Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Jay22
Shadows.

Need help! 09 335xi or 535xi

So my E46 just got sold and I managed to save a bit over the winter -- Im looking at buying a twin turbo if possible -- something under 27k.

Test drove an 09 335xi and she was smooth, real kick with the twin turbo...only concern was the mileage...122,000 km. The dealer also had a 09 535xi sitting on the lot for 25900, with 87,000kms...I happened to jump into that just to see how she drove and I was stunned - it was the first 5 series Ive ever driven but it handled as good as the 3 if not better....plus there was waaaay more power, not to mention the added goodies...i.e nav etc.

The 5 was about 5k more than the 3 had lower mileage...need to make a call by the weekend - so any suggestions?

Our family is pretty small...just the wife and me and our infant...so the 3 is big enough at least for now but the 5 definately looked real tempting!

Anyone with experience of both models...and also the twin turbos / maintainence?

I should add both cars have warranties but are not from BMW's cerified program...these will have the regular market warranties that are floating out there...
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Jay22
Shadows.

30 plus views and no replys.....come on guys!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
colombiano
1st Gear Newbie

I have driven a 2011 335 and 2012 535xi. I always thought the 5 series was too big of a car and would handle crappy in comparison to the 3 and also much heavier so would make it slower.

I really enjoyed the 5 series was extremely smooth and all wheel drive launch was awesome! Extremely comfortable. Personally for a touring and comfort stand point I would go with 5 series.
colombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiano View Post
I have driven a 2011 335 and 2012 535xi. I always thought the 5 series was too big of a car and would handle crappy in comparison to the 3 and also much heavier so would make it slower.

I really enjoyed the 5 series was extremely smooth and all wheel drive launch was awesome! Extremely comfortable. Personally for a touring and comfort stand point I would go with 5 series.

Depends what you like. 3 is more dynamic, 5 is more comfortable (although both are very adequate in every department). If you like sporty driving, definitely get the 3 (the 5 will feel heavy and wallowy). If you just want to drive sedately-ish in comfort, the 5 will be better.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would go with a 5er if you already have a kid. You won't have to sell it soon and don't have to deal with drama selling the car. Also too many stupid kids drive 3 series these days.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Biggie
BMW Power

The 335xi is way more fun to drive but if you're looking for a family ride, the 3 may be a little to small for you down the road - that said, if you have another ride and this is more of a daily driver for you then stick to the 335xi - better on gas and cheaper in terms of spare parts/maintainence than the 5...imo.
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
tofubomb
1st Gear Newbie

Also consider where you're driving, for me even my 335xi feels kind of large in tight spots downtown. On the open road though, I love the feel of it and the extra space.

I've driven a 5 as well, although it's heavier and larger, it doesn't feel much slower. I love the look of the 5 but not really the size. A bit too big for me for at my current age.

As for the infant, if you have a rear facing baby seat it would be very tight in the 3 depending on how long your legs are. The 5 has much more room, but if the kid is a bit older, the 3 has enough space imo. (Also depends how big your stroller is... so many things to consider!)
tofubomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Jay22
Shadows.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My kid is almost a year old and we probably will be dragging his stroller, car seat around when we travel, but beyond that its just my wife and me usually in the car, on occasion we may go visit the family in montreal but thats only during the holidays.

I usually bring my seat all the way back when im driving cos i like having my legs stretched when behind the wheel so with the car seat back...it does tend to be cramped.

I love the 335xi but the 5 seems to have a bit more useable space...my only issue with the five is i hate its tail lights...plus Im worried on its maintainance cost..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: