Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Keyless Remote Battery

Hey, looking to replace the battery in my keyless remote. I know I can use a primary cell, but would prefer to use the proper rechargeable. The original is a Panasonic VL 2020 and seems places in the states will not ship to Canada.

Does anyone know where to get it (or a comparable rechargeable) in Canada? Bonus if it's local to GTA.
cirrusblau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
debunn
1st Gear Newbie

It looks like DigiKey carries that type of battery, although you're looking at just over $13 with shipping (before taxes):

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail.../P082-ND/17263

If you're not in a rush, there seems to be a number of sellers on eBay carrying that type of battery as well (from $9, including shipping):

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat...vl2020&_sop=15
debunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Ah, I had initially dismissed DigiKey because of the shipping concerns coming from the states. I contacted them and turns out they cover the brokerage/duty as part of the flat $8 shipping fee. Not bad!

Thanks debunn
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Did you get dinged any extra charges for ordering from digikey? I am looking at this and worried about the entire Fedex 1-2 day thing that they will charge me more for their fees than the entire battery + taxes + shipping digikey does.

EDIT: Bought them from digikey.

Last edited by jeepo23; 02-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Nah, Digikey does it right. They do brokerage/customs and you just pay shipping. Don't think I had to pay HST since they're out of country, even though they handle the import. It's too bad more companies don't do this as it really reduces the cost.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Did you manage to get the key closed up okay? Mine pops open from time to time - still haven't found the right adhesive to hold it together.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
Did you manage to get the key closed up okay? Mine pops open from time to time - still haven't found the right adhesive to hold it together.
I wish... basically I ordered the 2 batteries they arrived the next day.. One key still wouldn't initialize the key that I managed to get working barely worked and is intermittent. I was looking at it tonight again and now it simply does not work on the remote unlock/lock at all - so I'd say one key is toast. My 2nd key I simply can't get to initialize.

Now I am stuck without being able to lock my car again. FML. Don't want to use the door lock cylinder as it will freeze and then I'll be shit out of luck.

Anyone in Canada repair these? I know there is that gm5repair dude but he really comes across arrogant when trying to talk to him.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Mine's been working flawlessly and has much better range than before (10-15' comparred to 1' or 2' before, an intermittent at best).

Did you nick any components on the board while opening it up? If you were local, I wouldn't mind taking a look, but I wouldn't feel confident attempting a repair with no way to test until shipping back to you. I don't know how the gm5repair guy tests when a repair is needed?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Do you have a good connection to the battery?

How's the charge on the battery? Mine shipped with enough of a charge to work right out of the box, but if the cell's discharged, you might need to drive with the key to charge enough to take the key pairing?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

How are you trying to initialize?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Mine's been working flawlessly and has much better range than before (10-15' comparred to 1' or 2' before, an intermittent at best).

Did you nick any components on the board while opening it up? If you were local, I wouldn't mind taking a look, but I wouldn't feel confident attempting a repair with no way to test until shipping back to you. I don't know how the gm5repair guy tests when a repair is needed?
Nah I didn't nick any components. The one key simply does not work at all now, so I'd say thats a garbage one.

Quote:
Do you have a good connection to the battery?

How's the charge on the battery? Mine shipped with enough of a charge to work right out of the box, but if the cell's discharged, you might need to drive with the key to charge enough to take the key pairing?
Yah good connection at battery, I've probed it with a volt meter, and checked for continuity on the button presses and it all works. Not sure where the issue is..

Yah the key that I can't get to initialize is used on a daily basis to drive the car, so it should charge itself enough throughout the days.

Quote:
How are you trying to initialize?
Oh the usual way, door closed, key in ignition - flip to pos 1, take out, hold unlock while tapping lock 3 times. It worked before I know i am doing the procedure correctly.

However this 2nd key I got I simply can't get it to initialize.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: