Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Adi™
1st Gear Newbie

Hoping to get a E34 for my own! Few Q's

Hello everyone, just entered the market for my own car. I've been in love with the E34 and E30 since the first time I laid eyes on them and would be extremely ecstatic if I got my hands on one for my own.

After reading around, seems that these cars can be very dependable when taken care of, and that already got me jumping the gun lol. Being young and naive it took me awhile to realize that it can get quite pricey when it comes time to do the "take care" part.

That brings me to why I opened this topic, I'm asking for some input from you guys here before I really start looking. I'm interested in the E34 first and foremost. Considering the age of these cars already, I'm wondering if parts for them are already scarce or are they still readily available? I know that these cars didn't come with a lot of the more expensive electronic goodies that their successors did so that must help in terms of repair costs. Straight forward things I can tackle in my garage, so if parts aren't really that expensive it would be a huge plus.

Also, with the mileage that's usually found on cars of this age, what are some things I should for in terms of maintenance? There's probably quite a bit of stuff that should've been replaced already so just looking for things to ask for when/ if I find a potential car. Last thing I'd want is to find out is it's in need of several expensive fixes all around the same time.

Budget wise, what range would I be looking to pay for a decent- good condition E34? Preferably one towards the end of its generation. Is there any major price gaps between models with the M30,M50,M60? I'd lean towards the straight 6 but I wouldn't mind the V8. Also I'm perfectly fine with an auto transmission. Trying not to be picky as to keep my options more open. I know this probably isn't the best time of year to start looking but I'm hoping $4500 would get me something I can enjoy and hopefully keep running in pristine condition years down the road.

I guess best place to start is at kijiji so I think that's what I'll do, along with keeping a close eye to the 'BMW Cars For Sale' classifieds here of course

EDIT: Any major differences in the E30 and E34 market? Any more sought after or easier to find that the other? Just curious.

Last edited by Adi™; 02-24-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Adi™ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

I know that i'm not going to answer all your questions, nor am i an expert in those cars, but i'll give you my 2 cents.

Firstly, i think you'll find enough parts for these cars as they are still available here and there so that won't be too much of an issue.

Secondly, i think if it doesn't matter to you which of the two you get, i think you should lean more towards an E30 just because they are a lot more popular within the aftermarket parts available for them.

Thirdly, i would probably go for the M50 motor just because it's a popular motor...notice a trend here? I would choose the car that is or was most popular at it's prime(for parts availabilty).

...and lastly from my own experience, i would advise you to prepare yourself for fixing or "maintaining" the car pretty much non-stop. These cars are quite old now, and to use them as a daily driver, you'll be spending a lot of time, and money on them. As a hobby car, that would be a different story, but otherwise, prepare yourself...this statement doesn't only apply to old bmw's but to ANY old car.

Good luck man, and i hope that i was of some help. Maybe some E34, E30 experts can chime in as well.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Adi™
1st Gear Newbie

Thank you for your input 1bmw1. I hear what you're saying on the looking for what was/ is popular on the road. Although I like the E30 and it does seem to be more available, I have to try my best to get a hold of an E34 first, the car is just beautiful top to bottom =p I remember seeing one pulling up beside when I was a kid riding in the back seat, thought it was the coolest thing ever, moved the "flip up" headlights from my dads Trans AM down to second place lol. I understand that it will require a lot more care and maintenance, even a little more money to keep it running compared to something more modern, and I'm willing to cover for all that. I just need to do more research. I'm so excited I can just hop on kijiji, find the first the E34 and jump the gun, but I know enough to figure out where that will lead me.

EDIT: Not much on Kijiji now anyways, pretty much just

E34 535i $1500

1995 540i $2500

Last edited by Adi™; 02-26-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Adi™ is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: