Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
StirlingM5
2nd Gear Member

Live in Ontario? Vote for higher speed limits

Please vote "I agree" and share:

http://commonground.ideascale.com/a/...-h/17801-25935

This government hasn't done much good in the last 10 years. Maybe they'll take this chance to redeem themselves.

StirlingM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
davericher20
black and blue

Got an email from these guys, been following them for a while. Voted. Apparently the liberal government has requested more feedback and will consider doing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

last thing I want is some recently arrived immigrant in a 1992 honda civic going faster on the highway.
I agree for some rural areas, but no way in toronto or anywhere within 200 clicks of toronto.

those stats supplied are completely scued, they pulled stats on utah? do they have immigrants in Utah?
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
last thing I want is some recently arrived immigrant in a 1992 honda civic going faster on the highway.
I agree for some rural areas, but no way in toronto or anywhere within 200 clicks of toronto.

those stats supplied are completely scued, they pulled stats on utah? do they have immigrants in Utah?
im not even gonna.....
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
aviator
3rd Gear Member

I would vote for 110km/h [70mph] which will mean people will driver 120-130 km/h because generally our standard of driver training just can't support a limit of 120-130 with most folks driving upwards of 140 or more and also our roads are just too congested/poorly designed for that kind of speed. Jurisdictions in Europe with 130kph roads have much better driver training and road design and the US roads that are 75+ are generally in areas with lower populations and/or better weather/road conditions.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
make the limit 130 on 400 series highways, make the penalty for 10 over 450$.

im sick of people bashing immigrants all the time. i'm an immigrant and i'll bash your skull in. how bout that?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I would vote for 110km/h [70mph] which will mean people will driver 120-130 km/h because generally our standard of driver training just can't support a limit of 120-130 with most folks driving upwards of 140 or more
We can definitely support 120-130 and since most people do that, it proves that it's sustainable. Also it was proven many times that people do not do speedlimit + 20km/h. People tend to drive as fast as it feels comfortable for the road.

Quote:
and also our roads are just too congested/poorly designed for that kind of speed. Jurisdictions in Europe with 130kph roads have much better driver training and road design and the US roads that are 75+ are generally in areas with lower populations and/or better weather/road conditions.
Highway within city limits can have lower speed limits or we can have electronic speed limit signs that can change the limit based on the condition of the road.
Tougher training does not lead automatically lead to better drivers. Estonia has much stricter driving tests than we do here in Ontario. They have winter drive test, night time drive test and still they have the most dangerous roads in EU. It is twice as dangerous to drive in Estonia than it is in Canada.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
make the limit 130 on 400 series highways, make the penalty for 10 over 450$.

im sick of people bashing immigrants all the time. i'm an immigrant and i'll bash your skull in. how bout that?
there is a reason why G2 licensed drivers pay a lot more for auto insurance than drivers that have been licensed for many years...
some insurance companies have extremely strict thresholds for who they can offer insurance. vehicle over 15 years old? no prior insurance history and your older than the age of 25? decline.
a lot of recently arrived immigrants fall into those categories so some insurance companies will decline that particular business as it is not profitable business. why is it not profitable? because of higher claim ratios for that particular segment.

mind you theyre are good and bad drivers that have been here for 40 years and good and bad that have been here for 1.
how does this all relate to increase of speeds? higher speeds, means more severe accidents, more severe accidents means way more paid out for bodily injury claims, higher bodily injury claims means that EVERYONE pays more for insurance.

Insurance companies wont "test the waters" and "see how it goes" if this limit goes to pass almost instantaneously, everyone will see an increase in their auto insurance renewals, as it is unprecedented and Ontario government will happily approve general premium increases for everybody based on that fact alone.
and for stiffer penalties by increased fines? all that will do is put a higher load on the court system as for a lot of people they will be better off to take an unpaid day off work to go and fight a ticket worth almost a weeks worth of salary.

government wants people paying their fines not more people going to court to fight them. duh.

better to implement a driver training program that you have to renew every 12 years, and if you go every 6 and pass with like an 90% you get a 15 percent discount coupon code on auto insurance.
more money for the government, which those liberal crooks like.
15 percent discount for those who are eligible which insurance companies like/dislike
more jobs which the population like.
potentially smoother,safer roads as people dont maintain bad driving habits.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
StirlingM5
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
If your response to free speech is violence, you're not helping your case.
StirlingM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
I would vote for 110km/h [70mph] which will mean people will driver 120-130 km/h because generally our standard of driver training just can't support a limit of 120-130 with most folks driving upwards of 140 or more and also our roads are just too congested/poorly designed for that kind of speed. Jurisdictions in Europe with 130kph roads have much better driver training and road design and the US roads that are 75+ are generally in areas with lower populations and/or better weather/road conditions.
I would argue that most people drive 120-130 now, so raising the limit will do little to affect the current speeds. There have been studies which show that people drive the speeds at which they are comfortable, and judging by the traffic on the 400's I would agree.

Our roads are engineered for far more than 120-130. Ever driven in Germany? We have better roads than their unlimited Autobahns, yet they aren't dying left and right. Speeds do drop to 120-100 when near cities (busy onramps and offramps) so what would make sense is to put the 401 express at 130 and the collectors at 100. 130kph is fine near your average exit though. In Germany, you'll come off an offramp right into an unlimited zone.

Driver education is a problem but that shouldn't punish all of us. We need better driver training.

propr'one, while it might bother some, immigrants driving here without proper education is a problem, sorry to say. I live in Brampton and can tell you exactly why we have the worst insurance rates and a lot of accidents. It's quite a stunning place to drive. No one is saying 'all immigrants' as that's simply not true, but it is a significant issue which makes logical sense if you think about it. The big issue is driver education, people come from India or some other country, which is basically a lawless free for all when it comes to driving, come here and continue to drive like idiots. Then they open driving schools and you have bad drivers teaching poor driving habits. And since all you need to get a license in Ontario is to send in three cereal box tops, we have roads full of awful drivers. And that, poor drivers education and licenses issued like condoms at a dorm, is a problem that needs to be addressed. It's similar if I went to live in Germany, I wouldn't expect to get a German license without being able to pass their rigorous education and testing, that just doesn't make sense. It's WAY too easy to get a license in Canada, and the MTO has no one to blame for the accident rate but themselves.

In the end, speeding has little to nothing to do with it. Distracted driving and reckless driving are much more of a problem. I see accidents in Brampton all the time and it's never a speed issue. It's some moron running a stop sign, turning left in front of oncoming traffic, driving erratically, etc. I would rather see someone safely traveling 160kph than someone driving 50 looking at their phone or dealing with their brats in the back seat. It's also been shown, and anyone who has experience driving I am sure would agree, at slower speeds on the highway it is much easier to be complacent and get distracted. At higher speeds you are much more likely to pay attention and focus.

Anyway the topic at hand is whether it would be safe to bump the limit to 130kph to meet a standard that exists in many other developed countries and I believe it would. No one is saying drop unlimited A roads all over (though what I wouldn't do to see that lovely black circle with 4 slashes through it again), but we can at least match what exists everywhere else on the planet.

jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Hmmmm - I guess being an old fart, I don't drive that fast on the straight, boring 40x highways .... I did vote to raise the speed limit though!

The M5 is a nice place to chill and cruise so I usually set the cruise at 115. Yeah - if you see a grey M5 crawling along on the right lane.... it's me! Going 130 (or 180) feels the same as 115 so I don't get anything out of the higher cruising speed.

However, if I'm runnng late and need to make up some time, I would appreciate the higher speed limit.

Raising the limit to 230+ ???? Ok - now you're talking.....
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
aviator
3rd Gear Member

The other thing to think about is your fuel economy... at 110kph you are right in the sweet spot for most vehicles... but push it to 120kph and your fuel usage goes way up for not much difference in arrival time.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I have to admit... driving at 115 on the 401 between Toronto to Windsor, esp past London is really boring and a recipe for falling asleep.

What would be nice are autobahn like high speed zones so at least the drivers have to pay attention for the low speed zones - and when they're free to open it up again!
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

With some of the crackhead drivers we have in the GTA - I dont know if raising the limit is a smart idea.
E46Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
Hmmmm - I guess being an old fart, I don't drive that fast on the straight, boring 40x highways .... I did vote to raise the speed limit though!

The M5 is a nice place to chill and cruise so I usually set the cruise at 115. Yeah - if you see a grey M5 crawling along on the right lane.... it's me! Going 130 (or 180) feels the same as 115 so I don't get anything out of the higher cruising speed.

However, if I'm runnng late and need to make up some time, I would appreciate the higher speed limit.

Raising the limit to 230+ ???? Ok - now you're talking.....
Haha, and if you see a black or blue M5 flying in the left lane high beaming people to move over, its ME! Lmao.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: