Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
matty.dc
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to matty.dc
Some S52 Help.

In June, I was driving my car home gave it a good run and had a pull where I went to 7k. After that pull it knew the motor sounded a little funny, but nothing too noticeable.

On the Sunday I started the motor and when it started it almost sounded as if a rod bearing had spun. I went looking around the motor and I pin pointed the noise to the front of the motor.

At the time ( I was in a rush) I pulled off the valve cover to look around and nothing seemed to be out of place and when I turned the motor with my torque wrench, it turned without a struggle and there were no rough spots.

I noticed, when installing the cam tool, as I was coming around to 1st cyl TDC, that the intake cam wasn't following the same path as the exhaust cam. It looked like it was going all the way to the edge of the sprocket adjustment before moving ( I'm aware the cam sprocket is supposed to move slightly for vanos but this much seemed weird).

The weird part about this whole ordeal is that when I revved the motor just slightly past idle the noise completely went away and in my experience with rod and main bearings is that they always get louder with rpm. I should also add that when I checked the crank bolt it was only finger tight after I heard the noise.

Any ideas or past experiences?

Thanks,

Matt

1987 325is(Midnight Tuning Tuned OBD I S52) - Current Summer Car
2012 Hyundai Veloster Tech- Daily Driver
1985 318i - 1st Car (started it all)
matty.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

The noise is always there?
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
cormier
6th Gear Member

Any chance of a video? Description of the noise? Your crank bolt was hand tight?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
matty.dc
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to matty.dc
The motor is being dug into right now in my spare time. Not in running Condition. Noise is only there at idle.

1987 325is(Midnight Tuning Tuned OBD I S52) - Current Summer Car
2012 Hyundai Veloster Tech- Daily Driver
1985 318i - 1st Car (started it all)
matty.dc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: