Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Good news is the O2 sensor wasn't a waste of money. Brought the HC down quite a bit!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
I guess you guys are not alone.. I went this afternoon and failed too.

Aced everything but the hydrocarbon at idle, didn't miss it by much too. A little background about my test, I ran it on a day new oil change with 94 octane after a nice 30-45 minute drive on the highway so it was nice and hot when it came in. I ran the car as a 325i but I'm running an obd1 M52 with headers m50 manifold m3 cams and a chipped m50 ecu (413) supporting all the mods. I have a stock m50 ecu with a stock chip would it possibly help me pass if i used that or will that only make it worse? Also the tech there said maybe next time I should let it cool down before they run the test as apparently some cars tend to do better when cooler.. could this be the case? Any feedback is appreciated guys I wanna try and squeeze it by since I'm this close rather than going through the hassle of going for a hot rod status test.

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Stock chip may help, it could be a timing thing, I had to run the stock chip on my old e36 to get it to pass the old test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egye30 View Post
I guess you guys are not alone.. I went this afternoon and failed too.

Aced everything but the hydrocarbon at idle, didn't miss it by much too. A little background about my test, I ran it on a day new oil change with 94 octane after a nice 30-45 minute drive on the highway so it was nice and hot when it came in. I ran the car as a 325i but I'm running an obd1 M52 with headers m50 manifold m3 cams and a chipped m50 ecu (413) supporting all the mods. I have a stock m50 ecu with a stock chip would it possibly help me pass if i used that or will that only make it worse? Also the tech there said maybe next time I should let it cool down before they run the test as apparently some cars tend to do better when cooler.. could this be the case? Any feedback is appreciated guys I wanna try and squeeze it by since I'm this close rather than going through the hassle of going for a hot rod status test.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Question, how are they going to test all these new cars that don't idle but shut off ???
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Question, how are they going to test all these new cars that don't idle but shut off ???
They are just hooking up to the OBDII port on new cars and reading codes. There is no 2 speed idle for new cars.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Also the tech there said maybe next time I should let it cool down before they run the test as apparently some cars tend to do better when cooler.. could this be the case? Any feedback is appreciated guys I wanna try and squeeze it by since I'm this close rather than going through the hassle of going for a hot rod status test.
My car tests better hotter, and I think that would be the case for a lot of cars actually because when the air temps get high the computer pulls fuel and the car runs a bit leaner.

Usually if your car is a running a bit too rich the e-test machine thinks it's not warmed up yet and makes you do the 120 second warm up cycle.

Also, is your car tuned for 94 octane? If not I wouldn't run it because the higher the octane the slower the burn... slower burn means the possibility of incomplete combustion... incomplete combustion means higher HC readings.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
egye30
3rd Gear Member

The car is tuned for 91 octane, I usually like to run 94 because the car seems to idle and run a little better on it so I figured it might be better to run it for the etest as well. Do you think it might be worth a shot running a retest on 91 or will it not make enough difference?

M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
The car is tuned for 91 octane, I usually like to run 94 because the car seems to idle and run a little better on it so I figured it might be better to run it for the etest as well. Do you think it might be worth a shot running a retest on 91 or will it not make enough difference?
Octane rating has nothing to do with hydrocarbons, you want to drop hydrocarbons toss a couple litres of methonal ( 2-3 litres to a 60l tank).
Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
egye30
3rd Gear Member

You think that will work to squeeze a pass out? Where do I find it around here.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You think that will work to squeeze a pass out? Where do I find it around here.
It might, I'd run your tank down to half and toss one litre in, then after the test fill up to dilute it

Canadian tire has it, they sell it for stove fuel for boats and trailers
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Octane rating has nothing to do with hydrocarbons, you want to drop hydrocarbons toss a couple litres of methonal ( 2-3 litres to a 60l tank).
I explained exactly what octane rating has to do with HC readings....
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I explained exactly what octane rating has to do with HC readings....
With drive clean I've seen no difference on testing, it's the same as a hot or cold day, I was one of the first 50 certified testers in Ontario, to squeak by on HC when other levels are good the methonal hydrate actually works.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #28
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
With drive clean I've seen no difference on testing, it's the same as a hot or cold day, I was one of the first 50 certified testers in Ontario, to squeak by on HC when other levels are good the methonal hydrate actually works.
I was referring to my comments with respect to octane rating and high HC reading.

With regards to temperature, I was referring to engine temp, not ambient air temp. When I was running the stock motor and DME with only a MarkD chip my car failed the first run, then it got hot during the "warm up cycle"... like 3/4 mark hot (because it had no clutch fan at the time) and it passed well within the limits.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #29
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I was referring to my comments with respect to octane rating and high HC reading.

With regards to temperature, I was referring to engine temp, not ambient air temp. When I was running the stock motor and DME with only a MarkD chip my car failed the first run, then it got hot during the "warm up cycle"... like 3/4 mark hot (because it had no clutch fan at the time) and it passed well within the limits.
High engine or running temps seem less of a concern now that no NO is being measured. Hot running cars usually would get the HC down but fail the NO

The methyol hydrate will get temps up a bit and runs so clean I don't think it produces any detectable HC on it own.

His nominal difference it will help

Dave's car, that's another story.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
davericher20
black and blue

So, looks like its my dist. Cap or rotor.
Its a misfire, wasnt getting fuel on #3 cylinder, pulled the plug wire and the car would idle the exact same, also was a hundred degree difference from the other cylinders (infrared gun)
spark plug is firing. No fuel?
Changed the injector and spark plug, still firing, but idling the same when we pull the wire. Jump the wire from another car and same thing.
Ill clean the contact points on the cap and rotor and see if that makes a difference. But it makes sense I would fail with high hydrocarbons because theres a shitload of unburnt fuel escaping. Duh.
If its not that then I am stuck. I will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: