Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Tyler
1st Gear Newbie

reliable street/track 3 series

Im looking into buying a 2004 330ci. just wondering what I should do in order to have a great reliable everyday driver that can be taken to the track from time to time. I know they're known for the rear sub-frame ripping out so reinforcement is a must. let me know about some other weak spots that would need upgrading. thanks.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
StraightSix
2nd Gear Member

Oil pump nut. The M54B30 has harmonic issues at high rpm. Sustained rpms in the 6k range will cause the oil pump nut to back off from the oil pump shaft. This will cause a total loss of oil pressure. I'm sure you know what happens next.

Some people have tried welding or safety wiring the nut onto the sprocket. This has proven to only be a temporary solution as the bad harmonics of the engine eventually cause the entire oil pump shaft to shear off.

Some people have replaced the stock damper with an ATI unit which improves harmonics dramatically. Together with a welded nut this seems like the best solution.

There is also the more expensive BMW Motorsports oil pump solution.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Blades
Your opinion is to long

^ i dunno what year you had but my old 2001 330xi had none of those issues .. the guy still tracks it to this day at 480k on the engine .. minor repairs only done.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
StraightSix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
^ i dunno what year you had but my old 2001 330xi had none of those issues .. the guy still tracks it to this day at 480k on the engine .. minor repairs only done.
Doesn't matter what year. All M54B30s share this problem. (I've heard that even the S52B32 is susceptible to it.)

The issue is well documented on a lot of different forums. Your friend is either very lucky or he's aware of the issue and avoids sustained 6k+ rpm.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Tyler
1st Gear Newbie

does the M54B25 have this problem? is their any major weak spots on the suspension. I plan on upgrading the brake pads, rotors, fluid and lines, then coilovers sway bars and tires. let me know if theirs anything else I should do to have a more reliable car. im gonna stay away from the m54b30
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
Doesn't matter what year. All M54B30s share this problem. (I've heard that even the S52B32 is susceptible to it.)

The issue is well documented on a lot of different forums. Your friend is either very lucky or he's aware of the issue and avoids sustained 6k+ rpm.
according to all dynos on the M54B30 there is a hp drop after 6k so why would anyone try to sustain at that rpm without shifting .. doesnt look like an issue .. never was for me.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Red loctite or safety wire the nut, It'll never come off.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread

Last edited by doogee; 06-13-2013 at 03:28 PM.
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
StraightSix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
does the M54B25 have this problem? is their any major weak spots on the suspension. I plan on upgrading the brake pads, rotors, fluid and lines, then coilovers sway bars and tires. let me know if theirs anything else I should do to have a more reliable car. im gonna stay away from the m54b30
The B25 is not susceptible to OPN failure. However, you're gonna struggle to make power as these engines do not have a lot of breathing room (besides forced induction).

I'd upgrade to poly FCABs with Meyle HD front control arms. Much more durable over OEM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Tyler
1st Gear Newbie

okay thanks a lot everyone. ill hope to make a choice soon.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
jabela
4th Gear Member

If you're gonna track or even just daily drive, you'll want to proactively replace the water pump, thermostat, CCV, valve cover gasket, fuel pump, radiator expansion tank, idler and tensioner pulley, alternator voltage regulator (or at least clean out the leaves stuck in the cooling duct).

That's all I can think of for now and they're all pretty easy to do. Parts can be found for cheap online. Make sure to also change the coolant, transmission fluid, diff fluid, power steering fluid, and get some good street/track pads like Axxis Ultimate pads.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: