Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

Steering rack relocation

I'm working on my motor swap and got to test fit the motor this weekend - found a few problems I wasnt expecting.
Main problem is that the starter is going to interfere with the steering rack, where the column enters the rack.
So, does anyone here know where I can find an example of someone moving the rack location?
I did a check on e30tech and R3V and havent seen anything so far. I figure maybe there would be something buried within a build thread.

I know that moving the rack will mess up the steering geometry, bump steer etc, but if this motor is gonna fit there's no option, cause the starter isnt moving...

I also know that I can space the subframe down (essentially lift the body) which would help with my problems, just looking for other options as well.
goldhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

How much more clearance do you need? What motor?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
RHD conversion

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

Its an ecotec lnf motor from a Pontiac Solstice.
I have to do the oil pan clearance stuff before I know exactly how much it has to move, but approx 2 or maybe 1in down, and 1" closer to the firewall would also help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
RHD conversion
yeah... but then I'd have downpipe issues... guess I could just run it out the hood like a derby car though... :-)
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

man you better get the specs right..it's not a "sorta thing..." changes a lot of things.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
cormier
6th Gear Member

What motor and trans mounts are you using? Custom anyways no? Can't you just move the motor whoever you want it to sit lol?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
_JohnnyD_
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest you cut out the firewall and move the engine far enough back to clear the starter. Building a new firewall would be easier than trying to move the steering rack inches and still get the suspension geometry somewhat right.

Good luck.

Henry Ford
_JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
man you better get the specs right..it's not a "sorta thing..." changes a lot of things.
Yes, I know this. I'll be taking exact measurements. I'm just looking for ideas right now as to other peoples experiences and see what has been done to figure out my best option.

Quote:
What motor and trans mounts are you using? Custom anyways no? Can't you just move the motor whoever you want it to sit lol?
Solstice GXP motor. Yep, custom mounts.
As it sits right now the trans shifter lines up very good with the hole in the tunnel, and the oil pan sump is sitting right infront of the steering rack, so there would be less modifying those things. (Yes, I know there are ways to get the shifter to work if it doesnt line up.

I'd rather not cut the firewall if nessecary, I'd like to keep the dash and heater core etc all intact. Also, the brake booster would be in the way if I move it back (has a high pressure fuel pump on the back of the intake cam)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: