Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you change your own oil?
No 5 17.24%
Yes - Myself 24 82.76%
Yes - I buy the oil but a garage/friend does the change for me 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
mastermind88
1st Gear Newbie

Do you change your own oil?

As the subject says, wondering how many of us change our own oil.

Answer yes if you buy oil and have someone do the change for you.

If yes, does the brand matter to you or do you buy house brands like CT Formula 1, Motomaster, etc?

This should be interesting
mastermind88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Scolirk
1st Gear Newbie

I'm certainly thinking about doing it myself. My garage is pretty tight but things are looking pretty good in my neighbourhood as of tonight, might be able to do it on the driveway now. I'd like to know what people recommend for higher mileage engines, or specifically for an M62.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
jabela
5th Gear Member

Doing your own oil and brakes are the easiest way to save money. I even did both when I lived in a condo.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Yup, since day one. I hate it and the messes i used to make, but as jabela says, it makes too much sense. I use Syntec 5w40 in my m62 with 230k
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
jabela
5th Gear Member

I use a vacuum pump (fluid extractor) to suck the oil out of the dipstick tube. With that and our top mounted filter, I can change the oil with zero mess.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Oil changes, here and there, too busy and hardly worth the savings. Only do it if I have a leisurely Sunday and feel like getting dirty. Brakes I'd be more inclined to do myself, but again, if I need to dedicate a whole day to do them (not saying it takes that long, but I get easily distracted), it is hardly worth it for me. I do enjoy doing my own work though.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
jabela
5th Gear Member

I can change my oil in less time than taking it to a dealer/shop. Same goes for brakes. Plus I know I did a good job and that proper parts were used, and that it wasn't some dumbass kid they put on oil change/brake duty. While I'm in there I'm checking for other issues as well.
I mean, it's only 2x a year for oil and 2-4+ years for brakes.

http://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-l...pan-1748394648

www.modernapothecary.ca

Last edited by jabela; 01-12-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
I can change my oil in less time than taking it to a dealer/shop. Same goes for brakes. Plus I know I did a good job and that proper parts were used, and that it wasn't some dumbass kid they put on oil change/brake duty. While I'm in there I'm checking for other issues as well.
I mean, it's only 2x a year for oil and 2-4+ years for brakes.

http://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-l...pan-1748394648

Agreed, way too many idiots out there to leave even an oil change to chance.

Using the wrong oil.. over filling, under filling, stripping the drain plug. I've seen it all happen.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I use to the let the shops do it because there wasn't much savings $95 for full syn 7ltrs .. not it costs about $130-150 depending .. I'm thinking about getting the oil and filter myself and either me doing it (summer) or giving it to the shop to do (winter)

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
dbworld4k
Addict

Nope. The savings are so minimal and not worth the time to do it myself, then have to go dispose of the oil properly as well.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
jabela
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Nope. The savings are so minimal and not worth the time to do it myself, then have to go dispose of the oil properly as well.
I either take my old oil/fluids to a shop/Canadian Tire or call the Toxic Taxi in Toronto. They'll take fluids, batteries, bulbs, etc. Hell they'll even take used needles if your a junkie or diabetic.

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgeb...000038862.html

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 01-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #12
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
I either take my old oil/fluids to a shop/Canadian Tire or call the Toxic Taxi in Toronto. They'll take fluids, batteries, bulbs, etc. Hell they'll even take used needles if your a junkie or diabetic.

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgeb...000038862.html
Btw do you know is it worth getting the tool to swap my own wheels. The shop on my street did it for like one hour on a busy Saturday in December, but I was not too happy. The guy did not check my pressure when he mounted my winters. I had to get the correct psi and then reset my psi gauge because I have TMPS on my rims. The worst part was, the owner told me that I would get bored waiting, so I went for a walk in the park..... What a waste of time, I could have done it on my own. So how much would some decent jacks cost me along with a calibrated wrench or does it have to be calibrated. When all done and said I paid $57 tax included.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post

Yeah....

Even the minimal savings get cleaned out once they do car wash where they rinse my mats... That along with coffee and they also put everything into service history. On top of that, by doing oil at the dealer, you probably get to keep your rust warranty. Once you miss that, good lucking getting it when you need it. Speaking of dumping oil at the Canadian tire, that cost money and and 90% CT are located in a shitty area where I have to drive over all crazy pot holes to get there. I am pretty much 2km from a dealer and the road was just repaved.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
jabela
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
Btw do you know is it worth getting the tool to swap my own wheels. The shop on my street did it for like one hour on a busy Saturday in December, but I was not too happy. The guy did not check my pressure when he mounted my winters. I had to get the correct psi and then reset my psi gauge because I have TMPS on my rims. The worst part was, the owner told me that I would get bored waiting, so I went for a walk in the park..... What a waste of time, I could have done it on my own. So how much would some decent jacks cost me along with a calibrated wrench or does it have to be calibrated. When all done and said I paid $57 tax included.
Yes, I change my own wheels as well. Not sure what you mean by tool though, unless you're talking about mounting tires on the rims. I take that to a shop. It's dangerous, and mounting/balancing equipment is not cheap or small.

For wheel swapping, it takes about 15 min to swap them before going to the track. Longer if I'm inspecting/changing brakes at the same time. Too many shops over tighten nuts, damage your rims, etc.
Break bolts loose, jack up one side of car, put stand under for safety, use electric gun to remove bolts, swap wheels, use gun to tighten bolts, lower car so wheels are barely touching the ground, use torque wrench to tighten to spec (~$50 on sale at CT). Repeat on other side of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
Yeah....
Even the minimal savings get cleaned out once they do car wash where they rinse my mats... That along with coffee and they also put everything into service history. On top of that, by doing oil at the dealer, you probably get to keep your rust warranty. Once you miss that, good lucking getting it when you need it. Speaking of dumping oil at the Canadian tire, that cost money and and 90% CT are located in a shitty area where I have to drive over all crazy pot holes to get there. I am pretty much 2km from a dealer and the road was just repaved.
I do my own oil primarily to save my time. Saving money is a bonus as is not having to worry about a shop screwing up my car. It takes at least 40 min to get your oil changed somewhere, and they often run late. I can do my oil in less than 30 min while drinking a beer. BTW, I hope that car wash is touchless, otherwise RIP your paint.

Having a dealer do your engine oil will have no effect on your rust warranty. If you mean engine warranty, simply record your oil changes (take picture of receipts). The law says you can't be forced to do maintenance with the dealer. Anyhow, most people here are driving BMW's out of warranty and new ones have oil changes included in the warranty (or is that just the USA?).

Canadian Tire or other shops have never charged me to leave oil there. If you're in Toronto, the Toxic Taxi will pick it up for free. Other cities may have a similar program.

Anyhow it's up to you what you want to do. I've heard way too many horror stories about shops and I actually enjoy doing it myself, but to each their own.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #15
lvan
6th Gear Member

Yeah wheel swapping is what I am looking at. No balancing and what not. As for the oilchange, I booked it and headed over in five minutes. It took them about 30minutes to do it while I was checking out the cars and women in the dealership. Keep in mind, it would probably take me that much just to go and buy oil.

Tags
diy, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: