Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Run off the road...possible writeoff?

I was driving to work last Sunday (Sep 1st) around 0530, going straight through an intersection on a green light near the airport. A black Accord makes a right turn from my right side into the same direction as I'm going, running the red (no stop whatsoever) and proceeds, without signalling or looking, to move directly into my lane (left lane of a four-lane divided road).

I braked like there was no tomorrow and swerved, luckily managing to avoid contact by about 5 cm. However, the swerving sent me into the median curb, where the car made contact with the cement, damaging my tire, wheel, and possibly steering components.

The Accord drove off without heeding my screeching tires or honking. I followed it into a parking lot and confronted the driver, who apologised profusely and stated that she "didn't see [me] coming around the corner" .
I took her insurance info and made a not-at-fault claim, had the car in for damage assessement on Friday. I haven't had to use it yet, but I do have video of the incident (dashcams ftw)

My car is driveable, but two days ago on the way home it died repeatedly while in motion and it has developed a massive shake from the front end. I'm worried that the contact may have caused some additional damage, and I'm worried about driving it now.

For now, I'm guessing I'll be getting a new wheel and tire, definitely an alignment too. The impact was not bad at all, more of a solid graze than a crash, but I'm wondering what else may have been impacted. I'm concerned that if I need a new rack or suspension components in addition to this, her insurance may write the car off (1988 E30 I bought for $350 two years ago) which puts me in a bind. I can't bear the thought of losing it.

Anyone been through a situation like this before? I'm new to this (never been in a collision where my car was involved). Any thoughts/comments/related wisdom/words of comfort?
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

All I can say is you are LUCKY it wasn't like this!
My friend was just cut off in the same way yesterday, from a woman in an E90 and it left him with broken ribs, and the car...well...you get the idea!

If you don't push too much, they wont write it off...but if it costs $4000 for them to fix it, they will give you the $$$ for the car and call it a day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-09 17.21.27.jpg (228.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-09-09 19.36.06.jpg (208.1 KB, 214 views)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Ouch. Yeah, I'm definitely thankful; luckily I saw it coming and had already slowed down. Poor guy...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

the no looking/stopping/no f*cks given morons who make right hand turns out of driveways/side streets is literally the biggest driving problem going these days.

its out of control. People dont stop and cause all kinds of accidents.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Probably a poor outlook but it always seems wiser to take the hit then to avoid. When you avoid you are screw.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Probably a poor outlook but it always seems wiser to take the hit then to avoid. When you avoid you are screw.
I've always thought this too. What happens if you try to avoid, hop onto a curb and hit a pedestrian? That would be my worst nightmare. Seems counter-intuitive though.

Guess it just comes down to knowing what is around you 100% of the time, and hoping your reflexes are well tuned.

Glad you're ok!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
I've always thought this too. What happens if you try to avoid, hop onto a curb and hit a pedestrian? That would be my worst nightmare. Seems counter-intuitive though.

Guess it just comes down to knowing what is around you 100% of the time, and hoping your reflexes are well tuned.

Glad you're ok!
Mark Donohue wrote that he was taught by an old timer that this is true on track as well. He said coming around a turn, you see someone spinning in front of you, you aim right for him - that it pretty much always leads to a better outcome than trying to avoid.

The title of this thread made me think of this video that's been going viral today

Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post

Glad you're ok!
Pretty much. However, the way it was explained to me by the insurance, the other driver caused an "emergency situation"--which transfers fault (at least partially) to them. Not much of a relief when there's injury/death involved, but still good to know. I think me having it on video makes this case pretty easy to resolve.

@BigD: That's tantamout to attempted murder!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
@BigD: That's tantamout to attempted murder!
Totally! And in the top comment the OP says, I brought it to the marshall's attention and they did what they could... ie nothing? That dude needs a major NASCAR style beatdown
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

A little update: I went through with a not-at-fault claim and had the car in for repairs last week. Got a new tire, refinished the wheel and got an alignment; no writing off, although it cost the insurance $630 (almost twice the original value of the car!)

Win!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Good to hear! Do you know what was causing the shaking or random dying?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

I would have had her charged with a fail to stop for red light and get 3 points and a fine for her stupidity. Glad you're ok and your car should be even better than it was prior to the hit.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear you got her fixed T... always nice to have video to back up your claim... and I guess you had a good adjuster who knows what these cars are really worth.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
Good to hear! Do you know what was causing the shaking or random dying?
shaking was caused by a dire need for an alignment (I had 2/3 of a degree off altogether!). Engine dying, I don't know. It never happened again.

@slemmer: I would, but I think my rather assertive telling her off probably did a much better job of that. Car is definitely better now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: