Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Lapping at Grand Bend

There's an open session on Thursday, August 1st. Runs from 5pm to dusk. I've never been there before, but for $50 with pre-registration ($75 at the gate, iirc), it seems like it be worth trying.

Would love to see some other E30's out there.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Interested in hitting a lapping evening there, but gonna need to make it an overnight, 3.5hr drive, might have to be combined with a night of camping.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Pinery is only a 20 minute drive from the Motorplex and there's lots of B&B options in Grand Bend. Also, I can offer up my couch.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

hmm...50 bucks is damn cheap
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Yeah, considering autoslalom is $50 for non trillium members and all that gets you is 5 runs around a pylon course in a parking lot.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Yeah, considering autoslalom is $50 for non trillium members and all that gets you is 5 runs around a pylon course in a parking lot.
This is why I don't autoslalom. Also, really hard on the tires.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Yeah I burned up a brand new set of star specs last year by running in every event of the season. It's only really a problem in small lots though, if we had a huge stadium lot to use it wouldn't be as bad.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Called Grand Bend this afternoon. Apparently a lot of space left for open lapping. I've registered beginner since I've never been there before but it doesn't sound like they have very good turnout for these events so once you get comfortable you can move between groups.

For people that would need to crash, my couch is open and I can set up an air mattress in my living room. Just give me some heads up.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

I've been to grand bend its a fun course, similar to cayuga,...

My E30 hit 142km/hr on the straight... It was also my first ever lapping experience, and last that i've seen in that car, I've missed two sessions with the people I usually go with so far this year cause my car is not running correctly and misfiring (see my SOS thread)

We usually leave around 2pm from Chatham and its about a 2 hours drive for us, so we make it back the same night, it will make a late night and a lazy morning at work, but well worth it ...

If a miracle happens and I figure out my misfires, maybe I'll make it out there, but doubtful as I've been trying to troubleshoot this thing since June, almost thinking its SETA swap time. I got one on a stand in my garage, but trying to hold off until I can afford a paint job and rebuilt the head with the dual valve springs etc...

Have fun out there, and bring back your baby in one piece.
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

I run a stock SETA motor in my car with a MarkD chip. Rev limiter is raised to 5600 RPM. Pulls hard and not noticeably slower than an i motor. I say do it and swap your i cam, rockers and intake into it. Apparently it runs acceptably with a 173 dme and stock tune according to a dude I'm taking to on R3v about it.

Hopefully we see you out on the 1st.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Cool, Got the 173, got the chip (well its a TMS conti chip), my plan was this or next winter maybe take the head off this I motor and rebuild that one and slap it on the SETA block... while the car is getting painted so the engine bay will match the body panels...

problem is, my money is tied up in a dedicated track car,... I may be able to get that build finished by the end of this year, just finished yanking the wirring harness out and its just about due to go get a cage welded in and fix up the floor pan of all the typicall rust spots etc... So I really have 2 options.

The race engine is basically another SETA, but this thing was machined, oversized valves, hotter cam etc... Can't wait to get that running too...

debating now if I should get a miller WAR chip installed for that...
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerk View Post
The race engine is basically another SETA, but this thing was machined, oversized valves, hotter cam etc... Can't wait to get that running too...

debating now if I should get a miller WAR chip installed for that...
Now you have my attention. Details? I'm contemplating doing exactly this to my current motor and running the diypnp megasquirt unit. How much did you lop off the head/block? +1 valves? Which cam? Did you machine relief into the pistons? how much valve clearance do you have? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Anyway, here's a video of me flogging my car (with stock SETA motor) from yesterday:

Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

cool, awesome video, like and angle... I usually just mount my go pro on the dash, gonna have to try that angle next time...

as far as the motor goes, I'm not actually sure of the exact details of build as far as the machining goes,... I didn't do it myself, a local E30 guy built the engine for another customer, but he was trying to use it on the street... I know it has a 272 cam for sure, anyhow, he kept fouling up the plugs from baby'ing it on the street, there's even a fuel pressure regulator installed on it to try and lean it out... but from what I've been told, this engine needs to be rev'ed up... It's all nicely painted, and I was told there was only 900km's on the engine...

I'll see if I can get the machining work details for you...

My original plan, how I ended up with the stock SETA was to build that one up to race spec... then this engine came through, already built... So I'm just gonna do a mild stock rebuild with the 7200rpm rev limiter dual springs etc and put it in my 87 IS when the engine in it is due to retire... which might be sooner rather than later...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Woofer
6th Gear Member

Sweet vid. That SETA sounds real nice man! Also the interior looks well kept too. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can join you guys this August. I want to get as much tracking in as possible before the season ends!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
Anyway, here's a video of me flogging my car (with stock SETA motor) from yesterday:

Nice, looks like you pretty much had the track to yourself, only a handful of cars were in the paddock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerk View Post
as far as the motor goes, I'm not actually sure of the exact details of build as far as the machining goes,... I didn't do it myself, a local E30 guy built the engine for another customer, but he was trying to use it on the street... I know it has a 272 cam for sure, anyhow, he kept fouling up the plugs from baby'ing it on the street, there's even a fuel pressure regulator installed on it to try and lean it out... but from what I've been told, this engine needs to be rev'ed up... It's all nicely painted, and I was told there was only 900km's on the engine...
272 is still a fairly mild cam, shouldn't have any problems streeting it. Also the guy must have used some injectors that flow way too high for the stock computer to be able to compensate with the fuel trim, so it sounds like the guy tried to compensate even further by running a lower fuel pressure. Just put some 17# or 19# injectors and it should run fine. My 2.8 stroker has been putting down 180whp on 19# injectors without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
Sweet vid. That SETA sounds real nice man!
Long tube headers will make any M20 sound sexy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: