Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

It's time to TURBO my M42

Ok guys, I don't know where to start but I've done enough searching and dreaming. I need to hook up with someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to turbo 4 banger BMW's.

I should be able to handle the plumbing, electrical, and part hunting I just don't want to make expensive mistakes. My engine and credit should be solid enough and I don't mind upgrades as long as I have a clear direction. I hate putting in new parts only to find out I could have done better or gained more for my hard earned money.

Anyone up to the task?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
BigD
the misanthropist

What are your power goals and what are you looking to spend? How come you don't just wanna do an S52 swap?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
What are your power goals and what are you looking to spend? How come you don't just wanna do an S52 swap?
Well, I think a reliable 200 hp at the wheels would be enough. Whatever keeps it below the threshold of expensive/impractical.

I would like to obtain the turbocharger, exhaust manifold, plumbing and intercooler for somewhere under $2000. That leaves some money for electronics, fuel delivery, head gasket and to possibly upgrade internals down the road (maybe VAC or MM has something I will need).

Reason I don't want a S52 is that my whole car is built around that little 4 banger, I don't want to upset everything and start from scratch. I have spent a lot of time and money maintaining/tweaking the M42 along with the chassis, I would rather not learn a whole new engine at this point. IMHO I would be better off parking or selling the e30 in a year or two and start with something that is more performance oriented

Last edited by Slowered318; 07-08-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Makes more sense now.
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

Were you at Ted Fest?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30drifter View Post
Were you at Ted Fest?
Yeah, from about 2pm.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

Ya thought that was you. I'm the guy that started talking to you before you even had a chance to get out of that beautiful mechine of yours. Car look really nice in person.
And yes, from what I remember, you definitly put alot of money (Maintenance/up-keep)into your m42 that it would be a shame to swap it. Plus a turbo 4 would be kinda cool. Keep us updated. I definitly wanna see how this turns out. I thought about turbo-ing my m44, which is quite peppy for a 4 banger I must say.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

Thanks a lot man,

There were many nicely modified cars at the show, including a few turbocharged, It got me inspired. I wouldn't expect this to turn out for me unless I come across the right parts and the right people/information. Throwing it out there and get the ball rolling is likely the first step. For now I have a few trick parts to install and see where that takes things.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Manifold here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224115
(I'd ask for an external wastegate port if possible)

EMS here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=204722

Or something like this might be right down your alley: http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=15476.0
Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post
Well, I think a reliable 200 hp at the wheels would be enough. Whatever keeps it below the threshold of expensive/impractical.

I would like to obtain the turbocharger, exhaust manifold, plumbing and intercooler for somewhere under $2000. That leaves some money for electronics, fuel delivery, head gasket and to possibly upgrade internals down the road (maybe VAC or MM has something I will need).

Reason I don't want a S52 is that my whole car is built around that little 4 banger, I don't want to upset everything and start from scratch. I have spent a lot of time and money maintaining/tweaking the M42 along with the chassis, I would rather not learn a whole new engine at this point. IMHO I would be better off parking or selling the e30 in a year or two and start with something that is more performance oriented
Alright well the reason I ask is that it pretty much always ends up costing more than you think and it's not like bolting on a suspension kit or HIDs. You're making a very organic change and it will take time, effort and knowledge to get it to be reliable and run well. I propose that learning all of that will be a hell of a lot harder than swapping an S52, which will cost you less, be factory reliable, make more power and you can do it all yourself since it's all just wrenching, possibly with a small amount of soldering but all well documented and no guesswork.

If you are mainly after the challenge then I certainly understand that. But if all you want is about 200whp as painlessly, cheaply and reliably as possible, S52 all the way.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

That's so true, I agree with you completely. It's just that I'm due for a new exhaust soon and I have to pull the front bumper and valance to make some repairs, might even need to open up the engine. Now would be the right time to install turbo preparations if it can be done at a reasonable cost. I'm just not experienced with FI and swapping the motor would render a lot of my parts useless.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Manifold here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224115
(I'd ask for an external wastegate port if possible)

EMS here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=204722

Or something like this might be right down your alley: http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=15476.0
Damn never knew he was cranking out pnp 88pin megasquirts!

I'll chime in more on tis m42 turbo fiasco!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

I have to ask, what's a 88pin mega squirt? I looked on that website and it appears to be all m20 related.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

diyautotune doesn't sell a PNP kit for the 88 pin, that's why you don't see it on their website. Typically if you'd want to use a kit on a car that they don't offer a PNP connector for you have to take a factory DME, gut it, and then wire the megasquirt up to it so that you can plug it into the factory harness without having to hack it to bits.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Hmmm....I'm thinking with a half decent manifold, a garrett turbo probs off a Volvo or something with similar displacement (forgot the popular one thats half-decent) you should be able to make easy 200whp with they m42 reliably. Tune will obviously spot on for it to work as well. I'd do the head gasket for a piece of mind (stocker should do) and arp head studs if they have em for the m42. Aside from that me thinks motor-wise you should be okay for 200whp. Driveline-wise I'd swap out the small case 4.10 for a a medium cased one or an even easier to find s3.73. For the clutch you can probably get away with a stock e36 m3 flywheel/pressure plate/clutch combo (get ltw flywheel if you wanna ball out a bit). I think the g240 should be able to stand up to the newfound power but if it doesn't or you're just paranoid you can use a 328/m3 ZF trans for the bulletproof solution (you'll need swap driveshafts too). Intercooler and piping are pretty simple eBay is your friend...find an intercooler that fits where you want it, makes you smile and is rated for 350-400hp. For fuelling the stock pump should work just fine (get a walbro 255 if you feel like going overboard) and #30 or #42 injectors should deliver enough fuel with extra headroom for safety. Easy to find as well and reasonably priced. For the exhaust a 2.5" single should do the job if you don't wanna loose ground clearance but a 3" single will make the system more efficient, provide better spool-up and overall power vs 2.5" single and you won't need to redo your exhaust if you one day plan to go for more power. I say 3".

I think I covered most things!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

What about this nugget I found on ebay? It includes a exhaust manifold and likely enough pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/318I-318IS-3...ebd385&vxp=mtr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: