Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
aviator
3rd Gear Member

awd coupe

Just curious has anyone ever thought about/tried to retro fit an ix awd system from a sedan into a coupe?

The wheel base is the same should be easy to swap the front axle/suspension and aux tranny right?

I just think an AWD E30 coupe would be cool... a real beast to chase down all those too cool for school quatro nerds.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

There is 2dr Xi...but i have only seen then in the US. I think they never made it to Canada...just like the wagon has never made it to US, but was sold here.
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
There is 2dr Xi...but i have only seen then in the US. I think they never made it to Canada...just like the wagon has never made it to US, but was sold here.
The wagon was never sold in North America period. Yes there are 2 door ix's here and yes the wheelbase is the same so it wouldn't be hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

It's a nightmare of a system to work on, if your gonna do it make sure you service everything before it goes into the car!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Just curious has anyone ever thought about/tried to retro fit an ix awd system from a sedan into a coupe?

The wheel base is the same should be easy to swap the front axle/suspension and aux tranny right?

I just think an AWD E30 coupe would be cool... a real beast to chase down all those too cool for school quatro nerds.
Awd e30's don't out perform the rwd so you won't be increasing your chance of chasing down quatro nerds
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

And the trans and rear diff and rear driveshaft all need to changed, its not just the frot half
Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
The wagon was never sold in North America period. Yes there are 2 door ix's here and yes the wheelbase is the same so it wouldn't be hard.
No, actually it will be VERY HARD!!!!

The XI has a specific front frame rails (for mounting of its specific subframe), and also specific front strut towers (to mount specific struts). Also has specific floor (to clear front driveshaft), specific exhaust/catalytic section to clear the transfer case, and specific rear hubs/brakes to match the high offset of the front wheels!

So, if you change about 95% of the cars driveline, and 20% of its body shell, you CAN do it, but will be much cheaper to import one from the US or even Europe at that point!!!

If I was to ever do something like that, I would do it to a Cabrio, just to be the only one! lol
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
davericher20
black and blue

Ahh, I misinterpreted the original post. I thought he wanted to take the awd system from a ix sedan and pit it into an ix coupe......which made me raise my eyebrows since why not just buy an ix coupe.
If thats the case, you will have a bery bery bad time. Everything Fil said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
aviator
3rd Gear Member

I never knew there were iX coupes having never seen one anywhere in real life or on line... now an iX cabrio... that would be a one of a kind...
knowing what a bear it would be now I agree it would be easier to import one and just swap in a KM gauge binnacle if needed.

Still makes you wonder why it was never offered here, 'specially since they where already over this side of the pond in US...
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: