Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

car loses power

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this issue before.
I have a 2003 xi
Problem:
When accelerating coming out of a turn I lose power and the car idles very rough. I have to turn the car off and restart it.
I had the fuel pump changed and the problem is still there. My mechanic canít seem to find the issue.
My next step is to change the fuel filter. But I donít think this is the issue, because it only happens when pressing hard on the gas.

Thanks all,
johnbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
BMXWill
2nd Gear Member

Long right hand turn with less than half a tank of gas?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

tank is sometimes full, left or right. sometime when I press on the gas to pass a car it happens.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

coming to think of it.. it does happen more often on right hand turns and my tank is or maybe half full. I will start monitoring that. why is this something common. It only started a few months ago. I drove the car for 7 years and no issues like this before.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

That cant be right .. that would have to be some long hell of a turn. You still have gas in your fuel lines all the way to the engine which would not matter if your turning hard. your injectors are spraying evenly into the engine and there is no way you would spray everything from your lines just going around a corner.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

thanks, I'll change the fuel filter and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
BMXWill
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't have to be that long of a right turn for fuel starvation, happens on the first turn at TMP. Mind you that is on the track and in an e36. Just putting ideas out there.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

some BMW's have a transfer pump in the tank... so while you might have changed the main pump, it might be the transfer pump causing the issue... but if this happens even with a completely full gas tank I would say you can rule out fuel starvation from the tank.

Does the car run strange at any other point?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

yes the car is getting worse after the fuel pump change as well. I have to take it to BMW. I have no choice. $$$$$$

if you turn the car off and restart it, it works fine. then the minute you press on the gas too hard it loses power and the car shakes. a restart will clear it once again.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw View Post
yes the car is getting worse after the fuel pump change as well. I have to take it to BMW. I have no choice. $$$$$$

if you turn the car off and restart it, it works fine. then the minute you press on the gas too hard it loses power and the car shakes. a restart will clear it once again.
First, dont take it to BMW, you are just wasting your $$$...
Take it to a GOOD BMW shop, the list of sponsors here, or many others.
If a restart fixes the problem, obviously its something electronic. (a restart will not clean your fuel filter!)

I would look for vacume leaks, sometimes under hard acceleration the engine will move (also check engine mounts!) and a cracked intake boot will suck in air...causing a missfire.

Also check camshaft sensors, they tend to do the same.

And last; doest the check engine light come on? (it should) and have you got it scanned? What regular maintenace have you done in the last 7 years?
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Get the codes first (as stated)
It sounds like something is triggering the limp home mode under acceleration. Could be as simple as a TPS. There a few sensors in there for throttle system, I believe.

A good indy will figure it out. The dealer tends to be up to date with current models, get an experienced guy.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXWill View Post
Doesn't have to be that long of a right turn for fuel starvation, happens on the first turn at TMP. Mind you that is on the track and in an e36. Just putting ideas out there.
if its on the track then fill the gas tank up all the way and try it again .. most likely its the gas swaying over to one side and your giving it.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the contact Erostyle.

I know what you mean with BMW and $$$. However, its with them now and hopefully after this I can start taking it to mimmer haven. I as soon this gets fixed I'll let everyone know what was the resolution.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
johnbmw
1st Gear Newbie

great advise all. thanks I took them all in to have checked out.

Dinanstu > i had a mazda M3, awesome car! had no issues right up to 767,000 km. the only problem I had with it was. "take off was too slow" but got going after 120 km.
with that.. Sorry I will not trade. lol. what I like about BMW my car is a 2003 and the engine is still powerful. well once this issue gets fixed.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
TMR-Carbon
1st Gear Newbie

Check first. just fixed the problems, don't wait.
TMR-Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: