Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Got a little rubbing happening, custom wheel setup... advice?

Hi,

I have an E30 325IS, they came with style 5's and I love the look of those wheels, but wanted to get a larger wheel to make the car look a little more modern, but with a stock feel...

My local E30 expert had a set of 16" Style 5's I believe there Rev. 2. Anyhow, another customer of his, had an almost identical setup on his E30, he had them re-drilled to a 4x100 bolt pattern, but didn't have hubcentric spacers. So we got a brainwave, to engineer the same idea, but better... We actually got a solid piece of alluminum and machined a hub centric 20mm spacer (just a guess at that point), tig welded the spacer all the way around for added rigidity, re-drilled the wheels with a 4x100 bolt pattern through the welded spacer, and voila we have a set of OEM 16" Style 5's on an E30 and they look great!

Here's some pics of the customization and installed

hubcentric, redrilled front view:

Rear welded view of spacer:

So I really want to make this work... at first, everything seem to be perfect... however when I took the car for a little road trip last summer I was hearing the awful sounds of the rear tires rubbing every time we went over a bump or dip in the road... I made the mistake of mentioning to my girlfriend that it must be due to the "excess weight"

Anyhow, here's a pic of the rear tires, you can clearly see where the rubbing is happening

We thought about rolling the rear quarter panels ever so slightly, but apparently that is not that easy to do cause of the multi layers of steel, so we decided to bend that inner lip in a bit, so far so good.. I think... I've never loaded the car up with that much weight since, so I can't really tell,...

Just the other day, I was backing out of my driveway (a slight incline onto the road), but this time... I felt it in the steering wheel when the wheels were at full lock, So I checked it out, and sure enough, it rubbed, but on the inside of the wheel well... Not sure what to do about that

here's a pic of the front passenger when I was swapping the wheels for my track tire set on some 15" borbets,

I should also mention that the car is lowered, not sure by how much, but its sitting on some H&R Sport springs, with bilstein sport shocks.

Here's some technical specs to help out:

Original 14" style 5's: 6.5" wide ET30
Original 16" style 5's rev 2: 7" wide ET20 + 20mm spacer
Tire size: 205/50/R16
Distance from Center to inside edge of the rim: ~4.5"

I do have a set of TSW aftermarket wheels that I don't care for esthetically, but they do fit nicely with no rubbing and they're also 16x7" wheels with an ET20 offset.

Anyhow, I'm at a cross roads... do I go ahead and roll the fenders out a bit, deal with the inside front wheel well rubbing every once and while? should I shave the spacer down a few mm's, I'm thinking 5mm's but I'm a little worried about my front brake calipers rubbing and the structural integrity of the welds.

Any advice is helpfull,...

Thanks,
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: