Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Brake Light Issue

Lately, I've been having trouble with my brake lights. Occasionally, the brake light warning on the check panel would illuminate. I would check the brake lights and they'd still be functional. I'd restart the car and the warning would go away. After a few times of this happening, finally the brake lights actually went out while driving. I checked the bulbs, none are burnt out but there are a few that have brass housings. I also pulled the pedal switch and checked it with a multimeter for continuity when the circuit is closed and it seems to work fine. Last night, I re-installed the pedal switch and oddly everything seemed to be working fine again. Just drove the car to work (30km drive) and 2min from the office, the warning light came on again. I thought maybe the pedal switch plunger was sticky and not extending when the pedal was depressed. I pulled the knee panel and checked and it seemed to be releasing fine. Do you think it could be the brass bulbs causing this intermittent issue? Any other suggestions?
aberg83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I have a the same issue with both my E30s, one car it happens every time I drive it, the other it only happens every once in a while.

I've never actually tried to troubleshoot the issue though.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

My biggest concern is that my brake lights actually go out sometimes which is unsafe and could land me a nice ticket.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I'd say just make sure all the bulbs have are the same, so get rid of the brass bulb, and make sure the contact surfaces are clean of any oxidation or corrosion because if there's a contact that's a bit flaky the circuit will trip.

Also make sure to check the 3rd brake light in the rear window.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

I had this happen a few times early on this season. Then one of my turn signal bulbs went out. Once I replaced that I haven't had any issues with the brake light warning coming on.

Coincidental, you betcha. Possibly useful information? Doubtful.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
I had this happen a few times early on this season. Then one of my turn signal bulbs went out. Once I replaced that I haven't had any issues with the brake light warning coming on.

Coincidental, you betcha. Possibly useful information? Doubtful.
When the bulb went out, did it take the whole circuit with it?

Also, do you buy replacement bulbs at the dealer? They're $13 each! ouch! Wondering if crappy tire or parts source carries the proper sylvania nickel bulbs.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

CrappyTire. You can get a two pack for like $4. Either Sylvania or GE bulbs, doesn't really matter which you use.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Well, it kinda slowly died. First the running light portion of the light died and a few days later the blinker section died. I didn't notice this for a while because I barely drive the car at night. It didn't take the whole circuit with it. But after I replaced that turn signal bulb no more strange issues with the check light.

Also, i got my replacement bulbs from the tire. They were cheap.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
My biggest concern is that my brake lights actually go out sometimes which is unsafe and could land me a nice ticket.
I had the same issue. I traced it down to a broken fuse link in the circuit that checks the brake light. It is in a small plastic box up behind the cluster.

You have to remove the old fusible link and replace it with an automotive fuse
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

I replaced all the bulbs just now, no luck. So I pulled fuse #6 even though it didn't look broken. I replaced with a 10A fuse and a piece of metal to have it seat a little tighter. The original fuse seemed a little loose. Brake lights work now and no check warning. I know having a higher rated fuse is generally bad practice but I read somewhere about people doubling the rating on this circuit for some reason. Anybody heard of this before?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Brake light, shmake light who needs 'im?
Just use your hand signals out the window, perfectly legal.

Hand signal review... arm extended straight out = left turn, arm extended with fore arm at 90* up = right turn, arm extended with fore arm at 90* down = stop.

Perfectly acceptable under the law.... ik this was'nt very helpful with your issue I just felt like causing trouble in a helpful way lol...
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: