Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #61
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Wanna know how I know that is a horrible idea and that that manifold will crack?

Cheaping out like that on turbo builds is what gets people into trouble in the first place.

If you're being serious about the turbo situation, at least get a proper manifold like this from Otis:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224115
I really like the design of that manifold. I contacted him already and plan to order one and pick it up personally when I'm down in Florida. I just wanted to check out something local first in case I need a special flange or different positioning.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #62
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Any pics? M42 already installed?
I see where you're going with this.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #63
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post
I really like the design of that manifold. I contacted him already and plan to order one and pick it up personally when I'm down in Florida. I just wanted to check out something local first in case I need a special flange or different positioning.
I have one of his manifolds in my car, great guy. Don't look any further, you're not going to have anything remotely as nice made for that $ and since he actually builds the manifolds with a car to test on, you don't have to worry about fitment.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #64
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

If you're considering local talent, I have to highly recommend Mark (Proper Fabrications)...

here is some of his recent work and his FB/contact page: https://www.facebook.com/ProperFabrications

Of course I'm not sure anyone will be able to match the price of an Otis manifold.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #65
Eau_Rouge
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Any pics? M42 already installed?
I've got a few pic's of the car disassembled and pic's of the drivetrain to be installed sitting on a pallet.

I haven't yet mocked up the drivetrain in the car as I haven't been able to get confirmation that a north american 6 speed will mate up to the M42.

I almost bought a 6 speed from a 2006 E90 330i from Eurostyle but when we lined up the trans to a spare engine in his shop, the bolt holes in the oil pan did not line up with the the trans. I'm trying to get confirmation that E46 6 speeds (330 or M3) line up, if so, I'll be looking to get one and mock up the driveline. If not, I'll stick with the orginal getrag that came with the M42.
Eau_Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #66
partner103
2nd Gear Member

I am subscribing to your thread... Not sure where I wanna go with mine yet. Moving between turbocharging or M52 swap.
I will see how your journey shakes out.

Not to thread-jack, but I am confused a bit.

I saw some comments here saying an S52 swap will cost less than turbocharging the M42. In another thread I posted someone said that turbocharging the M42 is less than the M52 swap. I believe an S52 is more expensive vs. M52 swaps, so I am a bit lost on this...

Last edited by partner103; 08-19-2014 at 07:08 PM.
partner103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #67
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Still planning out my Turbo project...

I'm not a big fan of the top mount manifolds most people are using, plumbing for the intake looks a little crammed. I would rather utilize the space where the a/c compressor used to live so possibly I'll fabricate my own manifold? I have some stainless pipe to play around with. Guess I'll have to spec out a turbo soon!

Out of the blue my car started running poorly this summer (replacing the TPS and ABC computer tomorrow) Also getting some smoke up around 5,000 rpm. (It's most likely carbon buildup from running too rich but at this point I can't rule out the piston ring and valve seals). If I can sort out these two issues I will move forward with the turbo build this winter, everything else it ready to go.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #68
Woofer
6th Gear Member

Can't wait to see this in action. Good luck man.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
Thearchitect
2nd Gear Member

I have been thinking of a turbo as well. I replaced all the timing on mine and unless something went wrong I don't want to swap my engine. but i see the argument price wise from a turbo to a m or s52 is it. very tough call.
Thearchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #70
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

If budget performance was my goal I think I picked the wrong car...

Truthfully.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: