Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ottawa
Posts: 104
where should I go for a front wheel alignment

I need a front wheel alignment pretty bad, and new tires installed so far i went to 2 places so far for quotes. Treffs tire and auto center on carling, and Speedy right beside it.

To install my new tires treffs said $25 per tire and the alignment would be $110

the guy at speedy said it would b $40 each tire to install each tire . now heres the stupid part . " we cant do alignment on BMWs here..." so I asked why and the guy told me "For BMWs you need 150 - 200 lbs of weight in the back , they have a very different setup"
buzzdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
sb_600
5th Gear Member
 
sb_600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,179
Canadian Tire on Carling. Talk to Tony or Ralph (service manager) - they've got lots of BMW experience, and they're the only place I bring my cars.
__________________
Shawn
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ottawa
Posts: 104
How much is it for alignment there ? And could they install 225 40zr18 tires ?
buzzdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
sb_600
5th Gear Member
 
sb_600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,179
Call for exact alignment price - IIRC it's about $90. and yeah, tires wont' be a problem.
__________________
Shawn
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
SubDad
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 162
Quote:
"For BMWs you need 150 - 200 lbs of weight in the back , they have a very different setup"
This makes my B.S. detector go to Maximum Red Flashing Alert.

Don't go there, they saw money roll into the lot when you pulled in. For some places BMW driver means easy money. Be skeptical. You know that when it comes to pulling money out of your wallet your BMW is, fundamentally, a car. A nice car, your car, but it's a car.

"A very different setup" my a**. All cars have the conditions for alignment defined. So much load, so distributed etc and it's probably in your owner's manual. As a quick example, the Bentley manual for my E30 specifies 68 kg (150 lbs) on each front seat, 68kg in middle of rear, 21 kg in the trunk and a full tank of gas. Did they mention the front seat loading?

And get a 4 wheel alignment. 2 wheel alignment is ... just not valid.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
odzzie
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ottawa
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
Canadian Tire on Carling. Talk to Tony or Ralph (service manager) - they've got lots of BMW experience, and they're the only place I bring my cars.
I've also heard good things about canadian tire on carling.. they did an alignment on my Subaru and did a good job. as for tires that sizing isn't very difficult to mount. if you don't trust them i can mount them for you for $25 each. im sure you are a friend of Eric's so if you if you want to know anything about us im sure he can answer a few questions.
__________________
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20299&dateline=1364005969
odzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ottawa
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDad View Post
This makes my B.S. detector go to Maximum Red Flashing Alert.

Don't go there, they saw money roll into the lot when you pulled in. For some places BMW driver means easy money. Be skeptical. You know that when it comes to pulling money out of your wallet your BMW is, fundamentally, a car. A nice car, your car, but it's a car.

"A very different setup" my a**. All cars have the conditions for alignment defined. So much load, so distributed etc and it's probably in your owner's manual. As a quick example, the Bentley manual for my E30 specifies 68 kg (150 lbs) on each front seat, 68kg in middle of rear, 21 kg in the trunk and a full tank of gas. Did they mention the front seat loading?

And get a 4 wheel alignment. 2 wheel alignment is ... just not valid.
Thanks for the advice . Ill never goto speedy again lol. And no they didnt mention anything about front seat loading, the guy didnt seem to know much




Quote:
Originally Posted by odzzie View Post
I've also heard good things about canadian tire on carling.. they did an alignment on my Subaru and did a good job. as for tires that sizing isn't very difficult to mount. if you don't trust them i can mount them for you for $25 each. im sure you are a friend of Eric's so if you if you want to know anything about us im sure he can answer a few questions.
Soooo i went to Canadian tire and got everything done . If i wouldve logged into maxbimmer 4 or 5 hours ago i wouldve saved a bit of money. also after alignment and new tires my car is still pulling to the left it wasnt pulling left before i changed the tie-rods ***edit Im not sure who Eric is but im sure ill meet him in a matter of time if he owns a bmw


Id like to say i had a good experience with canadiantire but well Nobody understood what i meant. Whenever i told someone (on the phone or in person) that i wanted my NEW tires installed they always asked "are they on rims?" NNNEEEWWW tires as in brand new, never used and not on a rims. Also the person i spoke to at the counter noted that I wanted all 4 replaced when i wanted just the front 2 replaced. On the phone the guy said it would be $147 for everything but it turned out to be $174 before tax. To end my little rant the guy at the counter told me " we have people who do racecar alignments, so if the car was setup for racing or had aftermarket suspension then they will do it properly." well Id like to think people who do racecar alignments can make sure the car drive in a straight line. Im hoping i can go back and not have a tough time getting this all straightened out.

Last edited by buzzdmonkey; 05-08-2013 at 09:51 PM.
buzzdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
odzzie
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ottawa
Posts: 97
I hope you don't have a problem getting that fixed for FREE aswell since it was their mistake. Eric he goes to woodroffe HS, don't you go to woodroffe HS haha?
__________________
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20299&dateline=1364005969
odzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ottawa
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by odzzie View Post
I hope you don't have a problem getting that fixed for FREE aswell since it was their mistake. Eric he goes to woodroffe HS, don't you go to woodroffe HS haha?
Oh Eric ! So your the guy with the beautiful e46 ! Yeahhhh I know which Eric you're talking about now .
buzzdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
odzzie
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ottawa
Posts: 97
i wouldnt call it beautiful but i like it hahaha and yea i work with my buddy that owns the tire mounting business we've been in it for 3 years and before that worked at subaru hyundai and honda sooo yes we are still new at tis but believe me we know alot more then most people that have been there for years since they dont deal with stretched tires and low pro and also higher end tires.
__________________
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20299&dateline=1364005969
odzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ottawa
Posts: 104
Don't kid yourself ! I love that car . It's pretty flush from what I remember . I told Eric to tell you I like it .
buzzdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
odzzie
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ottawa
Posts: 97
I Dont know if this works but just snapped this photo a few nights ago and to me it turned out AMAZING!


__________________
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20299&dateline=1364005969

Last edited by odzzie; 05-08-2013 at 11:20 PM.
odzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ottawa
Posts: 104
I'm jealous . I cant wait to be making enough money to afford a nice car .
buzzdmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.