Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
It's time to TURBO my M42

That manifold is a bottom mount, meant more
For e36...bottom mount is a no-go in the e30 chassis unless you want to notch your front subframe and do a bunch of other crap. I've heard of that manifold specifically not fitting well as well. Again if reliability is what you're after i wouldn't mess with an eBay turbo....very hit or miss. Which then leaves you with the piping/intercooler which is the only decent part of these kits. I'd definitely make sure I get a quality turbo manifold and turbo...don't want your manifold cracking on you down the road and your motor ingesting eBay turbo debris.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Hmmm....I'm thinking with a half decent manifold, a garrett turbo probs off a Volvo or something with similar displacement (forgot the popular one thats half-decent) you should be able to make easy 200whp with they m42 reliably. Tune will obviously spot on for it to work as well. I'd do the head gasket for a piece of mind (stocker should do) and arp head studs if they have em for the m42. Aside from that me thinks motor-wise you should be okay for 200whp. Driveline-wise I'd swap out the small case 4.10 for a a medium cased one or an even easier to find s3.73. For the clutch you can probably get away with a stock e36 m3 flywheel/pressure plate/clutch combo (get ltw flywheel if you wanna ball out a bit). I think the g240 should be able to stand up to the newfound power but if it doesn't or you're just paranoid you can use a 328/m3 ZF trans for the bulletproof solution (you'll need swap driveshafts too). Intercooler and piping are pretty simple eBay is your friend...find an intercooler that fits where you want it, makes you smile and is rated for 350-400hp. For fuelling the stock pump should work just fine (get a walbro 255 if you feel like going overboard) and #30 or #42 injectors should deliver enough fuel with extra headroom for safety. Easy to find as well and reasonably priced. For the exhaust a 2.5" single should do the job if you don't wanna loose ground clearance but a 3" single will make the system more efficient, provide better spool-up and overall power vs 2.5" single and you won't need to redo your exhaust if you one day plan to go for more power. I say 3".

I think I covered most things!
Sounds like you have done this before?

Head gasket was replaced recently but I would likely opt to drop the compression slightly with a thicker gasket, APR does make head bolts for my engine. I already swapped in a medium case 4.10 LSD. I just slapped on a low mileage G240 and the driveshaft is mint, not sure I want to get into difficulties with shift linkages and driveshafts when you swap transmissions. Not too sure on the clutch/flywheel at this point, I would have to see how my Valeo single mass holds up and go from there. I don't plan to track the car so as long as the clutch can hold the added power I should be fine. Walbro 255 would be my choice along with new fuel lines (possibly larger diameter, they are due anyways). It's expensive but I want to try and find someone capable of TIG welding an oval pipe exhaust for me (2.25x3.5) I would build a PVC mockup of manifold and exhaust if needed. The line is relatively strait but 3" round is just not possible with the rear subframe and heat shields in there. I have done a 2.5" pipe before and that barely fits. I'm totally lost when it comes to the ECU, AFM to MAF conversion, and rating the correct injectors. I know This is on the list too.

Last edited by Slowered318; 07-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
That manifold is a bottom mount, meant more
For e36...bottom mount is a no-go in the e30 chassis unless you want to notch your front subframe and do a bunch of other crap. I've heard of that manifold specifically not fitting well as well. Again if reliability is what you're after i wouldn't mess with an eBay turbo....very hit or miss. Which then leaves you with the piping/intercooler which is the only decent part of these kits. I'd definitely make sure I get a quality turbo manifold and turbo...don't want your manifold cracking on you down the road and your motor ingesting eBay turbo debris.
Are you sure, looks like you can flip it either way? Well I know of 2 people who make a top mount turbo manifold but I figure if I can find someone capable of building the exhaust to my standards they should be able to build the manifold too.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post

Head gasket was replaced recently but I would likely opt to drop the compression slightly with a thicker gasket, APR does make head bolts for my engine. I already swapped in a medium case 4.10 LSD. I just slapped on a low mileage G240 and the driveshaft is mint, not sure I want to get into difficulties with shift linkages and driveshafts when you swap transmissions. Not too sure on the clutch/flywheel at this point, I would have to see how my Valeo single mass holds up and go from there. I don't plan to track the car so as long as the clutch can hold the added power I should be fine. Walbro 255 would be my choice along with new fuel lines (possibly larger diameter, they are due anyways). It's expensive but I want to try and find someone capable of TIG welding an oval pipe exhaust for me (2.25x3.5) I would build a PVC mockup of manifold and exhaust if needed. The line is relatively strait but 3" round is just not possible with the rear subframe and heat shields in there. I have done a 2.5" pipe before and that barely fits. I'm totally lost when it comes to the ECU, AFM to MAF conversion, and rating the correct injectors. I know This is on the list too.
Wow my posts suck when I use my Iphone..lol

If you're not too slammed 3" is doable (did it on my e30m30 turbo) but if you can do oval for sure that's the better alternative as far as ground clearance is concerned. If you can get someone to build you a badass custom top mount manifold and an exhaust go for it vs the obx stuff. Not sure if flipping it would work since it can put the wastegate port in a werid position. The only way to test that would to take a risk and buy one if you decide to go that route. You definitely would be wasting money on larger fuel lines for your power goals, the stock lines have supported over 600+whp without issue.

A solid tuning solution is the grey area for your build...Are you going to be tuning it yourself or will a tuner? Would you want extra features like boost by speed/rpm, launch control etc? How important is the car still feeling and driving like stock to you? If you want a standalone you can consider a MS or VEMS. There are a few others but those are the most popular. If you're looking to get the stock ecu setup and tuned for boost I'd contact Barrie @ midnight tuning solutions, I think he has a tuned few turbo m42s.

ps:uber jealous of that boost econometer...amazing!

Last edited by e30_kid89; 07-12-2013 at 01:44 AM.
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #20
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

Quote:
Hey Ryan, looks like some big plans are unfolding for your old girl eh : ). Glad to see you're in touch with Devon (e30kid89), he knows his way around a turbo or two . From looking at some of his build threads etc. Bullet Ride seems to be quite knowledgeable in regards to FI as well. Have you spoken to Rudy at all?

My meaningless and "completely not in line with your stipulations" vote is for an S14 lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Wow my posts suck when I use my Iphone..lol

If you're not too slammed 3" is doable (did it on my e30m30 turbo) but if you can do oval for sure that's the better alternative as far as ground clearance is concerned. If you can get someone to build you a badass custom top mount manifold and an exhaust go for it vs the obx stuff. Not sure if flipping it would work since it can put the wastegate port in a werid position. The only way to test that would to take a risk and buy one if you decide to go that route. You definitely would be wasting money on larger fuel lines for your power goals, the stock lines have supported over 600+whp without issue.

A solid tuning solution is the grey area for your build...Are you going to be tuning it yourself or will a tuner? Would you want extra features like boost by speed/rpm, launch control etc? How important is the car still feeling and driving like stock to you? If you want a standalone you can consider a MS or VEMS. There are a few others but those are the most popular. If you're looking to get the stock ecu setup and tuned for boost I'd contact Barrie @ midnight tuning solutions, I think he has a tuned few turbo m42s.

ps:uber jealous of that boost econometer...amazing!
I can't stand dragging the pipe on speed bumps and driveways. Oval is the only solution I can see. I wish the Brullen shop was still around, don't know where to go at this point, I need a pro welder/fabricator. The exhaust might need to be done prior to everything else, I could build it to the current header and add the manifold and downpipe later. Thanks for the tip on fuel lines, saves me finding out by having a mechanic laugh at me.

Grey area is an understatement. Not sure what exactly works best, does the stand alone just control air/fuel and still use the factory computer for ignition? I want to ditch my faulty AFM either way but keep my gauge cluster. I really gotta look at these components in a running car to get a handle on the system, or at least see a schematic diagram.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-TRD3 View Post
Hey Ryan, looks like some big plans are unfolding for your old girl eh : ). Glad to see you're in touch with Devon (e30kid89), he knows his way around a turbo or two . From looking at some of his build threads etc. Bullet Ride seems to be quite knowledgeable in regards to FI as well. Have you spoken to Rudy at all?

My meaningless and "completely not in line with your stipulations" vote is for an S14 lol.
I don't see myself driving a normal car so I might as well have some fun with the old gal. Lol

Seems to be a few knowledgable people around Toronto and on the forums. If I ever get to the other side of this project I will hopefully be one of them. I have met Rudy a couple times but never got on the topic. Maybe someone will be around at the midnight cruise?

My vote is the Metric Mechanic 2100 FI M42. It's only $10,000 haha!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

I'm with BigD on this, if you're looking for ~200whp, an S52 will get you past that (220-230whp easy) with absolute 100% reliability and the least cost.

also a 3" exhaust is total overkill for 200 or even 300whp, I honestly don't see the point in investing that much time and money into turboing the M42 for that amount of power, especially since you WILL want more eventually and then the costs just keep rising as you start to replace parts for the quest of more power.

Either way I'd say budget approx $5k (min) to turbo your M42 from absolute start to finish.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
BigD
the misanthropist

That brings up a good point too, you don't even need an S52 for 200whp - an M52 with some mods will get you there (M50 intake, M3 cams).
Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #25
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Maybe I can aim a little higher then 200 hp, I just want to avoid major engine work until I have a something setup and running.

What can I say guys, I have a thing for 318's. They are like a detuned E30 M3 and pretty easy on gas consumption. My ideal car is something I can coast along for a long drive or wind up when I feel the need for some speed. If I was driving hard all the time I would agree with you completely.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
BigD
the misanthropist

Yeah but the E30 M3 is dogshit slow too. Pretty much any modern V8 pickup or V6 minivan is faster in a straight line.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yeah but the E30 M3 is dogshit slow too. Pretty much any modern V8 pickup or V6 minivan is faster in a straight line.
HAHAHA true... Well, currently I'm only 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile then a Prius Hybrid, the experience driving is a little different though, the Prius comes with some nifty electronic features.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yeah but the E30 M3 is dogshit slow too..
Yeah well I'd imagine if I had an S52 turbo E30 making a conservative 650whp everything would feel dogshit slow

but yes, by today's standards the E30 M3 is pretty slow in a straight line.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
HAHAHA true... Well, currently I'm only 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile then a Prius Hybrid, the experience driving is a little different though, the Prius comes with some nifty electronic features.
Sure, not saying anything about driving experience but the S52 is not exactly a lazy motor either, I don't think you'll regret the switch. There are a few swapped cars on the forum you could probably ask to get a ride in.

But yeah if you're looking for more power than that then turbo could make sense. The problem is that money goes up exponentially, or reliability does the same in the other direction.

Try to nail down your endgame before you start. If all you're looking for is to make your car livelier then the only sane choice is an S52 swap. If you're interested in learning about turbocharging and engine operation/management, and seeing what your motor could do, then turbo is the right answer but have no illusions about what you're getting into - it's not going to be a matter of buying the right parts, bolting them on and living happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Yeah well I'd imagine if I had an S52 turbo E30 making a conservative 650whp everything would feel dogshit slow

but yes, by today's standards the E30 M3 is pretty slow in a straight line.
Hehe
Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Maybe I can aim a little higher then 200 hp, I just want to avoid major engine work until I have a something setup and running.

What can I say guys, I have a thing for 318's. They are like a detuned E30 M3 and pretty easy on gas consumption. My ideal car is something I can coast along for a long drive or wind up when I feel the need for some speed. If I was driving hard all the time I would agree with you completely.
They're nothing like a detuned S14... that's what 318 owners like to say so they can feel good about their slow motor/car.

Also gas consumption goes right out the window if you're looking to boost your car. HP requires fuel. I will guarantee you that an M52 or S52 will get better fuel milage then a turbo 318, so there goes that part of your argument.

Do as you will, but for the money you will invest into turboing your m42 there are better choices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: