Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
stevepowling
1st Gear Newbie

Newbie looking for insight.

Hey all,

Long time E30 lover and current VW owner. Currently drive an MK6 GTI as my daily/only car and looking into getting a second car as a weekend/winter project/fun car to have something to work on in my spare time.

I came across this E30 on Kijiji the other day and looking for some insight to what E30 guru's think. I've briefly read the "What to look for when buying an E30" guide but I am still a newbie when it comes to this car and BMW's in general.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ528597729
stevepowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

For me, at that price, it's a pass.

The modifications suck (but that's subjective) and it has metal bumpers (I hate them). Unless he has recipts for that work that he says was done, don't believe him. I'd also be wary of dealing with anyone that can't properly type an ad. I know I make spelling mistakes but that was just sad.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

I'd be worried too...looks a bit like a boy racer job, especially with all that audio gear. As Roysneon said, it needs work receipts, and I would take a very, very careful look under the car. Rust is evidently a big issue if present, but I wouldn't be surprised if the car was run hard and put away wet. If you do go see it, make sure to check all bushings, bearings, etc. A worn one could have dire consequences for associated parts (ex. centre support bearing on driveshaft, diff and tranny--ask me how I know!)
'87s are good b/c no e-test, although I also hate metal bumpers I have 2 with them and I've learned to deal with it. It may look better with a proper valance--make sure you check out the front, as it's too dark in those pics to see.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Ah, nevermind, it looks to have a front plastic bumper conversion. Weird that they should do only one end...might have been in a crash--definitely check the front thoroughly.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
stevepowling
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the tips and insight guys, always good to know these little details when researching potential projects. I think I'm gonna move in from this one and see if something else pops up over the winter.
stevepowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Weird that they should do only one end...might have been in a crash--definitely check the front thoroughly.
I've seen more than one car with only the front end converted. Part of the reason for that is putting the front end on is pretty straight forward, but to do the rear end you need to weld on the valance from the late model car which a lot of people don't know how or don't want to do.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I've seen more than one car with only the front end converted. Part of the reason for that is putting the front end on is pretty straight forward, but to do the rear end you need to weld on the valance from the late model car which a lot of people don't know how or don't want to do.
Learn something new every day...is that also an issue on 88 cars?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Learn something new every day...is that also an issue on 88 cars?
The plastics are pretty much a direct swap on the 88's

Pre 88 this is what you have to do just to get the bumper to fit
http://www.r3vlimited.com/Tech/bumper2.htm
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

The issue with '87 and older cars (high rear wheel arches) and plastic bumpers is that the rear bumper needs to be shortened by an inch or so. Need fibreglass, bondo and paint skill to pull it off. As Steve said, front is a direct swap.
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

I have an 87 with a plastic bumper swap (front/back). Don't have the late rear valance though. It looks fine because my car is pretty low, but if it wasn't it'd look like there was something missing for sure.

Gotta get me a new rub strip for the rear though. The clips are all busted on one side.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: