Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

About to bring an E39 from Cali to Canada

Test drove a 2000 540i Sport 6 Speed with 77k miles, maintained by a really well off gentleman who purchased it himself and got it through the European Delivery Program today. Was blown away. Loved every moment in the car and the seller was an incredible person to talk to.

Can't wait to get the car in my hands. However - before I do pay - will there be a problem with bringing it over the border because it was made in Germany? It won't be a standard BMW anymore, right?

I'll be paying GST (13%) and import duties (how much will these amount to) and I'll be exempt from the gas levy because the car was made before 2007 right?
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
debunn
1st Gear Newbie

Although I've never imported a BMW in to Canada, I did look in to the process a few years ago and these guys outline the general steps:

http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm

The RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) who you will be dealing with to import the car has information here:

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

I don't think you'll have problems bringing in any BMW according to their admissable vehicle list:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeV...see_notes_.htm

Costs at the border will be $207 (RIV fee) + 5% GST + 6.1% duty (as the vehicle was made in Germany, not NAFTA eligible) + $100 air conditioner green tax. Once you have the car here, my understanding is you need to get it configured to meet Canadian road regulations (the Willz site quotes this as about an hour of shop labor), and then you can register it with the province (at which point they'll ding you for another 8% of the value.)

That's my understanding of the process - I'm sure someone else will reply if I've got something wrong...

Good luck, and enjoy the 540i - I loved my 2003 while I had it!
debunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
dbworld4k
Addict

European Delivery doesn't change anything as the VIN still corresponds to a US market car.

edit: There's a huge thread Stickied at the top of the very subsection you posted this thread into. All the information you need is already there.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black

Last edited by dbworld4k; 05-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

The only thing you might have to get in place is the daytime running lights. This can be electronically programmed at most any shop I would think.

I don't know if EDM cars had DRL's but if they don't, you'll need it to pass Canadian Federalization at Canadian Tire.

As for the eligibility of EDM cars in general, I have seen many in Canada so there must be a way although there may be a 15 year limit since it's not a USDM car. I'd recommend you verify this fully satisfactorily before you pay.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

DRLs on a e39 are a computer programable option
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

what's the latest word on BMW Recall Letters? (which you will need to import) Does the dealer still charge $$$$?

any tricks to getting one for free?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz View Post
what's the latest word on BMW Recall Letters? (which you will need to import) Does the dealer still charge $$$$?

any tricks to getting one for free?
If you have any dealer contacts down there in the US, they might be able to get you a reasonable alternative that RIV will accept.

I had a "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry" PDF generated by a US BMW dealer which RIV accepted in lieu of a Canadian BMW office generated Recall Letter. I don't know if all RIV staff will take it but the one I drew did accept it.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: