Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

HELP! E36 won't start / electrical problems after wash!

I was power washing the E36 last month and suddenly noticed the DRL (high beams at low power) had come on. The key was in the off position, but the digital climate control was on, the fan was blowing, and the cluster was in an awkward state as well (some of the gauges / lights were on, perhaps intermittently, don't remember exactly). The car would start and run fine, but when I turn it off and remove the key, all of those things stay on (DRLs, climate control, cluster). I tried unplugging the battery for a bit, but all of those things would come back on when i reconnect it.

I figured I shorted something with water, so I unplugged the battery and let the car sit and dry (indoors).

Fast forward a month later, I connect the battery back, and the funny electrical gremlins seem to be gone. However, now the car won't start at all! It just cranks forever. Any ideas where to start looking?
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

That's either fuel or spark. You should be able to hear the fuel pump come on for a second when your turn the key to the ignition position after the car hasn't been touched for a while.
If it's spark, then it could be the crank position sensor that failed. It could also just be some fuses or a ground wire.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

you flooded your ecu because you have leaves clogging your drains in the wiper/fanbox. When that happens the compartment fills up with water and it seeps into the ecu area. Your ECU is the culprit now. I suggest clearing those drains first so you don't flood the new one
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

That's what I thought too.. Pulled out the DME and unplugged, it seemed dry.. there was also a relay attached to the loom nearby... Unplugged that too.

Blew some air on all of the connectors (like a Nintendo cartridge)... Plugged everything back in, and now the car is fine! WTF.
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
check if you have a CEL in 3rd position, if you dont your ecu is toast. if you do it could still be the ECU but that's less likely

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan View Post
That's what I thought too.. Pulled out the DME and unplugged, it seemed dry.. there was also a relay attached to the loom nearby... Unplugged that too.

Blew some air on all of the connectors (like a Nintendo cartridge)... Plugged everything back in, and now the car is fine! WTF.
start cleaning those drains!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: