Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Lau.Ian
1st Gear Newbie

Question Dashboard Cameras

Hey guys, I wanted to do a little bit of market research and was wondering what you guys think about higher end dashboard cameras because I am currently starting a business of importing and selling them. If you have any questions about the cameras, please feel free to ask! Your feedback is crucial to start-up businesses like mine. Thank you very much for your time!
Lau.Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

They're great. Myself and T.Dot E30 were importing & selling the Pittasoft Blackvue's (all of them including the new 500 wifi) for the past year (or so). I think they're a great idea, but people have a hard time justifying the cost of a (relatively) expensive $250-$330 gadget for a future "what-if" situation. If you can bring in quality (1080p, wifi, muliti-lens) cameras with hardware & MicroSD and keep the price around $150/ea... you've probably got a winner. There was a guy with a kiosk selling some (don't remember the brand) at the Autoshow in Feb and they seemed to be flying off his shelf for $150.00. I deal with Chinese importers all the time, key is not to be greedy and charge too much. Someone will always find a way to undercut you down the road if you make it easy for them.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
what is the advantage to these devices vs using my smartphone with a mount?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
EMPOWERD

The fact that it's set-up and forget. The footage (Blackvue-speaking) is on a constant loop so you don't have to worry about erase/re-start recordings. They are split up into 1-minute segments (16GB card records 7hrs @1080p) so it doesn't wipe the whole card, just the first minute 7hr ago etc. The device has a motion sensor and GPS that shows you the location of the recording (using Google Maps) and the motion sensor (G-force adjustable) allows you to set when you want an "event" marked (accident?) for easier locating afterwards. The g-sensor will also turn the camera on for 5mins when it detects motion while it's in parking mode. This is all accessable through a phone app via Wifi (has live-view too).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

So do you leave it on your dash when you park? the apps for iphone do all the same thing (GPS, time stamping, motion activated, etc)

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Lau.Ian
1st Gear Newbie

Yes, the cameras are just plugged in and left in the car. The problem with using a smartphone is that it opens you up to the risk of opportunist thieves if you plan on leaving it in your car, or its a hassle to always open up the app, and mount and unmount the phone. The cameras I will be selling also have an option to have a personal tag on the video itself and that day and night modes that can be set to certain times of the day. And in the event that you would want to remove the camera, it has a quick mount bracket that makes it very easy to mount and unmount.

Last edited by Lau.Ian; 05-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lau.Ian View Post
Yes, the cameras are just plugged in and left in the car. The problem with using a smartphone is that it opens you up to the risk of opportunist thieves if you plan on leaving it in your car, or its a hassle to always open up the app, and mount and unmount the phone. The cameras I will be selling also have an option to have a personal tag on the video itself and that day and night modes that can be set to certain times of the day. And in the event that you would want to remove the camera, it has a quick mount bracket that makes it very easy to mount and unmount.
why wont an oppurtunistic thief just steal your dash cam?

we bought a cheap dash cam from factory direct. worked quite well. However the problem is YOU CANT leave it in the car on the dash. you need to take it down. So you take it down and then you forget to put it up.

At least with a cell phone on a good holster, is something you WONT forget because lets face it, you always have your phone in your pocket.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
EMPOWERD

I've had my dashcam mounted for the past year without worries of a break in. I think you're over reacting.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Lau.Ian
1st Gear Newbie

I don't feel that there would be much of a black market for stolen dash cams, because they're not exactly the most eye catching thing in a car and honestly, when there are cheap unbranded ones floating around, it would be easier for the thieves to buy one of those than trying to steal your nice one that they will assume it's cheap anyways.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

i wouldn't leave anything in my car that may attract thieves, replacing my window/top costs more than whatever they will steal. I've had GPS' stolen out of my car which were barely worth 100$ new. Thieves are idiots and steal shiny things.

my question is based mostly on a good unit costing 300$ (the same as an iphone 4S) so the risk is the same, the benefits are pretty much the same, except most people already own a smartphone.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
i wouldn't leave anything in my car that may attract thieves, replacing my window/top costs more than whatever they will steal. I've had GPS' stolen out of my car which were barely worth 100$ new. Thieves are idiots and steal shiny things.

my question is based mostly on a good unit costing 300$ (the same as an iphone 4S) so the risk is the same, the benefits are pretty much the same, except most people already own a smartphone.
thats my logic too.

those of you saying that its cheap and therefore doesn't attract theives...... i don't think you've lived in a big city long enough.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
daytona
6th Gear Member

dedicated car cam is a must have and small investment in case "chit happens"...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: