Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Bavarian Autosport, poor customer service

I'm not new to ordering parts from the US\Overseas.

I've ordered thousands of dollars over years from Turner Motorsport, BMP Design, Perry Auto etc.

I ordered my 1st ever items from Bav Autosport, and even went through the effort to contact them personally to assure the order was to be delivered by USPS and not UPS to avoid the UPS handling fee.

I was told by BAV auto rep that there will not be brokerage\duty fees...this almost comes as expected as with Turner\BMP it's has always been the case.

After waiting 11 days for the delivery, I'm hit with a $48 duty fee when I go to pick it up at the post office.

Once again, never has been the case with Turner or BMP.

I contact Bav Auto, perhaps to see if there is anything they can do.

I'm not upset over the $48, but perhaps a "we apologize" or at the very least acknowledgement...all I got was "well we don't do it that way, I don't know what Turner or BMP does"

I asked if there was anything they can do, and simply got a cold "nope"

didn't expect that kind of service from one of the more recognized BMW parts stores out there.

with that said, sticking to Turner and BMP.
The Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twin View Post
I'm not new to ordering parts from the US\Overseas.

I've ordered thousands of dollars over years from Turner Motorsport, BMP Design, Perry Auto etc.

I ordered my 1st ever items from Bav Autosport, and even went through the effort to contact them personally to assure the order was to be delivered by USPS and not UPS to avoid the UPS handling fee.

I was told by BAV auto rep that there will not be brokerage\duty fees...this almost comes as expected as with Turner\BMP it's has always been the case.

After waiting 11 days for the delivery, I'm hit with a $48 duty fee when I go to pick it up at the post office.

I'm not upset over the $48, but perhaps a "we apologize" or at the very least acknowledgement...all I got was "well we don't do it that way, I don't know what Turner or BMP does"

didn't expect that kind of service from one of the more recognized BMW parts stores out there.

Did you pick up your order from Canada Post or UPS?

If you picked it up from Canada Post, they did everything that they promised, completely not at fault here and got nothing to apologize for. If your previous orders were shipped to you by USPS->Canada Post and you haven't paid taxes that means you just got lucky. By using USPS->Canada Post over UPS. FedEx and DHL you save on brokerage fees, taxes are supposed to be paid no matter what method of shipping you are using.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

You might be right, I find it hard to swallow that I simply got "lucky" for 12 years?

Again, it's not the $$ at stake it was the lack of customer service received from Bav which to say the least was surprising at best.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Sounds like a standard USPS shipment with a commercial invoice -> small brokerage fee and HST. Not sure why you are complaining.

Also why would they appologies for something that has nothing to do with their service. If you had asked to ship with USPS and they shipped with UPS then it's a different matter but if they shipped USPS and you had to pay brokerage/tax then just suck it up and pay. It's the law.

Last edited by KIRASIR; 05-31-2013 at 02:12 PM.
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

You do realize Duties/Taxes has to be paid on all applicable imported goods right?

Some companies add it along with shipping charges so you pay it up front (Tirerack) some companies don't do it. I don't know how Tuner or BMP does it, but that isn't another companies problem, it's yours. For all they know they could have been marking it as a gift or no value.

Or you could have paid it up front and not realize it.

Eitherway this is standard and you should expect to pay it when buying stuff from the US.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
were you charged a brokerage or ROD fee or hst and duty?

you understand HST and duty is administered by the fed, not bav?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Alrite, perhaps I'm not absolutely *crystal clear* with my issue.

Issue was *customer service* and how my query was handled at the forefront of the business, the face/voice of BAV auto.

For the 3rd (maybe 4th?) time...this has nothing to do with the monetary expenditures which came as a unanticipated surprise, however is 100% understandable.

The way I was treated, as a customer, from the BAV group is my issue. Not the $.
The customer service.
It's even written in the title of this thread.
Again, not the $ or the politics or driven charges hidden behind the forty-odd dollars.

The individual I spoke to, was more or less outright rude, practically condescending and seemed he wanted me off the phone ASAP as it certainly felt as tho I was a bother to him.

Offered no explanation, just a "I don't know" and a "nope".

Perhaps I've been spoiled by a false sense of expectation from other companies, or simply customer service is simply a lost virtue.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

Then you should complain to them, write an email off to the manager or something regarding the sub-par customer service. I would.

I haven't heard of many pleasant experiences from Bav Auto in the past few years...

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:

In this instance, BAV's rep is wrong, for there is always brokerage/duty fee
(tariff)

$48 duty fee, that is normal

What do you expect Bav Auto to do?

Even though you said you were not upset of the $48, you are, if you are not, you would just SYH but you called to complain.. and why should they apologise and they are right to state that they don't know the business practise of other companies.

You expect some monetary compensation, and they replied: nope.. to you it was a "cold" reply.

I am sorry you had to pay $48 but that had nothing to do with Bav Auto
it is tariff/duty.. next time ship to drop box in Buffalo, you save shipping and might save on taxes, if you get a good custom officer...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:
You might be right, I find it hard to swallow that I simply got "lucky" for 12 years?
Exactly, you got lucky. There are three possible reasons why you were never hit with tax in 12 years using Canada Post.

1. You ordered stuff under $60
2. Your purchased were fraudulently declared as a gift or with lower declared value.
3. You were lucky.

In my experience with Canada Post, the bigger the box, the more likely you'll get hit with the tax.

Quote:
Again, it's not the $$ at stake it was the lack of customer service received from Bav which to say the least was surprising at best.

Well, you say $48 is not an issue, but the only reason you complained is because of the tax. So, to me it sounds like the $48 is at issue here.

By the way, because of complaints like yours, a lot of US vendors refuse to ship to Canada. I'm sure most of us at some point got hit with the tax and were furious at the vendor only to realize that they were completely not at fault here and there is nothing they can do about those charges.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I guess your issue is with the rep you spoke to, but I usually don't like phone conversations because you don't have a written record of it. They could have thought you were a US customer, or simply aren't familiar with Canada's import laws.

A quick look on their website and I found this in their shipping policy:
Quote:
No Sales Tax

Bavarian Autosport is located in New Hampshire which has no sales tax, saving you even more money. Just one more reason to buy your parts from Bavarian Autosport. (International customers please note: you may be charged import duties and/or fees by your own country, but never by Bavarian Autosport.)
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...sp&HCY=&HCM=#s
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

I'm with you on that. Duty and VAT are just robbery.
newbe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

depending on weight and value USPS also charges duties...albeit its typically waaaaaaaaaaaay less than the other options.

Ive had my fair share of getting packages from usps with no charges and then getting dinged with $30-60 depending on what it was.

bav auto cant do anything about what canada post does. If the person you dealt with was rude. complain to bavauto. If they dont care and you are unhappy...spend money elsewhere. Plenty of options.

Last edited by SiR; 05-31-2013 at 04:33 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

I've bought numerous items from the US/Overseas and its a mixed bag of what duties i have to pay...

Overseas you pretty well much almost never have to pay. (at least i didn't...)
Anything from the US, you are gonna pay, just depends on its VALUE.

Sometimes if an item is sent as a gift, then you don't pay any duties on it.
If its sent as a gift and INSPECTED, and that person feels its not a gift, then you'll get dinged.

You can also complain and fight to get your money back. Though I do not know how successful this is...

This is applied by the FEDs... so Bav Auto and the rest of them have nothing to do with it.

I am still not sure what you were expecting from Customer Service???
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
accent
1st Gear Newbie

Hi The Twin
Thanks for posting your experience.
I understand your frustration, again, not the money, but how you were treated.
The older I get, the more I look for great customer service, not good or just adequate; service gets me back even before price.
So again, thanks for the heads up on this vendor. When I need parts, I will look elsewhere.
accent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: