Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > London, Ontario **NEW**
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
2005 bmw m3
2nd Gear Member

bmw trillium mosport driving school TODAY

Just got back from first time ever being on a track and doing a driving school.
What an awesome day and thrilling experience.
Was so nervous about taking my car out onto a racetrack and the possibilty of crashing and kissing my m3 goodbye. My in car instructor Darren was an excellent teacher. We were hooked up with helmet mikes so communication worked well and i learned so much. Had 5 30minute track sessions and increased my confidence and driving ability as the day went on. Someone got 1 pic of me and the rest i took of others at the finish line. I still can't believe i did it and can't wait to save up to do it again next year!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00326.jpg (45.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00327.jpg (49.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg me and my M3.jpg (92.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00324.jpg (149.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00328.jpg (110.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00331.jpg (104.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00332.jpg (88.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00333.jpg (122.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00336.jpg (96.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130813-00338.jpg (95.8 KB, 96 views)
2005 bmw m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Congrats on taking the school! HPDEs are one of the greatest learning environments to be in when you start out with tracking a vehicle. Thanks for posting the first pic too !

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 bmw m3 View Post
Just got back from first time ever being on a track and doing a driving school.
What an awesome day and thrilling experience.
Was so nervous about taking my car out onto a racetrack and the possibilty of crashing and kissing my m3 goodbye. My in car instructor Darren was an excellent teacher. We were hooked up with helmet mikes so communication worked well and i learned so much. Had 5 30minute track sessions and increased my confidence and driving ability as the day went on. Someone got 1 pic of me and the rest i took of others at the finish line. I still can't believe i did it and can't wait to save up to do it again next year!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you enjoyed the event! I had Darren as well in the other run group and I was a bit nervous getting back out at Mosport as it has been 2-3 years since. He was definitely a great teacher and was awesome to have him take me around during the instructor's lapping session in his Cayman S. I believe I briefly talked to you asking whereabouts Darren was. Sorry for leaving the convo as I was trying to catch a ride with Darren at that point.

BTW, thanks for taking the last pic Rarely ever see my car in motion.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
davericher20
black and blue

Congrats! Most people are pussies when it comes to the GP track (or any track) and it breaks my heart. Kudos to you for having the balls to do it!
Coming from a newbie did at anytime you feel unsafe or feel like your instructor was telling you to do things beyond your comfort level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
2005 bmw m3
2nd Gear Member

The only time i felt unsafe was before actually getting to the track for the first time and not knowing what the heck was going to happen. Once I got there, went through 1 hour inclass safety instruction. Then met my instructor and drove into the pits and then onto the track. You go around the track a few laps at reduced speed to familiarize yourself with the course layout etc. At this point i had lots of cars passing me but that becomes a non issue pretty quick as i focused on my driving skills. The most important thing i learned was that your not out there to race and beat everyone. There are strict passing rules on how, when and where you can pass and where people can pass you. My instructor responded to my comfort level and before we went on the track each time we went over what we wanted to work on. After first track session I was so pumped and glad i had decided to do this. I was still overwhelmed with all the info you are trying to process on the track ie. turn in line, braking, apex, cornering, accelerating etc. By the fourth track session I had improved so much that I was the one who was passing cars
Old 08-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Overall it was a lot of fun and a real good learning experience.

My only beef was that in C group it seemed that as the day progressed a bit of ego developed with some of the drivers. In one of the sessions the on the back straight the Lingenfelter CTS-V signalled me to pass but decided to put his foot on the floor as I came up beside him, then decided to actually let me pass after I had caught up to him. And in the last session of the day a couple of the C group drivers thought that they were pretty fast so they wouldn't signal me by even though I was on their tail lap after lap. They weren't driving slow, but they were definitely holding me up.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
I was in the A group and I had almost similar experience too. I won't name the cars, but for example I had closed in on one by turn 4 and was hoping at the exit of 5b they would let me through. Instead they decided to lead foot their higher horsepower car and by turn 8 I would be right up behind them. It took probably two laps before they finally let me through. Seeing that these cars had instructors in with them, I was surprised they did not ask the student to let the faster drivers behind pass. Whenever I saw someone closing in on me and I knew my pace was not as quick I would let them through. Why hold up someone who's faster unless if you know both of your paces are comparable.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
2005 bmw m3
2nd Gear Member

I found some cars were much faster than mine on the back stretch so I would signal them to pass but than on there tail in the corners and they would not signal for me to pass coming out of those turns when it was allowed. My instructor was constantly encouraging me to let higher speed cars pass me when allowed and getting frustrated when slower cars with instructors would not give way. I'll admit I wasn't perfect out there my biggest challenge as a newbie was to look in the mirrors more to be aware of upcoming drivers and look out for the marshals with passing flags.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

I think a lot of people just confuse what a school is with what a lapping day is (let alone a race). If you just want to tickle your prostate, do a lapping day - there you can make a case for not letting someone by if it means lifting. You're still a dick but bottom line is you're there to have fun. At a school, you're there to learn. If there's someone behind me, I don't care why - I let them pass. It could be because I'm waiting for a slower car to let me by and if not for that, I would have stayed ahead of the guy who caught me. But that's meaningless. It doesn't matter how many cars you pass at a school - that's like bragging that you got into a building faster than someone who held the door open for you. If everyone focused on improving their driving, there would be a lot less of this.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
But that's meaningless. It doesn't matter how many cars you pass at a school - that's like bragging that you got into a building faster than someone who held the door open for you. If everyone focused on improving their driving, there would be a lot less of this.
I don't care how many cars I pass either, but that's not the point. If I'm trying to increase my pace, and start pushing braking zones deeper as I get more comfortable with my car and the track I can't do that if there are people in front of me holding me up lap after lap

Usually I'll just take a run down pit lane in those situations in hopes of coming out in some clear air, but in that instance I knew that behind me was a train of slower cars and I could see that there was no one ahead of the couple cars that were holding me up, so I just sat behind them hoping they'd eventually signal me by. Like 330DTM said, I was also surprised that their instructors didn't tell them to let me by.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 08-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I don't care how many cars I pass either, but that's not the point. If I'm trying to increase my pace, and start pushing braking zones deeper as I get more comfortable with my car and the track I can't do that if there are people in front of me holding me up lap after lap
It is the point. If they didn't care how many cars they passed and how many cars passed them (you know, winning), they wouldn't hold you up.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It is the point. If they didn't care how many cars they passed and how many cars passed them (you know, winning), they wouldn't hold you up.
I actually misread what you wrote, when I first read it I though you were trying to say who cares if they don't let you pass, you're just there to have fun and focus on improving your driving. I don't care about passing, I just care about being held up because in effect it's holding up my learning lol.

I agree with what you are saying.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
CamE46
1st Gear Newbie

Hey 2005 bmw m3, Its Cam from toronto...the guy with the exact same car as you...once again you looked awesome out there...and the pic came out quite well..stay in touch
CamE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
dcramer
5th Gear Member

So this is your first school, so presumably you would be out with everyone else that was new or at your level. At that level most people are overwhelmed by mosport, and the instructor probably has his hands full just keeping you on the course. Once you get to the next level things get better, and better at each level at D/E events.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
So this is your first school, so presumably you would be out with everyone else that was new or at your level. At that level most people are overwhelmed by mosport, and the instructor probably has his hands full just keeping you on the course. Once you get to the next level things get better, and better at each level at D/E events.
Word. If you really want someone out of your way, get right up to their bumper. They'll usually become uncomfortable enough to let you by.

Works everytime

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: