Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

A spectacular weekend! No issues with the weather at all. The fog was fun when they finally let us out in it! My new suspension is like a wondrous gift from all the various imaginary deities anyone cares to name! I felt like I was blasting lap after lap in an E30 that I'd driven straight off of the showroom floor each morning! (more on this in my suspension thread soon).

Running with the Instructors for the first time was hilarious! Noisy bastards!

Oh and BigD - yeah say hi man - I would but I have no idea what you look like until you bring that beastly beast along!

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
BigD
the misanthropist

Haha, I'm like a crackhead at the track - after I'm off, I just want to relax and enjoy coming off the high. So I'm not very sociable there. But please do say hi if you see me, I'm usually hanging around with Randy, Felicia's blue BRZ, and for now I bring my TDI wagon as a support car but next time I hope to have the E30 so look for a 4runner with a trailer... and a goofy lookin E30
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
crunchyfrog
1st Gear Newbie

here's mine
run 7 on sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGs1KG7gnys
run 8 on sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kqBzfN3O8

back to the dry line but still a bit foggy. run 7,8 are my best runs that weekend. although not that fast due to traffic (2-2:10 laps), I had better car control with instruction and still passing everyone. my lines were much more consistent too, hope i get to the intermediate class next year
crunchyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
LVP
2nd Gear Member

It was a great weekend and a good way to end the season - a solid day in the dry on Saturday, car in one piece, no mechanical failures . I was the E36 1998 328i 4-door, plate LVP.

Kudos to all the volunteers for making these events happen and run smoothly.

Cheers.
LVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVP View Post
Kudos to all the volunteers for making these events happen and run smoothly.

Cheers.
+infinity to that!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Nolimit77
2nd Gear Member

re

Anymore video out there? I got to see my car go by in one of the videos and I really like the way it sounds at WOT!!

Cannot wait until next years event...still disappointed that I waited so long to join this club.
Nolimit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
davericher20
black and blue

I have some but haven't got around to uploading it. It was a great weekend for sure! LVP is your car green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
davericher20
black and blue

Heres one of the sessions
http://youtu.be/9atPUtMZKK0

Is this vid working for you guys? It seems to be messing up off and on for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.

Last edited by davericher20; 10-18-2013 at 09:30 AM.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post

Yup works.

Have you ever tried a tighter line through 4? I had a bit of an epiphany with that turn over the last weekend. On Randy's advice, I started trying tighter and tighter lines until I was basically not turning through the crest - start out about 2/3s of the way out, point it into the turn and pretty much leave it be.

I thought about it after each tightened attempt and what I think is happening is that while the wide entry feels safer, it's actually not because what you end up doing is finishing your weight transfer at the crest of the hill. With a tighter line, you do the bulk of the weight transfer already past the crest so it's so much more stable with more grip - I got to the point with the wider entry where as the outside would load up, the car would actually step out a little bit. With the tighter line I started freaking myself out a little bit how much speed I could carry with total confidence - in my last session I had a peek and I was doing around 160.

Anyway, just something to try if you feel like experimenting.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
Nolimit77
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yup works.

Have you ever tried a tighter line through 4? I had a bit of an epiphany with that turn over the last weekend. On Randy's advice, I started trying tighter and tighter lines until I was basically not turning through the crest - start out about 2/3s of the way out, point it into the turn and pretty much leave it be.

I thought about it after each tightened attempt and what I think is happening is that while the wide entry feels safer, it's actually not because what you end up doing is finishing your weight transfer at the crest of the hill. With a tighter line, you do the bulk of the weight transfer already past the crest so it's so much more stable with more grip - I got to the point with the wider entry where as the outside would load up, the car would actually step out a little bit. With the tighter line I started freaking myself out a little bit how much speed I could carry with total confidence - in my last session I had a peek and I was doing around 160.

Anyway, just something to try if you feel like experimenting.
I believe you are correct about weight transfer, and I too have experimented with a tighter line. It can certainly be faster, but it is a little dependant on how your car is setup and what speed you are carrying through 4. I have gone through 4 flat using both lines and if I turn in early, my car under-steers at the bottom and slightly compromises my entry into 5A. To combat that with the current setup, I lift to maybe 90% throttle over the crest which is just enough to keep the car tight on exit. Now, turning in a little later, I can stay flat through 4 without much problem, but I lose a tenth or so in doing that. This was my first time there with my new Dunlop ZII's so I haven't got the setup where I need it in order to take advantage of the time gained from a tighter entry to 4, combined with my typical line through 5A(late turn-in through4). Having said all that, my car will most likely be completely different next year so I may never get to try it again with the car the way it is now..
Old 10-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
BigD
the misanthropist

Ah yeah, that's why I pretty much treat 5A as a writeoff, staying on the throttle until the uphill and then brake hard all the way to the outside. I tried other lines but in my wife's BRZ this feels by far the fastest. Maybe if it had more grip and a lot more power it would be a different story but that line that Hanson talked about, where you don't track out between 5A and B, felt like crap. This line lets me keep a ton more momentum through 5A, AND B because I get a wider arc and instead of fighting with understeer I can get on the power coming out of B.

I watched your video again and I see what you mean. You start out wide but then you turn in a lot harder and straighten out. So you actually end up in the same tight line but coming in at a wider angle. I'll try that too next time, see how it feels.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
TrackClub
2nd Gear Member

nice driving Corey! looks like all those iRacing sessions paid off eh? LOL!
but seriously, nice driving and thanks for posting the vid.
very glad you had a good time. the Club puts on second to none events. bar none.
and that's why we sold out 5 in a row!
c u online bud...cheers, Bill
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
Nolimit77
2nd Gear Member

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
nice driving Corey! looks like all those iRacing sessions paid off eh? LOL!
but seriously, nice driving and thanks for posting the vid.
very glad you had a good time. the Club puts on second to none events. bar none.
and that's why we sold out 5 in a row!
c u online bud...cheers, Bill
Thanks Bill- I plan on attending the race school next spring and as many events as I can with this club! And yes, iRacing is a great tool, that's for sure!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
Nolimit77
2nd Gear Member

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post

Dave, loved your S54 comment. You should post up that video here- it was quite enjoyable hearing the commentary while that white beast was being muscled around!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: