Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

New Owner - Looking for initial advice

Hey guys I'm a new owner, just picked up a E46 2002 320i, 5 spd, 220kms as my daily commuter. I have a few questions regarding some of the stuff I'd like to do:

1) My rear seats do not fold down and I was hoping to replace it with one that does (or at least with a ski bag, I snowboard). Anyone know if this is possible? Also any suggestions on where to find a used rear seat.

2) Suggestions for good projects to do oneself. I plan on doing oil change, cabin air filter change, spark plugs. Any other beginner projects to suggest?

3) I currently have Style 68 staggered rims and am looking for used tires (will eventually get new) that are at least 50-60% tread. I know this isn't a classified section just wondering if anyone has a good tire source or advice.

4) From what I've heard it seems like RMP is the place to go... I'd like to get my valve cover gasket done and I think it's prob a bit out of my realm... from what I've heard it seems like RMP is the place to go. Just looking for some opinions on them or anywhere else that is reputable. I've also heard Chuck's Auto is decent.

Looking forward to hearing from ppl I've heard great things about this site...

Brian
Bforte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

Ok so tires taken care of... full set of Nexen N7000 for $560 (taxes in, mounted) at Tires23. Can't wait to get those Style 68's on...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
lucidy
1st Gear Newbie

1) You can't install a fold down one but you can buy a rear seat with a ski pass and knock out the metal for it.

Quote:
You have to knock out the metal ski pass panel that is perforated. I used a rubber mallet and screwdriver. And then purchase a rear seat w/ski pass/armrest its that simple no need for a DIY so...

1. Knock out panel
2. Buy rear seat w/ski pass and armrest
3. Change trunk liner (For it is different)

Total time probably 15 minutes max granted you have the parts all available.
2) If you don't have an armrest up front it's an easy DIY that's really nice to have since it's a daily.
lucidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Valve Gasket Cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugPUqjjKRz8

Not that bad... but not for me...

You'll want to check your Crank Case Valve, thermostat, water pump, coolant tank and hoses.

Last edited by blakneto; 04-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
curress
1st Gear Newbie

Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the wonderful clarity in your writing. I will immediately grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Pleasant work and much success in your business dealings
curress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

@blakneto - I've seen a few vids and it does look relatively bolt off and then bolt back on... just a little antsy about doing it as a first project. I'll prob end up trying to do it at my mechanic's shop under his supervision (he's amazing that way, he let's you stick around and help if you want), but ya looking at a vid it does look doable.

@curress - thanks I'm just trying to be as specific as possible, I do take pride in my prose though lol. I see you are a new member too... what kind of ride do you have?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

@lucidy - Thanks for the info... if it's not possible to get a fold down, I'll prob just put a roof rack on. But thanks for the info if I do end up doing the swap!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

Btw that link is by far the best video I've seen on that topic... just saying.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

Quick update on my progress thus far:

1) After assessing my options, I'm just going to go with a roof rack

2) Ordered a tune-up kit off of Pelican Parts (Plugs, Oil Filter Kit, Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter... all for around 60$) and a Bentley Manual ($115). Just over $200 with shipping (which was $50+... grrr).

Ended up doing the air filter, cabin air filter and plugs myself. Took it to my shop for the oil change and valve cover gasket replacement ($200 for both including labour and parts).

3) Sourced 17" Style 68's from Kijiji for $300 and got new Nexen N7000 all around for $600 flat (including mounting, taxes and shipping) from Tires23. Had an overall good experience with them, but shipping from Montreal did take awhile (almost 2 weeks).

4) The shop I use is called Stars Auto on Keele. Not a BMW specific shop but for E46 and older this is a great place to go. Very knowledgable mechanic, Quan, is a magician and has good contacts for parts. I'll be going to him for any regular maintenance from here on out (or doing it myself). I was considering RMP but it's significantly further away from where I live and none of the stuff I needed done was really that special, haven't scratched them off my list though.

Now that all of this is done, next up is replacing the camshaft sensor (which I've got an error code for) and rear sway bar (looked a bit worse for wear when it was up on the hoist). Also after a few months of ownership I have to say I get why people have a hard time straying from BMW... car drives like a champ and I get better mileage than with my TSX, but mainly the overall drive and feel of the car is exceptional!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
dbworld4k
Addict

Say no to Nexens.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

lol a bit late of that now... and the Nexens are all I really need considering it's a 320i and I'm just using it as a commuter mainly.

Any reason in particular you're off the Nexens?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bforte View Post
lol a bit late of that now... and the Nexens are all I really need considering it's a 320i and I'm just using it as a commuter mainly.

Any reason in particular you're off the Nexens?
Don't worry, they'll be fine.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: