Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
oldschool
E30M52 project

boosting M52... need tips.

Hello to all boost gurus.

I'm planning to boost my e30

Motor m52b28/ m3cammed/m50 manifold... Obd1.

I have a manifold/3inch exhaust/intercooler/piping/oil lines/water lines/wastegate/bov...

I need help/tips with choosing injector size, ecu, sparkplugs, and a head gasket.

Turbo is a gt30r.

Power I want to make... As much as the motor can handle.

Smart tips would help.
Thank you in advance.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

You really only have two choices for tuning.. standalone or getting a remote tune for the stock ECU.

Depending on what you want, and how you want it there are pro/cons to each setup.

Pros for stock ECU tuning:
-Simple setup/just works if the hardware is setup correctly
-No need to know or learn how to tune
-Better driveability/fuel economy
-Remains OBD compliant
-Retains factory knock control

Cons:
-Can't tune yourself/no live tuning/no datalogging
-No safeguards (boost cut, EGT intervention, etc), no 2 step limiter/LC, no flatshift (pretty much no motorsport options at all), no boost control.
-Have to worry about MAF

Standalone pros:
-Self/pro tuned any time/live tuning
-Datalogging/external displays
-Motosport options, boost control (closed loop, boost by gear, etc)
-Boost cut (huge safety feature, will save your motor from overboost)

Cons:
-No OBD compliance (not an issue for your E30 though)
-Requires tuning/knowledge
-No knock control unless setup

That is a simplified list of course but should cover most bases.

As far as injectors go... a set of GT500 injectors will give you awesome fueling on the cheap with overhead (550cc @ 3 BAR). Or go with one of the best in the business and get Injector Dynamics injectors.

Plugs: BKR7E's

HG: Cometic in your choice of thickness and don't forget APR head studs. Care will have to be taken on the mating surfaces of the deck and head to proper roughness (RA) when using the Cometic MLS.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
///tyron
4th Gear Member

Are you going to be doing your own work? Or have a shop do it?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
oldschool
E30M52 project

I bought a miller war chip. Would that benefit me anyway, or should I just buy a megasquirt or something equivalent?

Boost spike, overboost, safety.. I have an AEM boost controller that takes care if it. It features a safety shutoff.

LC, rev limit, flatshift, boost by gear. I got a WOT box... Takes care of all that.

As far as tuning, dyno... I have the knowledge and access to it all.

Injectors, I'll look into the gt500 injectors, I know shops in Florida that probably have these thrown around. Or get them from DaSilva racing... Any specific year I should look into?

Air measurement. Would the 3 inch maf do me any good? And what are the alternatives?

Arp studs I already have, head gasket and the RA Graeme at Canadian cylinder will take care of.

Off topic.

Drive train, my whole drive train is solid, except the axles... Any alternatives, with out paying 1600 for DSS ones.

And yes I'm doing all this in my garage, been working on this car for three years... I'm a mechanic by trade. This is my trophy.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you've done your research and know a bit about it..

The WAR chip is interesting, but it's one thing I personally would avoid only because the utter lack of datalogging and live tuning. But it does work.

As for the injectors, the 1st gen GT500 injectors are 550 @ 3 bar and they're dirt cheap (8 for $230 USD), while the new ones now are ~605cc @ 3 BAR I believe... of course EV14's are great with higher base pressures too so you can easily turn it up if you need to.

In regards to MAF sizing, you will have to deal with Miller on that one as you will probably want to use a sensor and housing they already have a scaling for.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Michel
6th Gear Member

turbo's are lame. Your car's gonna be slow don't bother.
Swap out that garbage M52 for a built b18c5, bro.
FWD conversion - done.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
oldschool
E30M52 project

Yes mich. B18c5 13:1 comp. 11000 rpm all day,
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Get a obd1 DME tuning package from rk-tunes in the US. What you get in the tuning package is a base tune, set of injectors for the tune and an calibrated maf for the tune as well. A gt30r is probably good for a ~450whp quick-spooling setup on a m52. Motor-wise I'd recommend a .140 cometic MLS headgasket that'll safely lower your compression, as well as ARP2000 head studs. The gasket and studs are a MUST for any sort of longevity on your setup IMO.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
ricky87
1st Gear Newbie

plz i want to ask the question!
Should I use m50tu pistons with my m52 crank and rods or m52 pistons? I will be na for a year or so then mls for lowering compression.
ricky87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
honeydew
Don't laugh,it's paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
turbo's are lame. Your car's gonna be slow don't bother.
Swap out that garbage M52 for a built b18c5, bro.
FWD conversion - done.
B18, lol.

Anyway, that build sounds really nice. Turbo will be perfect size for the street. Don't piggyback stuff, spend the extra money for a standalone. Good luck, sounds like a good project.

Edited to ask: Does the E30 have any other compatible car you could harvest a bigger maf from? What size is stock?

Last edited by honeydew; 10-17-2013 at 03:08 AM.
honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Thread Bump

I have a tec3r standalone currently on my turbo m52 that I would sell for $1000. Its complete and still running my car (been using it for about 4 years). Tec3r harness is hard wired to a stock m52 harness, includes all the necessary stuff to be ready to go, 2 bar map, obd1 crank sensor, harness for icv, etc. You could have it running your car in a few hours, just pull your harness and drop this one in, save yourself the trouble of debugging another one from scratch.

Let me know if your interested, lots of e36s have made big power over the years with these boxes, obviously includes PC wire and software, and lots of turbo s52,m52,s50,m50 maps have been shared online to get you started pretty easy.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca

Last edited by PedroBMW; 10-26-2013 at 05:18 PM.
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroBMW View Post
Thread Bump

I have a tec3r standalone currently on my turbo m52 that I would sell for $1000. Its complete and still running my car (been using it for about 4 years). Tec3r harness is hard wired to a stock m52 harness, includes all the necessary stuff to be ready to go, 2 bar map, obd1 crank sensor, harness for icv, etc. You could have it running your car in a few hours, just pull your harness and drop this one in, save yourself the trouble of debugging another one from scratch.

Let me know if your interested, lots of e36s have made big power over the years with these boxes, obviously includes PC wire and software, and lots of turbo s52,m52,s50,m50 maps have been shared online to get you started pretty easy.
Going stock DME?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Going stock DME?
Yeah, been thinking about doing it for a while, I think it would make the car easier to sell one day when I am finally done with it having normal OBD diagnostics and stuff, we'll see, I want to maintain OBD2 but I hate the idea of having someone else's tuning on my car because I'm certain I'll end up nit-picking it to death.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Get a obd1 DME tuning package from rk-tunes in the US. What you get in the tuning package is a base tune, set of injectors for the tune and an calibrated maf for the tune as well. A gt30r is probably good for a ~450whp quick-spooling setup on a m52. Motor-wise I'd recommend a .140 cometic MLS headgasket that'll safely lower your compression, as well as ARP2000 head studs. The gasket and studs are a MUST for any sort of longevity on your setup IMO.
Jordan has some good stuff...a good friend of mine taught him.

OP I can hook you up if you need. Same for you PedroBMW, although it doesn't have to be remote. PM me for more info regarding these tunes if interested...that goes for any OBD2 car as well actually. I bet the stock DME tune I have will be better than Nick G's.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
///tyron
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroBMW View Post
Yeah, been thinking about doing it for a while, I think it would make the car easier to sell one day when I am finally done with it having normal OBD diagnostics and stuff, we'll see, I want to maintain OBD2 but I hate the idea of having someone else's tuning on my car because I'm certain I'll end up nit-picking it to death.
How are you passing the new etest if you' were originally obd2 and running a standalone?

The only thing holding me back from switching to a stand alone is this new e-test law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: