Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Arash
6th Gear Member

BMW General Module Repair in Toronto?

Might be having an issue with the General Module GM5 in my E46. Is there anyone in the GTA that does diagnosis/repair on these units?

I've found someone in the US but prefer to deal with someone local (http://www.bmwgm5.com/)

Thanks in advance
Arash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Give Bimmersport a call. I think they have the tools for all that.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I have some Tyco V23084-C2001-A303 relays if you want to try the repair yourself.

I was going to do it, but I figured out my door lock issue was the actuator, not the GM5 issue.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
Give Bimmersport a call. I think they have the tools for all that.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I have some Tyco V23084-C2001-A303 relays if you want to try the repair yourself.

I was going to do it, but I figured out my door lock issue was the actuator, not the GM5 issue.
How did you diagnose the issue? I'm being told it's the module since the issue is intermittent (feels like temperature related)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Mine is all the time and only 1 door doesn't unlock, but it locks. I emailed the GM5 guy and told him my symptoms he said he was pretty sure it wasn't the GM5.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Mine is all the time and only 1 door doesn't unlock, but it locks. I emailed the GM5 guy and told him my symptoms he said he was pretty sure it wasn't the GM5.
Same issue I had not too long ago. I replaced the door lock module and that fixed it.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
I'm being told it's the module since the issue is intermittent (feels like temperature related)
Mine was temperature related as well (it was during hot days that it wouldn't work). I had the GM5 repaired by Scott. It was the actuator. I think the coupe actuators fail more often than the sedans.

Quote:
I haven't really looked at it, but I've heard that this is not a DIY thing unless you have a fair amount of experience in soldering on circuitboards. But bringing the module and the relays to a company to have them do it is an option.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
I haven't really looked at it, but I've heard that this is not a DIY thing unless you have a fair amount of experience in soldering on circuitboards. But bringing the module and the relays to a company to have them do it is an option.
Yes, its not for the average DIY'er with a $10 iron, you need a de-soldering iron that sucks up the solder. Not impossible but you should be able to find someone with access to one.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
Mine was temperature related as well (it was during hot days that it wouldn't work). I had the GM5 repaired by Scott. It was the actuator. I think the coupe actuators fail more often than the sedans.

hmm mine only works during warmer days gotta love bimmers..

Just called Bimmersport and was told it's most likely the actuator (since it only works in warm weather), so guess I'm gonna start there

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: