Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
bmwins
2nd Gear Member

330ci Muffler Delete

Before i get harrassed i have done a LOT of research. I am leaning towards doing the muffler delete on my car. im leaving resonators in place. i just wanted a recommendation from someone for where i should do the muffler delete. most shops have been quoting me 150+ but i think its only because they want to sell me an exhaust instead. if anyone has done a muffler delete on a 330ci in toronto please let me know where and how much. i will not do it only if someone can give me a better reason than loss of torque which is a myth and even if its true im pretty sure i will not feel any difference at all. or getting harrassed by cops becuase i see millions of cars with loud exhausts everyday. why would myne be any different?
bmwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

What would a muffler delete provide? Is this a new fad?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Noyz Boyz - Talk to Jameel. He knows me and my car, they did my setup. No muffler to speak of, mandrel bends.

It's actually not even that loud on the 330, because of your luxury-car spec resonators (). You've youtube'd it, right?

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Michel
6th Gear Member

People do this a lot on E46fanatics. It sounds pretty good from what I've heard, and its not too loud as Mystikal explained. It should be cheaper to do than 150+$ IMO (although I'm not familiar with exhaust shops).

The only reason I personally would not do this is if you plan to get headers down the road; might not sound great in that case.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
bmwins
2nd Gear Member

yes i have youtubed it. love the sound. i called noyz boyz and they said 160. i still think thats over priced. it should be like 100 flat. if anyone has this done to their 330ci please let me know how u like it. anyone else know a good place for this?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Michel
6th Gear Member

Maybe if you cut the muffler off yourself and then go to a muffler shop with the pipes and ask how much to weld them in place. Might be cheaper that way; and cutting the muffler off isnt hard.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwins View Post
yes i have youtubed it. love the sound. i called noyz boyz and they said 160. i still think thats over priced. it should be like 100 flat. if anyone has this done to their 330ci please let me know how u like it. anyone else know a good place for this?
That's a fair price. Due to the mandrel bends and fact that they have to line up TWO pipes perfectly side by side for our cars (it's extremely obvious if the weld is off by even 1 degree by the time the pipes end at the bumper) and adding the stainless piping and ~2 hours of labour, it's fair.

I'd pretty much guarantee poor results (crush bends, cheap metal, leaky welds, crooked tips, any combo of the above) if you find somewhere cheaper than that. They're barely making money.

@stancejay
Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

+1. That price is more than reasonable for quality work.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

I'd like to do that to my vert if the noise isn't too annoying.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Mystikal

90% of the noise depends on how you drive. At the very light throttle loads I use in daily driving, it's pretty much the same as any reasonable aftermarket exhaust. But with how my friends drive (cough anuk cough) it's LOUD. If you drive anything but very conservatively, you'll get into trouble. At 70% throttle and up you can hear me about 2km away.

@stancejay
Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
pmills325i
2nd Gear Member

Hey bro, i have a 330i, i did the opposite however, i left my muffler in place and just took out both resonators instead. no word of a lie it made ZERO difference in sound. i got it done at zoro muffler near dixie/dundas, cost me total 100 cash.
BUT if you want more sound i would recommend the muffler delete. and what you could do is just hack it off yourself with a saw and then they'll just weld some tips on there for you, wouldnt cost you more than a hundo for sure.

Last edited by pmills325i; 02-15-2010 at 01:35 AM.
pmills325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
SEXSPHERE
Newb Modificator

I have this muffler delete. Totally worth it. Nice sound, not loud but noticeable. But the sound is starting to dissapear over 4.5k rpm. Let me know if you wanna look and hear it in person from my car. I live in downtown.

Labour cost including pipe $80. + the tail pipes which was $30 bought from another forum member.

Last edited by SEXSPHERE; 02-16-2010 at 12:41 AM.
SEXSPHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #13
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
i know I have an e36 and all, but in comparison to my two cars, one with resonators one without, there was a huge change in tone and pitch
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
bmwins
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXSPHERE View Post
I have this muffler delete. Totally worth it. Nice sound, not loud but noticeable. But the sound is starting to dissapear over 4.5k rpm. Let me know if you wanna look and hear it in person from my car. I live in downtown.

Labour cost including pipe $80. + the tail pipes which was $30 bought from another forum member.
I would love to hear it in person. And where did you get it for such a good price? Id like to meet up for like a coffee or something if you dont mind. I really want the mod soon. If it sounds as good as it does in videos ive seen then i will definitely do it. you have an e46 330 right?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Got mine done in Oakville at Preferred Muffler and Brake. All mandrel bent and aligned perfectly. $100.
It sounds way better and its not too loud.

call them @ 905-338-MUFF
webb70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: