Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Groundcontrol coilovers...

I know I need an alignement, even tho the car tracks super straight...howeveer is there absolutely the need for camber plates?
will it smooth out the ride at all?
The Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
BMe30
all by chance...

No the ride quality will be the same... If anything the camber plates will transfer more vibrations to the car.

You will notice with camber plates your cornering improve/ decrease depending on the track and tire compound.

I think...

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
food
Custom User Title

BMe30 is right. Camber plates usually do not have bushings but solid spherical bearings in the top mounts. This will increase harshness in the ride.

If your camber is acceptable as is then plates are not necessary. If you are looking to increase or decrease camber from what it is currently then get some.
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Th only thing adjustable on an e30 is the front toe. How the car tracks is the thrust angle. In stock form you cannot alter any of this.

I assume the reason you want a re-alignment if the car drives straight is ****ed up tire wear?
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

correct, just spent some descent coin on nice tires and want them to last...not to prematurely wear unevenly.

thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Toe (adjusted via tie rods) is the main killer of tires. So as long as that is set properly you should be ok for the most part.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
food
Custom User Title

You will need to modify the rear subframe in order to adjust the rear toe. Or raise it to correct the trailing arm angle.

Although I have heard the toe in problem of lowered E30s is way overblown and they do not induce all that much toe. I don't know, I have never had my rear measured. They look like they are toed in quite a lot and there is obviously a lot of negative camber.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by food View Post
You will need to modify the rear subframe in order to adjust the rear toe. Or raise it to correct the trailing arm angle.

Although I have heard the toe in problem of lowered E30s is way overblown and they do not induce all that much toe. I don't know, I have never had my rear measured. They look like they are toed in quite a lot and there is obviously a lot of negative camber.
OP was asking about camber plates, you're talking about the other end of the car.

But on that note, yes the rear toe-in you gain when lowering an E30 kills tires. I'm running over -2 degrees of camber up front with the toe set to 0 and my tires are wearing evenly. in the rear there is noticeable "camber wear" on the tires, but that is being caused by the increased toe-in more than the increased camber.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
food
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
OP was asking about camber plates, you're talking about the other end of the car.
True, but if he is asking about camber plates I doubt he has any rear alignment modifications done and I imagine he might want to keep his rear tires from wearing as well.

Quote:
But on that note, yes the rear toe-in you gain when lowering an E30 kills tires. I'm running over -2 degrees of camber up front with the toe set to 0 and my tires are wearing evenly. in the rear there is noticeable "camber wear" on the tires, but that is being caused by the increased toe-in more than the increased camber.
http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...h/rear_curves/

According to this article a 3" drop should only induce about 1/32" toe. Not saying you are wrong, as I have noticeable toe in as well. Just curious how the math doesn't line up with real world results.

Just to be anal, "camber wear" is caused by the combination of camber and toe. if you had 0 camber the toe would wear the tires evenly just very quickly.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
url]http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3performance/tech_articles/susp-tech/rear_curves/[/url]

According to this article a 3" drop should only induce about 1/32" toe. Not saying you are wrong, as I have noticeable toe in as well. Just curious how the math doesn't line up with real world results.

Just to be anal, "camber wear" is caused by the combination of camber and toe. if you had 0 camber the toe would wear the tires evenly just very quickly.
The rear toe spec on the 325 is 0.087" +/- 0.031"... so yeah you may be juuuust inside the upper limit of the alignment specification... but just barely, throw in a bit of bushing deflection and you could be out of spec

... and that's why I said "camber wear" and not camber wear. I was also being anal, just indirectly
Old 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
food
Custom User Title

Quote:
The rear toe spec on the 325 is 0.087" +/- 0.031"... so yeah you may be juuuust inside the upper limit of the alignment specification... but just barely, throw in a bit of bushing deflection and you could be out of spec
I was being stupid and halved the toe measurement to get a single side. The actually total toe in induced by a 3 inch drop is 1/16". so way beyond the spec. Although measured on a 17" wheel so that may inflate the number a bit.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
I was being stupid and halved the toe measurement to get a single side. The actually total toe in induced by a 3 inch drop is 1/16". so way beyond the spec. Although measured on a 17" wheel so that may inflate the number a bit.
Similar triangles will tell you what it'll be on a 14" rim...

0.0625/8.5 = x/7

x=0.051"
Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

ANYWAY, you don't need camber plates with G/C coilovers.

:p
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
ANYWAY, you don't need camber plates with G/C coilovers.

:p
Yes you do.... because I will make fun of you if you don't... and we all know that mockery from teh internetz is srs
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Not really loving the ground controls at the moment, I'm using tokico shocks(should of read reviews before I bought) and the ride is terribly bouncy.

Need to bank up for some bilsteins... It's banging around like mad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: