want such dark tint in the first place. I think cars look better without...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
ipop07
Spacers guy

because of this:

ipop07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
woofster
3rd Gear Member

I've always known 35% to be the legal tint level for front windows. I've had 20% in the rear and it is pretty dark. I have 35% all-around on my Audi but because of the black-on-black it looks really dark and have had 1 R.I.D.E. cop comment about the tint level. I told him it was 35% and he dropped the topic. I always make sure to leave the sunroof shade in the open position to let in light so that it doesn't appear quite as dark.
woofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
35% was the legal limit up till a couple years ago. Now its to the discretion of the officer. I would say just pay it and keep your mouth shut. You'll make it worse for yourself the next time you get pulled over.
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
signsmith
2nd Gear Member

FYI

Ontario law states:

Colour coating obscuring interior

(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver's seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

Windows to afford clear view

74. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) unless the windshield and the windows on either side of the compartment containing the steering wheel are in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the front and side of the motor vehicle; and

(b) unless the rear window is in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (1).

Application of cl. (1) (b)

(2) Clause (1) (b) does not apply to a motor vehicle that is equipped with a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the motor vehicle and placed in such a position and maintained in such a condition as to afford the driver, otherwise than through the rear window, a clearly-reflected view of the roadway in the rear or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (2).
signsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
InfiniteDice
12 Years with the E30

Define 'substantially obscure' What if the officer has poor vision, this phrase is subjective to begin with.

I'd say fight the ticket, all they can do is enforce the payment.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

you can't go wrong fighting it. who is going to measure whether you are 20% tint or not?
Best chances, he doesn't show and it gets thrown out. Worse case; request a reduced fine..tell them you aren't working. they'll most likely drop it down to practically nothing.

why wouldn't they give tickets out for tint?

I got pulled over for having a smoked license plate frame after the cop was driving along side of me for 15 min. then decided to hassle me.

He was about 10-15 ft behind me and asked me to get out of the car and told me if I could see my plate. I said yes. He then asked me to ramble off the plate number. I said sure. He then asked if this was my car. I said yeah. So I made him look indirectly stupid because if I am standing next to him and I can read it, why can't he? He obviously needs glasses. Of course I didn't tell him I memorized my plate number. So I politely played dumb and told him maybe if I cleaned it off he'd be able to see it better. LOL he then agreed and went on his merry way...

A friend of mine got a speeding ticket a few weeks back for 5km over the limit..So yeah, they give out tickets for stupid shit...

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: