Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
marco328is
3rd Gear Member

looking to do some work on my e92

so last summer i decided to get rid of my 96 e36 and upgrade to a 07 e92.

at the time i was looking for a 330 or 335 but time was running out and i got a sweet deal on a 328i.

i'm currently working with a programmer overseas. (friend) to create a better performance software to increase my torque and hp but i have some questions in regards to other things i need to get done. (right now i have an increase of 31hp and car feels has much better response)

there isn't much i want to do to my car but the things i have in mind have to be done right so advice from fellow maxbimmer enthusiast would be greatly appreciated.

1. suspension - i'm looking for some good coilovers that would give my a nice drop in the summer but can be easily raised in the winter months. something that isn't two bumpy as i drive 90km one way to work everyday.

2. air & exhaust - i was really thinking of installing a complete M3 exhaust. the reason for this was that i'm not a big fan of noisy cars. I like the quietness while running at low RPM's but like to hear it roar when over 5000.
I'm also a fan of the dual exhaust so purchasing a rear M3 bumper wouldn't be a problem. ANY other suggestions on air and exhaust systems???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 477276_10152776979945043_173569981_o.jpg (444.2 KB, 140 views)
marco328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

You're wasting time and $$ if you're looking for more hp... just get a 335 or e46 m3.

If you want good coilovers, Bilstein pss10 will be very nice set for dd.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
marco328is
3rd Gear Member

i'm not looking for crazy HP.. just want it to be a little more fun to drive.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
cormier
6th Gear Member

Not an e90 guy but is the m3 system even similar to yours? Maybe better off researching 328 systems that are not too loud or getting your own built.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Nice upgrade, the e92 328i coupe is a nice reliable DD.

Not very popular mod wise, but im sure the basic intake, exhaust and a tune would help as long as you aren't looking for huge hp. I believe it was the earlier e90 325i that was more mod friendly to make close to 330i power.

I'd focus on your suspension and coil-overs and maybe a few cosmetic mods (shadow-line, tints, m-tech bits). If you plan to winter drive the car, I recommend you look for ones that are stainless steel, I had a set of FK Silverlines and after two winters they still looked new and had no issues with adjusters.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
marco328is
3rd Gear Member

well i just came back from putting my original software back in. the tune was nice and much quicker but for some reason i was getting less than 300km on a full tank.

I'm waiting on another guy who promised it should be much better but might not have the power as the one i removed. (oh well)

i'll look into the Silverlines. thanks for the advice
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Like others have said, I wouldn't spend much time or money chasing power in this car. I think your car already has the 3 stage intake manifold? If not, that seems to make a bit of a difference along with a good tune like the Active Autowerke to take advantage of it.

Others seem to think the BMS Power Box makes a difference especially if you have an Auto.

The only other mods that make much of a difference are headers (expensive) and the rest of the exhaust. You can also get a Euro intake but I think it makes more noise than power.

I have an E91 on KW V1 coilovers. It's about an inch or so lower than your car and I still like the ride for a daily driver (100 km / day).
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
marco328is
3rd Gear Member

3 stage intake manifold!!!!
may consider this. just doing some reading on it now

anyone here have experience with this
Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Revision2
1st Gear Newbie

The eurobox intake is something worth considering even though its performance benefits are debatable but simplifies your maintenance! Just unscrew the top and swap the filter, unlike the stock NA one where you have to take out the entire airbox every time. A number of e90post guys source it from overseas cause it's a bit cheaper but it takes a bit of patience to find and ship or get it via ECSTuning in the US.

As mentioned, the most common power mod for the 328 is the 3 stage intake manifold with an AA tune. A lot of people also suggest the BMW performance exhaust which is relatively quiet until you let the RPMs climb. It is an OEM part after all.

Finally the most common coilovers people use are KW V1s. Although I am hearing a growing number of people suggesting BC Racing coilovers for non XIs because for roughly the same price you also get dampening adjustments.
Revision2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Ali-323i
2nd Gear Member

As others have said, I've read the largest benefits are from the 3-stage IM (3IM) and AA tune. FYI you can't piggy-back a BMS Powerbox (PBX) with an AA tune. I have the PBX and the power gains are mildly noticeable, but the increased throttle response is definitely nice.
It's almost anonymous that BMW PE is the best exhaust for these cars in terms of sound, not too loud, but a nice tone with no drone.

I've done an Injen air intake on my car, not for the power (as it probably does nothing), but for the real nice sound it gives the engine.

Happy Modding!
Ali-323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

i would not bother with power gains on a 328, huge waste of money IMO.

Make it look nice, and just cruise !!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: