Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
MPP147
1st Gear Newbie

Ventilation Problems

I have a 2012 750ix that is having intermittent problems. Hopefully someone can shed some light on my issue.

I live 750 kms north of Toronto. The problem has only occurred while on route to or from Toronto. After travelling for 3.5-4 hrs I usually stop for fuel and to stretch. Once continuing on the trip the blower for AC/Heat works but little to no air flow enters the cabin. I have tried changing the air flow direction but nothing seems to work. I have also verified that the fan is working on all settings.

On two of the occasions that this has happened, the outside temperature was between 25 to 30 degrees. I had to drive with my windows down so that the interior could cool off. On the first occasion, I was able to have the car looked at the following morning. Upon starting the car in the morning, it was obvious that the problem was gone. Naturally when the car was examined the problem could not be replicated.

Up until a few years ago I managed then owned a school bus company. I have been around vehicles most of my life. Due to this I have an understanding of the mechanical workings of things on a vehicle. In my opinion a switch or solenoid heats up preventing a flap or door to open, thus preventing air flow to the cabin. The BMW service department states that there is no such door.

I will be heading to Toronto just before Xmas and really do not feel like running out of heat south of North Bay. If this happens, I will be travelling alone and able to drive directly to the dealership to have it examined.

I am wondering if anyone has had this same problem or can offer suggestions for a cure.

Thanks,
Mike
MPP147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Off the top of my head...

Blower/Resistor, both, control panel or flap motors. However if the fan will not function properly I would drop it and replace the resistor at the least and possibly both fan and resistor.

Just realized your 2012 may be slightly more complex then last model but on a e65 or e66 for example it is under the passenger side glove box area, takes 30 minutes to do. Could be in the same place, just a few screws and plugs then T20 torx's, pull tabs turns and drops out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcPXCu3Kyzs

Last edited by Blackedout95; 12-06-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
MPP147
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the help. The car is still under warranty so I will ask them to follow your suggestions.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP147 View Post
Thanks for the help. The car is still under warranty so I will ask them to follow your suggestions.
Oh well that is good news. GL
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
jabela
5th Gear Member

Guess would be a sticking door/flap. Does it happen both when heating and cooling?

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
MPP147
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Oh well that is good news. GL
Yes very glad itís still under warranty. Due to the dealer not finding anything when I had it in, I was charged for an hour and half. I stated that if the problem reoccurred I should be reimbursed. The gentleman in service agreed. I am curious to see if I will have an argument on my hands at that time.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
MPP147
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Guess would be a sticking door/flap. Does it happen both when heating and cooling?
I never did check it to see if the issue was still there when using heat. I was told (by dealership) that there isnít a door or flap. This statement does not make any sense to me.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Sadly in 1 1/2 hours or less (should be less) they could have just replaced the blower and resistor under warranty.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
MPP147
1st Gear Newbie

I agree with you 100%. This is my first vehicle (certified pre-owned) through this dealership. Some of the issues that I have had makes me suspect. My impression is, their certification criteria falls below what is normally done. I know that my experience would have been much different had I stuck with the dealer I’ve purchased my last 4-5 Bmw’s from.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: