Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie
 
madonthemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
Vibration after installing Meyle HD

So recently replaced my FCAB with Meyle HD, while i appreciate the extra feedback, I get a vibration on the highway at around 120km/h, it makes long journeys quite annoying. This is less noticeable at lower speeds. Is this supposed to be normal?

Or was it not installed right?
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
blakneto
3rd Gear Member
 
blakneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hamilton/Brampton/Toronto
Posts: 320
something aint right... did you put the bushing on yourself? they may not be completely seeded properly.

or something else is broken or failing...
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 351
did you have this issue before the new bushings? ballenced wheels?
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
jabela
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 763
Did you get an alignment after? You need one after changing them. You probably have a wheel that needs balancing too. Your old, worn bushings may have hidden the problem.
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 351
For cabs you dont need alignment afterwords. . They dont change anything.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
For cabs you dont need alignment afterwords. . They dont change anything.
It is suspension related and almost anything suspension related, an alignment is recommended, but many people don't do them.

CABs effect caster, if the old bushings were worn the alignment could have be done based off the worn settings, now that the CABs are back to spec, it could have thrown something else off.

Make sure everything is tight in your front end, check ball joints, tie rods, etc. If everything check outs, have your wheels checked for balancing. Did you swap back to your summer wheels after doing the work? Could a wheel weight have fallen off? Could you have hit a pothole and bent a rim recently? Wheels are the most common source of vibrations, have those checked before digging deeper.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 351
^ yes. Assuming the alignment was done with bad bushings... most likely it was done while the bushings were still in good shape.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
jabela
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 763
If the alignment was done that long ago then he definitely would need a new one. I certainly had to after I replaced mine.
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie
 
madonthemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I should have provided more info, so this is what happened replaced FCAB and the very next day I bought a new set of summer tires and installed them on my summer rims. Since i bought my car in winter (December) I almost immediately put winter tires on so and I dont recall having any vibrations at high way speeds on the Old CAB + Old Summer tires/rims. Winter tires/rims + Old CAB fine : no vibrations
New Summer tires/rims+ New bushings : Problems (too much feedback and vibration at highway speeds)

I had the tires installed at costco - where they were balanced. Pretty sure they would have told me about a bent rim etc.. then again you never know. Or maybe it was a recent pothole - will have it checked for balancing again.

Would an alignment issue cause this? I thought alignment would just cause the car to pull in a certain direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakneto View Post
something aint right... did you put the bushing on yourself? they may not be completely seeded properly.

or something else is broken or failing...
got it done by a buddy, everything was well seated at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
did you have this issue before the new bushings? ballenced wheels?
No, but had winter tires on steelies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Did you get an alignment after? You need one after changing them. You probably have a wheel that needs balancing too. Your old, worn bushings may have hidden the problem.
Yeah should prolly get one, could be the play in the old bushing that hid this

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
It is suspension related and almost anything suspension related, an alignment is recommended, but many people don't do them.

CABs effect caster, if the old bushings were worn the alignment could have be done based off the worn settings, now that the CABs are back to spec, it could have thrown something else off.

Make sure everything is tight in your front end, check ball joints, tie rods, etc. If everything check outs, have your wheels checked for balancing. Did you swap back to your summer wheels after doing the work? Could a wheel weight have fallen off? Could you have hit a pothole and bent a rim recently? Wheels are the most common source of vibrations, have those checked before digging deeper.
I dont have any records on the PO doing any alignments, and the old bushings that came off were factory, so i dont know if an alignment was ever done. During the install we checked for any play in other components : ball joints/tie rods etc - and everything seemed tight - no play at all. Im starting to think it maybe the summer rims, but if it were the rims why would the vibration start above a certain speed? Its fine at city speeds? Any way will check tires first.
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
jabela
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 763
Ok, so it's most certainly your wheels that are out of balance. I haven't had any tires mounted at costco, but they're probably not the best place to do it.
Vibrations are very dependent on speed, and usually only show up at certain speeds on the highway. Even tire pressure can affect it.
You're best bet is to have them rebalanced at a shop that has a Hunter Roadforce balancer.

What rims and tires are they? Pics?
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie
 
madonthemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Ok, so it's most certainly your wheels that are out of balance. I haven't had any tires mounted at costco, but they're probably not the best place to do it.
Vibrations are very dependent on speed, and usually only show up at certain speeds on the highway. Even tire pressure can affect it.
You're best bet is to have them rebalanced at a shop that has a Hunter Roadforce balancer.

What rims and tires are they? Pics?
Basically stock rims, nothing fancy. Can you recommend some good shops in the GTA area where I can take my car for balancing and alignment. Preferably a shop familiar with BMWs.

Rims: Style 73
Tires: Potenza RE760
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
jabela
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 763
Well, you might want to go to Costco to get it warrantied. I'm not sure what their policy is, but if it's like their return policy for electronics, they should rebalance your tires.

Hunter has a search for that. http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

I've heard people recommend Tires 23. Lots of places have them.

For aligment, I like Al Tech. They did a nice custom alignment for me for not too much $$$.

Al Tech Automotive Limited
384 Olivewood, Etobicoke, ON M8Z 2Z9
(416) 231-1611
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie
 
madonthemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Well, you might want to go to Costco to get it warrantied. I'm not sure what their policy is, but if it's like their return policy for electronics, they should rebalance your tires.

Hunter has a search for that. http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

I've heard people recommend Tires 23. Lots of places have them.

For aligment, I like Al Tech. They did a nice custom alignment for me for not too much $$$.

Al Tech Automotive Limited
384 Olivewood, Etobicoke, ON M8Z 2Z9
(416) 231-1611
Thanks Jabela for the address, so will take it back to costco and get it checked ,then check balancing, then check suspension components again, before doing the alignment.

Also noticed today that the vibration come in at around 100km/h but goes away at around 120-125km/h, wierd.

But will check wheels first.
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fcab

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.