Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
duaux
1st Gear Newbie on a BMW

Question Auto Transmission Fluid & Filter Change Recommendation

Hi,

For those who have changed their auto transmission fluid & filter (full flush), new gasket, cleaning of the pan, etc. and your car(s) (1999+) have not blown up/are still running strong, can you recommend the mechanic you used please? I am located in the GTA area. If you can’t post the price for whatever reason, please PM.

I am looking for a reputable independent mechanic, who believes in performing this type of service, is confident, and who does it regularly. I am not planning on signing any waiver of liability for me to do this service. My regular mechanic (forum sponsor who will remain unnamed) does not believe in it. As much as I respect the shop/guy, I still believe I should go ahead with this. Signing a waiver liability can also limit their workmanship if not done properly on their part. E.g., they end up using the wrong cleaning materials, ordering and using the wrong oil, etc. Therefore signing a waiver would not be best for me as a customer.

Note (1): This is NOT a thread to debate whether I should or should not change my Automatic Transmission fluid and filter which is rated as “lifetime” by BMW. I understand there are pros and cons and a TON of discussions from other BMW forums. I have already decided that I would like to go ahead with this “preventative” maintenance and I believe the pros outweigh the con.

Note (2): My transmission is running perfectly normal. No slips, popping out of gear, etc.

Note (3): My SAV is a 2006 BMW X3 (E83) @ approximately 155K KM’s.

Thank you.
duaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

change the transfer case and diff oil too as those transfer cases start to go around 120,000 and when they are doing the pan do the connecter sleeve as they leak there too
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
duaux
1st Gear Newbie on a BMW

Hey BmW1819,

Thanks for the recommendation. I was one step ahead of you, and I have already changed the transfer case and both diffs.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

perfect try Toronto Automatic Transmission talk to bob
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
duaux
1st Gear Newbie on a BMW

Good stuff. This was the sort of recommendation I was looking for. Info on their site looks promising. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

OP good to hear you're taking the proper approach. No such thing as lifetime oil.

Make sure to get the full flush, it will take 2-3x cycles to get the old oil out of the system. This means flush out, add new oil, run through all gears and flush again. 2x should do the trick.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
duaux
1st Gear Newbie on a BMW

Exclamation

That would be pretty expensive...

Aside from that, "many" have also recommended against it and to only do a one time drain and refill. Any ways, I don't want to turn it into a full flush or not a full flush discussion.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

Its basically extra oil. Thats the only expense that would hange. I strongly recommend at least do the flush 2x to get most of the dirty oil out.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

Just an fyi, I recently did this to someones xi with a GM trany... it went into limp mode and couldn't pass 3k rpm. After the change (just one flush), everything was back to normal. One week and so far its smooth. Hopefully its all fixed with the flush.

BMW of London didn't want to touch the trany... I can see why not as they give two year warranty on their labour. If anything goes wrong within that time, they could possibly be forced to replace it.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW1819 View Post
perfect try Toronto Automatic Transmission talk to bob
Second vote for "TAT", used them for some of our stuff and always happy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: