Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Buying a Used Car Lately ?!?!

Ok, so this is a bit of a rant about the used car market and the people in it. And yeah, maybe I'm wrong about all this but bear with me. It's just an opinion and something I wanted to get off my chest. I'm just a bit stunned with the market right now compared to the old days when I last shopped for used cars. And I'm talking mainly about 10+ year old BMW's and not rare stuff like M1's either. Once again, just some old guys opinion so don't take this personally and rage on it..........

I've been hammering it through the used car market across Canada looking for a cabriolet and even checking out the odd Porsche 968 (last gen of the 944) since last summer. And what I'm finding is a LOT of sellers who just don't give a F*** about their cars or the buyer. AND, they want premium dollars for their rides. They act out in a manner that I call peacocking....... like they are some f***ing celebrity and they are untouchable selling gold plated investments. They are doing the Howard the Jeweler thing. I even had some douche-bag, whom I've never met, tell me during a cold call that I'd be lucky IF he let me test drive his E36 cab, never mind touch it. His $8K E36 was "apparently" with high end car broker at the time. And this was a regular E36, not even an M car. WTF !?!??! Are you kidding me?? Yeah, I'll be right over with my white gloves there braaaah. Is that rust bucket on a rotating platform in your living room??? How is that sort of attitude going to attract honest buyers??

And so many using the same well proven TV show lines. Yeah, it's coming up in value and guaranteed to be a classic. Great investment potential. Only made these in limited numbers in this color and trim with these wheels that I bought on Craigslist. "Mint" condition and you'll never find another one like it on the planet, maybe the universe. By the way, WTF does "mint" condition mean?!?!?!? Your "minty" sh!t is all ripped up and dirty as F***. Your ride that you are selling looks like a war car that a Tim Hortons bomb went off in. I understand you have to sell it but please......... be reasonable with what you say and understand what you are selling. And clean up the car so it's presentable, but don't over-do it with the armor all so that it's a grease-pit. And if its a third world dog on wheels, call it what it is. Oh, and I just put $8K into maintenance thus why the price. WHAT!??!? That's because you don't take care of it you moron and nothing more than that. I'm not paying for your stupidity and lack of respect of the automobile. See-ya........

The other sweet trick I've heard a lot of lately is people that say they are getting this huge dollar value on trade-in so that's their starting point. Listen, wholesale pricing more often then not dictates trade-in values. So don't buy into the BS where someone is stating they are getting these big dollars on trade-in (unless it's something really rare and has a huge demand). Stealerships don't want to pay you anything for your trade-in. Knowing wholesale goes a long ways in establishing where to start to ensure you are not bending over and taking the salt encrusted soap in the whoo-whoo. Thing is you're more likely than not over wholesale on private and dealer sales unless you find a steal or the thing has a pant-load of problems but it is a good thing to be armed with for a starting point.

And sometimes you WILL pay much more than what's reasonable because it's EXACTLY what you want. So then, don't worry what others say. It's really none of their business anyways. It's not a competition as to who scored the sweetest deal and stole something away. That's another fairy-tale. If you find it, it's what you REALLY want, you're willing to pay that price AND you have the cash, drop it and never look back. Just remember, cars are not really a good investment anyways. So be prepared to lose any way you look at it. I recently found such a deal on the east coast. Low mileage, incredible condition, well over-priced too. But he decided to pull the ad and sit on it a bit longer as he found he wasn't so sure he wanted to sell it anymore. Crap!! And never mind it was over-priced, still needed to add taxes and shipping to that.......... so it was going to be thousands over-priced easily. BUT, I was considering it. Seriously considering it even though people told me I was nuts and would never be able to get my money back out of it.

Lastly, get a PPI every time. But we all know that now..........

Current : 2013 Mini Countryman JCW

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T

Last edited by tominizer; 05-02-2016 at 08:43 AM.
tominizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Stay away from e36 go E30 again Those are rising still a bit and are classics...

I hear ya though on the rest.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
dbworld4k
Addict

I agree 100%. For the last few years it's become a total shitshow. People want top dollar totally trashed cars. It's so bad that at times I've had to just jump on a used car on the sole basis that it's clean, despite not having all the specs I may ideally have been looking for.

But patience is a virtue, you'll find what you want eventually. It'll just depend on how much you will [over]spend for the right car

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
estoguy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Stay away from e36 go E30 again Those are rising still a bit and are classics...

I hear ya though on the rest.
Yeah, totally agree... E30 or die!

And yes, the rest is pretty much true. You'll find the right one! Keep at it!

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i'm toying with the idea of selling the Z if you're in the market for a fast two seater

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin PSS, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, BMC, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune,-1 +2
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Giormelo
2nd Gear Member

Id love an e30, but i think its the e30 community keeping us e36 and e34 owners from coming over.

You guys love your chariots too much!
Smh this threads more or less why i cant see my self selling my cars, value is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Giormelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
estoguy
2nd Gear Member

Keeping you from coming over? Because people aren't selling?

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #8
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Kijiji be like:
"all part are original new tires sun roof turbo economical in gas is been drow most on hiway plase call and leave a messege thanks
Israel"

And this is for a 1984 325e 365000Km for $5000....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_27.JPG (72.7 KB, 11 views)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4 F30 F32

Etobicoke location now open!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 70+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:58 AM   #9
jabela
5th Gear Member

They can only do that because the buyers are almost as bad as home buyers, especially in the GTA. Debt is cheap and morons throw money at things to show off to their friends. They'll have to work until they're 80 then we'll have to support them because they were too stupid to save.

The worse sellers are the ones trying to pawn off their lease. $1300
/month for a 435... wtf did you get into such a shitty lease for?

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
tominizer
6th Gear Member

@Pro, not sure a 6'5" guy fits into a Z3M ?? I fit into a Z4 and have driven them and they are snug for me but not sure about Z3's. My buddy has a coupe (shoe car!!) and he says I likely would not fit in it.

@BimmerHeaven....... nice brick holding back that super car from rolling down the driveway and over a cliff.

A few other notes.........

Vancouver and Quebec cars people are told to steer away from in a big way due to uncertainties with those car markets and the cars being honest. And although you can actually find good cars in those places through proper inspections, the hiccup is when you go to sell it one day and buyers see that the vehicle came through Quebec or Vancouver, more often then not they shy away. That sucks. There's some good deals to be had I've found in Quebec dollars wise.

Accident cars. Another item that shows up on car reports that cause panic and values to plummet. More often then not cars can be repaired properly and there are no issues at all with them. Especially if these things happened early in their life, the paint matching is almost unnoticeable even to a trained eye. But everyone has been conditioned to stay away from an accident car. For me, if there is good documentation provided about the repair and it's not something major (such as a frame straightening, etc), I'm pretty ok with working a deal out for such a car. But the documentation MUST be there to provide all the necessary details about the repair and the costs including invoices showing parts. Then there's a level of comfort regarding the history of the car and what you are getting.

Current : 2013 Mini Countryman JCW

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T
tominizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Regarding the OP, a line from Marsellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction sums it all up.

"You see, this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic motherf*****s. Motherf*****s who thought their a** would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't."
newbe46 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: