Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
dejans
1st Gear Newbie

Help with steering wheel vibration

I have an 2010 328xi e90 and have some steering wheel vibration and jerking, I have 120k on it.

So when I'm driving there is this intermittent vibration in my steering wheel at about 90km/h to about 110km/h but the thing is it is not consistent, for example if I reduce the speed and then accelerate again to that range it might not be there or if I reduce from a higher speed into that range again it might not be there.

I had the rotors and pads done about 2 years ago and this summer I also have a steering wheel jerk when braking at around 80km/h but again not always present strangely. So I changed the rotors once myself with Zimmerman's and then it seemed the braking issue was gone but the above vibration was still present, then after 6 weeks it was apparent again, this time I went to a mechanic and they told me that's it's because when replacing rotors the hub has to be cleaned off very well and be a flat surface otherwise hotspots could form and cause the issue. So I replaced them under warranty and had them install it, they also checked the wheels and said they were fibe. Again it appeared the braking issue was gone but the intermittent vibration above was still there, 2 months later I'm starting to notice the braking issue again.

I went back to the mechanic and let them road test it and they found exactly what I told them , vibration at those speeds but not always there and vibration when braking but not always there. They told me the control arm bushings will need replacing.

Before I dive in for the repair as they quoted me a pretty high price I want to know if anyone has had a similar experience?
At this mileage should the bushings be giving out?
Any other thing you guys think it could be?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dejans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
dbworld4k

Help with steering wheel vibration

Might want to check the balancing on your wheels/tires, seeing as you’ve already changed the rotors.

Vibration at highway speed (NOT during braking) is usually control arms or bent wheels/bad tires.

However, I’d be surprised if your control arms were bad at that mileage. They seemingly last double that with ease.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
MANDD
Autobahn East

The "jerk" when braking may be the thrust arm/tension strut bushings.

Vibration at speed, check the engine mount brackets where it bolts to the motor. You may find that the bolts are broken, this will extend the axle shaft in the front has your car is an Xi and cause a vibration at speed.

The right side mount bracket bolts is the most common to brake. If broken they are easy to extract once the mount is removed. Only use the BMW alloy mount bolt kit if required to replace.

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejans View Post
I have an 2010 328xi e90 and have some steering wheel vibration and jerking, I have 120k on it.

So when I'm driving there is this intermittent vibration in my steering wheel at about 90km/h to about 110km/h but the thing is it is not consistent, for example if I reduce the speed and then accelerate again to that range it might not be there or if I reduce from a higher speed into that range again it might not be there.

I had the rotors and pads done about 2 years ago and this summer I also have a steering wheel jerk when braking at around 80km/h but again not always present strangely. So I changed the rotors once myself with Zimmerman's and then it seemed the braking issue was gone but the above vibration was still present, then after 6 weeks it was apparent again, this time I went to a mechanic and they told me that's it's because when replacing rotors the hub has to be cleaned off very well and be a flat surface otherwise hotspots could form and cause the issue. So I replaced them under warranty and had them install it, they also checked the wheels and said they were fibe. Again it appeared the braking issue was gone but the intermittent vibration above was still there, 2 months later I'm starting to notice the braking issue again.

I went back to the mechanic and let them road test it and they found exactly what I told them , vibration at those speeds but not always there and vibration when braking but not always there. They told me the control arm bushings will need replacing.

Before I dive in for the repair as they quoted me a pretty high price I want to know if anyone has had a similar experience?
At this mileage should the bushings be giving out?
Any other thing you guys think it could be?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
dejans
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Might want to check the balancing on your wheels/tires, seeing as you’ve already changed the rotors.

Vibration at highway speed (NOT during braking) is usually control arms or bent wheels/bad tires.

However, I’d be surprised if your control arms were bad at that mileage. They seemingly last double that with ease.
They checked the wheels/tires after the road test and said they were fine.
Guess it could be the control arms then.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
dejans
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDD View Post
The "jerk" when braking may be the thrust arm/tension strut bushings.

Vibration at speed, check the engine mount brackets where it bolts to the motor. You may find that the bolts are broken, this will extend the axle shaft in the front has your car is an Xi and cause a vibration at speed.

The right side mount bracket bolts is the most common to brake. If broken they are easy to extract once the mount is removed. Only use the BMW alloy mount bolt kit if required to replace.

Mark.
Thanks for the response.

Would the thrust arm be the upper arm and the tension strut the lower arm? Sorry I get confused since there are a few names for these things.
Mechanic told me radius rod which I believe is the upper one.

I will look into the engine mount brackets and see if anything is broken.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
MANDD
Autobahn East

Yes it would be the upper arm (31 12 6 768 983) with the large bushing (31 12 0 410 791), BMW refers to this has a tension strut.

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejans View Post
Thanks for the response.

Would the thrust arm be the upper arm and the tension strut the lower arm? Sorry I get confused since there are a few names for these things.
Mechanic told me radius rod which I believe is the upper one.

I will look into the engine mount brackets and see if anything is broken.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: