Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Suspension upgrades

Can you folks educate me on suspension choices for E30 track use? Assume that I'm all stock for now except for Toyo R888's. Links to old threads much appreciated!

I attend 7 or 8 Driving Schools per year at Mosport. I'm in the advanced group, but a couple E30's and one pesky 2002 (you know who you are) always get by me! Car is super fast but leaning a LOT thru all turns, and the rear bounces a LOT through turn 3.

I looked through all the options that Turner Motorsport offers for springs, shocks and packages. Which of those would you consider, and what are the other alternatives I should look at?

Cheers!

PS - x-posting to Track Junkies

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

So you have stock springs and dampers now? What is it you're looking for? Seems you have enough experience to know if you need more spring rate, heavier dampers, different front-rear balance, etc. There are many commonly used suspension setups that people say are 'good' but it depends on what you feel the car could benefit from.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

Is your car a daily driver as well?
Whats your budget like?
Do you want to get sway bars too, or just springs/dampeners?
goldhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Might be stating the obvious, but; the best, most adjustable coilovers you can get!? So you can set up the car JUST the way you need it. After that would be sway bars, strut bars, (and assuming you already did ALL other work such as bushings, mounts, ball joints, etc!).
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
food
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
the best, most adjustable coilovers you can get!? So you can set up the car JUST the way you need it.
Not sure the expense at this point is really necessary. Coming from stock you will notice a huge different no matter if its a $5000 or a $1000 setup.

I would suggest H&R race springs and Bilsteins valved for your weight and spring rate. These are good quality parts that are serviceable and will far outlast the cheap coilovers, still provide a huge upgrade over stock.

Maybe add ground control type coilover sleeves if you really want adjustable ride height or want to corner balance the car.

Lots of people want the fancy dampers with 32 settings for both rebound and compression but do you really think you can pick the perfect setting out of 1024 possible combinations?
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

look into the turner J stock suspension, it will out perform any other "race" spring and has the best match valves Billy's available for the springs.

Ninja edit, see this has been posted in multiple sections lol

Last edited by richie_s999; 08-17-2013 at 08:38 AM.
richie_s999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
E30Jack
2nd Gear Member

anything would be an upgrade from worn stock suspension. if i were you i'd start looking into coilovers. megans, gc, etc. you can get custom coilovers from Ground Control but they're a bit spendy.
E30Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I duplicated my original posting to Track Junkies, and got a bunch of replies there as well - along similar lines I might add. Probably better to continue the discussion in one spot rather than both, so please see my response and further questions over there: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159341

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Jack View Post
anything would be an upgrade from worn stock suspension. if i were you i'd start looking into coilovers. megans, gc, etc.
WAT. No.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
E30Jack
2nd Gear Member

If he's trying to track then yes pretty much any set up would be an upgrade from worn out stock suspension & you've never used Megan's if you don't like them, they're the tits
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
If he's trying to track then yes pretty much any set up would be an upgrade from worn out stock suspension & you've never used Megan's if you don't like them, they're the tits
Right on there, Senna.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
LMAO so are you gonna put jom coilovers on your track car??
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
E30Jack
2nd Gear Member

Frankie obviously you'd go with the highest quality suspension, but if I had a choice between JOM and stock, then I'd go with JOM. Stock body roll is killer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: