Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
dejan_da_dude
E36-err
 
dejan_da_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTA Area
Posts: 36
Failing emmitions - Please Help


Hey everyone, I have had my e36 318 with an e36 m3 engine conversion for about a year now and its time to do the emission test. Now the m3 engine has been converted to OBD1 and the airpump on the left hand side of the engine bay has been taken off, from what I read this is just to suck in cold air into the engine on start up..

I just replaced the o2 sensor and new cat. My issue is that my NOx levels are going crazy high. I used my friends stock exhaust and my NOx level on his was 2591 and the limit is 485. My exhaust is a 2 1/2" pipe with a new Cat, Supersprint muffler and the OBD1 system only uses 1 O2 sensor.. any advice?

Here is my most recent Etest.
Photobucket

Last edited by dejan_da_dude; 06-03-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Picture
dejan_da_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
325isdan
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,094
I am sorry I can not help, but they test your inline 6 as a inline 4?
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
simplycars
6th Gear Member
 
simplycars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakville / Mississauga
Posts: 1,592
the car is still technically 318i - swap is not documented at the mto and vin doesn't indicate the swap hence it is 4 cylinder.
__________________
simplycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
325isdan
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,094
but wouldn't the tolerances for an inline 6 be greater than an inline 4?
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
blk3
4th Gear Member
 
blk3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oshawa On Canada
Posts: 815
he would still fail even if it was tested as a 6, check out the nox reading
blk3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 4,534
you should be able to get tested under the "hot rod" test.

your car being a 93, the motor you have in it was not avalible in that model year so you may be able to have them test it under that rule.

that being said your HC is way high, spend the money on a drive clean diaognostic, not only can it pin point why your failing, but your motor is not running propperly and could actually improve performance and gas milage if you get it fixed
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,717
Does the s52 have an EGR valve?
If so make sure that is functioning correctly.
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
dejan_da_dude
E36-err
 
dejan_da_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTA Area
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
you should be able to get tested under the "hot rod" test.

your car being a 93, the motor you have in it was not avalible in that model year so you may be able to have them test it under that rule.

that being said your HC is way high, spend the money on a drive clean diaognostic, not only can it pin point why your failing, but your motor is not running properly and could actually improve performance and gas mileage if you get it fixed
Your absolutely right about the hot rod since its a 92/93 production date. Thank you so much richie_s999. I will definitely get that taken looked at. I used my friends exhaust and I passed the HC level perfectly. Its most likely because I'm using a mangaflow cat...

and for "Does the s52 have an EGR valve?" question, I had my car converted onto the ODB1 system, so it might have been taken of, I assume you might be talking about the pump that's attached to the valve on the left side of the engine(exhaust manifold)
dejan_da_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
dejan_da_dude
E36-err
 
dejan_da_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTA Area
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
but wouldn't the tolerances for an inline 6 be greater than an inline 4?
Yeah i asked the etest guy since he's a friend of my dads and he said the limit levels are the same.. which I have no idea now since wouldnt the 6 cyl. product more gases
dejan_da_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejan_da_dude View Post
and for "Does the s52 have an EGR valve?" question, I had my car converted onto the ODB1 system, so it might have been taken of, I assume you might be talking about the pump that's attached to the valve on the left side of the engine(exhaust manifold)
Not having an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve can be the cause of the high HC and NO readings, so if your car had one, and then it was removed that could potentially be the cause
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejan_da_dude View Post
Yeah i asked the etest guy since he's a friend of my dads and he said the limit levels are the same.. which I have no idea now since wouldnt the 6 cyl. product more gases
No not really, i'm not sure but i believe removing the secondary air pump effect emissions, but i thought that was only on start up. It sounds like it's a bigger problem most likely due to the swap. Is the motor running strong? Are you getting good gas mileage?
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
Petinko
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 161
legally the mto can only make you spend 450$ in emissions related repairs... it doesn't need to pass.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driv...v_faq.php#What is the Repair Cost Limit and what repairs and services qualify?
Petinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
richie_s999
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petinko View Post
legally the mto can only make you spend 450$ in emissions related repairs... it doesn't need to pass.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driv...v_faq.php#What is the Repair Cost Limit and what repairs and services qualify?


You can only do that once. In 2 years it will have to pass or no sticker.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
dejan_da_dude
E36-err
 
dejan_da_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTA Area
Posts: 36
Exacly, Ive been looking into the hot rod certification because it should work.. The engine was not made in the year that my car was manufactored...
dejan_da_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
dejan_da_dude
E36-err
 
dejan_da_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTA Area
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
No not really, i'm not sure but i believe removing the secondary air pump effect emissions, but i thought that was only on start up. It sounds like it's a bigger problem most likely due to the swap. Is the motor running strong? Are you getting good gas mileage?
The engine runs amazing, I just put in a new OBD1 tune chip and a newer O2 sensor. Pulls really good and gas milage seems good too.
dejan_da_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.