Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
e30tOny
k-man
 
e30tOny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: joliette
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
So far I have:
-rieger infinity cup lip.........get mtechII
-mtech2 rear lower valance

Parts I will be getting very soon:
-AKG monowiper kit


I NEED TIPS FROM YOU GUYS PLEASE:
I cannot for the life of me decide on a colour to paint this thing, what wheels to get, and what to do motor wise!!!! S14

I was thinking either keeping it alp white, or painting it laguna seca blue, techno violet, or estoril blue. Im sort of leaning towards the techno violet but then I see a white one or blue one online and I have second thoughts again fml

For wheels im thinking Klutch Sl1 polished 16", esm 001 in white 16s or 17s, or esm 007 ccw reps in either white and polished, or gold and polished.
BBS RS

and for the motor im debating whether to turbo the shit out of the m42 and pair that with an e36 zf tranny lol OR do the m50 swap and rebuild the engine ground up, port and polish, and throw a turbo on there. Im looking for around 250whp atleast and my budget for the motor swap/build will be around $5000 excluding labor.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO
PS. ill post pics later on when I get some good ones.





.....mono wiper.....bad idea [hard to "undo"] have known of people
who did this only to be stopped and sent to a safety inspection and
told dual wipers need to be refitted

........if the paint is reasonable, I would leave it as is for now


........& whats wrong with an M42....good gas mileage
& perky enuff in the real world to get you plenty of tickets [if thats what
your looking for]

Last edited by e30tOny; 11-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.
e30tOny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30tOny View Post


.....mono wiper.....bad idea [hard to "undo"] have known of people
who did this only to be stopped and sent to a safety inspection and
told dual wipers need to be refitted

........if the paint is reasonable, I would leave it as is for now


........& whats wrong with an M42....good gas mileage
& perky enuff in the real world to get you plenty of tickets [if thats what
your looking for]
Nothing wrong with the m42 lol..after all I will be driving it mostly all of 2014 with the m42 in it as I wont have the funds for the swap until end of next year..car wont be raced or anything but I do want it to have that bmw i6 music coming from the exhaust eventually and have some more power to play with...and mono wiper isnt a necessity I just saw it on a few e30s online, liked it, figured id consider it myself because I heard its legal in ontario to have one wiper
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Another quick question for you guys..what are your thoughts of a non-M alp white rocking the thick m-stripes diagonally across the car? Ive always LOVED the look but dont wanna be judged the wrong way for passing my car off as an m3 which its clearly not. If I had an m3 my colour of choice would hands down be alpine white with the full warsteiner dtm decal package but for my 3series I was thinking staying white and just adding only the stripes across the car..let me know what you think thanks
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's
 
Slowered318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,027
That's true e30tOny, thanks to the M42 I haven't received a single speeding ticket. LOL

Kamil, I would wait until after the motor swap to install those 16" or 17" wheels, you will notice a reduction in overall performance. As for turbo M42 I would check out the write-ups on M42club.com, I have to admit I'm very tempted.

I wouldn't suggest a colour change or sanding down the corrosion protection unless you have extensive chips, dents, fading and scratches.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post
That's true e30tOny, thanks to the M42 I haven't received a single speeding ticket. LOL

Kamil, I would wait until after the motor swap to install those 16" or 17" wheels, you will notice a reduction in overall performance. As for turbo M42 I would check out the write-ups on M42club.com, I have to admit I'm very tempted.

I wouldn't suggest a colour change or sanding down the corrosion protection unless you have extensive chips, dents, fading and scratches.
Wheels and all aesthetics are all getting done before I pull the car out of storage in april regardless so wheels will be a must. And if I change the colour its getting fully stripped down and painted everywhere, and if I decide to stay alpine white it will still be getting completely repainted to get rid of all the imperfections..what u think of the stripe idea I posted above?
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Here are a few pictures i took a while ago of little projects i only had time for...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1804.jpg (223.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1732.jpg (273.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1723.jpg (229.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.jpg (495.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1738.jpg (504.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1740.jpg (201.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1741.jpg (493.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1746.jpg (484.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1750.jpg (368.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1757.jpg (202.8 KB, 78 views)
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
and some more randon pics of the car... i painted the taillights red to get rid of the orange, replaced the IS spoiler with a new used one painted black lol, painted the IS lip for temporary use but rieger is now here, and painted the grilles and kidneys black. *PS sorry for posting these pictures all scattered and random..next posts will be done one project at a time and posted together before and after
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1767.jpg (271.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1768.jpg (227.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1816.jpg (495.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1697.JPG (153.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1696.JPG (146.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1703.JPG (196.7 KB, 78 views)
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
WhitbysE30
2nd Gear Member
 
WhitbysE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitby
Posts: 54
looks clean! where'd you buy the jom coils and for how much? been looking for some myself.
WhitbysE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitbysE30 View Post
looks clean! where'd you buy the jom coils and for how much? been looking for some myself.
Got them brand new for $300 from an e30 owner who was getting around to installing them in his car but his tranny blew the same week so he posted the car for sale as is and the coilovers new in box also..but Z racing carries them for $550 plus tax I believe
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
WhitbysE30
2nd Gear Member
 
WhitbysE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitby
Posts: 54
Lucky find! and thanks.
WhitbysE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Its been weeks now but i have made some big progress not on the car but on my parts stockpile

- Picked up a pretty good condition set of 16x8 e38 style 5s +23 filled and redrilled to 4x100 but still need tires
- 15mm spacers for the front and 20mm for the rear
- All new BMW emblems all around
- New half shafts, front hub assemblies and bearings, and rear wheel bearings
- Just placed an order with AKG Motorsport for aluminum diff bushing with 12mm aluminum spacer subframe bushings, poly rear trailing arm bushings, poly cabs, and each frame reinforcement kit that they offer such as subframe plates and sway bar reinforcement plates etc.
- Finally my mtech2 rear apron came in after 2 months and outrageous shipping costs from DTMFiberWerkz

Still need to buy either refurbished calipers all around or the rebuild kits, a center support bearing and guibo, and eventually id like to get new ball joints and tie rods but mine are fine right now according to my shop

And last but not least my girlfriend has offered to buy me a new HID kit as mine is blown out, and offered to pay for a fender roller rental to get my fitment right :$ lol... wheels after spacers will be 16x8 +8 front +3 rear and im debating between 195/50, 195/45, 205/40, or 205/45 tires :S

Turns out my build will be much cleaner than expected as i recently found a friend's friend who has a storage unit big enough to use as a shop and he has fully restored an e30 himself recently ( he might be on this forum not sure lol ).. This helps out a lot as now the build wont have to be rushed as it would at an expensive shop and i can actually refresh everything such as painting the subframe, diff, etc etc and focus on the small details to do it right the first time and not half ass anything. Stay tuned ill post some pics soon
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #27
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Also forgot to mention that ive been searching reviews of the crappy JOMs i have and people were saying theyre decent coilovers minus the fact that the rear is too soft so i went ahead and ordered some eibach special order springs 2.5" ID 4" tall 600 spring rates for the rear.. hopefully ill get a season or two out of these coilovers and eventually ill be upgrading to some CAtuned or KWs or something along those lines.

To summarize this update in the best way possible - IM BROKE at the moment lol
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #28
frankie591
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
Its been weeks now but i have made some big progress not on the car but on my parts stockpile

- Picked up a pretty good condition set of 16x8 e38 style 5s +23 filled and redrilled to 4x100 but still need tires
- 15mm spacers for the front and 20mm for the rear
- All new BMW emblems all around
- New half shafts, front hub assemblies and bearings, and rear wheel bearings
- Just placed an order with AKG Motorsport for aluminum diff bushing with 12mm aluminum spacer subframe bushings, poly rear trailing arm bushings, poly cabs, and each frame reinforcement kit that they offer such as subframe plates and sway bar reinforcement plates etc.
- Finally my mtech2 rear apron came in after 2 months and outrageous shipping costs from DTMFiberWerkz

Still need to buy either refurbished calipers all around or the rebuild kits, a center support bearing and guibo, and eventually id like to get new ball joints and tie rods but mine are fine right now according to my shop

And last but not least my girlfriend has offered to buy me a new HID kit as mine is blown out, and offered to pay for a fender roller rental to get my fitment right :$ lol... wheels after spacers will be 16x8 +8 front +3 rear and im debating between 195/50, 195/45, 205/40, or 205/45 tires :S

Turns out my build will be much cleaner than expected as i recently found a friend's friend who has a storage unit big enough to use as a shop and he has fully restored an e30 himself recently ( he might be on this forum not sure lol ).. This helps out a lot as now the build wont have to be rushed as it would at an expensive shop and i can actually refresh everything such as painting the subframe, diff, etc etc and focus on the small details to do it right the first time and not half ass anything. Stay tuned ill post some pics soon
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....2140&tab=Sizes

I'd get these, but I don't like stretched tires so your opinion may differ.
frankie591 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,747
Do yourself a favour and don't install those poly RTABs.... in fact get them to cancel it off of your order if you still can.

I had AKG poly RTABs, their benefit is minimal and for a car you use on the street all they will do is make noise and unless you take apart your rear subframe every few years the aluminium cores in the bushing will seize to the steel bolts. The cores of those poly bushings should be made out of stainless steel ideally.

OEM rubber RTABs and poly subframe bushings is the way to go IMO.
__________________
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
Kamil
Däs Klässe
 
Kamil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Do yourself a favour and don't install those poly RTABs.... in fact get them to cancel it off of your order if you still can.

I had AKG poly RTABs, their benefit is minimal and for a car you use on the street all they will do is make noise and unless you take apart your rear subframe every few years the aluminium cores in the bushing will seize to the steel bolts. The cores of those poly bushings should be made out of stainless steel ideally.

OEM rubber RTABs and poly subframe bushings is the way to go IMO.
Oh well too late now they shipped out this morning.. ill still throw them on the car and see how they are for myself.. thanks for the tip though
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
318is, build, e30, m42, project

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014