Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

E60 - 08/09/10

Hi guys,

I just sold my E46 - and am looking at various E60's - primarily after the 08 refresh so I'm trying to find some decent, low mileage, 08/09/10 528XI in Black with a budget of about 28k.

Found some decent rides and test drove a few as well - however the majority of them dont have any service history.

Coming from a 3 series owner, I didnt quite bother with any of my 3 series not having any service history when I bought them (owned 4 at different times) - however this is my first 5 series so the question is:

a) Is service history a must in this case? Since there are apparently a lot more electronics involved in the E60?
b) Any particular things I should look for?
c) Majority of the cars have mileage between 70-120k - I am still looking at getting something around the 50k mark in terms of mileage - what would be the immediate items coming up for change when the car hits around 100k?

Thanks in advance....hope to find a decent 5 series soon ..... been running my Dad's Volvo the last week and the old man is already complaining about his brakes smelling each time I bring his car home....
E46Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Service history is nice, but for me, it would never be a deal breaker. To most people, it is just useless paper that reminds them how much they've spent. My dad is a perfect example, he services his 04 V70 T5 at the dealer for the most part, I always tell him to get his receipts and keep them, do you think he does??? Never...

Us enthusiasts are obsessed with records because we think it somehow makes the car "better", but a bunch of papers (that can easily be faked) don't speak volumes for the rest of the car.

If the car is in good shape, it drives well, there is nothing that makes you cringe, then why not pull the trigger? If you don't know much about cars, then just get a PPi, it would tell you a lot more than a bunch of papers about the current state of the car.
Also, grab the vin, call BMW canada, find out where it was serviced for the duration of its warranty (and hopefully beyond) call them and see what they are able to tell you. Due to the privacy laws, they won't give you much other than what was done and when.
I would imagine you would probably need to flush all of your fluids (tranny included) to be safe and perhaps worry about water pump/other plastic components failing due to age.
Its a used car, if you don't want any of the risks associated with a used car, buy new.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Service history is nice, but for me, it would never be a deal breaker. To most people, it is just useless paper that reminds them how much they've spent. My dad is a perfect example, he services his 04 V70 T5 at the dealer for the most part, I always tell him to get his receipts and keep them, do you think he does??? Never...

Us enthusiasts are obsessed with records because we think it somehow makes the car "better", but a bunch of papers (that can easily be faked) don't speak volumes for the rest of the car.

If the car is in good shape, it drives well, there is nothing that makes you cringe, then why not pull the trigger? If you don't know much about cars, then just get a PPi, it would tell you a lot more than a bunch of papers about the current state of the car.
Also, grab the vin, call BMW canada, find out where it was serviced for the duration of its warranty (and hopefully beyond) call them and see what they are able to tell you. Due to the privacy laws, they won't give you much other than what was done and when.
I would imagine you would probably need to flush all of your fluids (tranny included) to be safe and perhaps worry about water pump/other plastic components failing due to age.
Its a used car, if you don't want any of the risks associated with a used car, buy new.

Yeah the car is definately going to go for a PPI to Rocco at RMP - once I nail down the right car. All the dealers though, are plugging the warranties like no tomorrow, mainly scaring me a bit with the so-called additional electronics that the E60 has.

A car driven well and taken care of by the previous owner - with mileage around 50k is what I am hunting for ---- I have no issues with maintaining the car, just being cautious - 28k is a lot of $ (for me anyway!)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Dude View Post
Yeah the car is definately going to go for a PPI to Rocco at RMP - once I nail down the right car. All the dealers though, are plugging the warranties like no tomorrow, mainly scaring me a bit with the so-called additional electronics that the E60 has.

A car driven well and taken care of by the previous owner - with mileage around 50k is what I am hunting for ---- I have no issues with maintaining the car, just being cautious - 28k is a lot of $ (for me anyway!)
The warranties make them money so they throw it in as a bonus to "ease" the buyers mind when buying because people are so paranoid(like yourself) of buying "the wrong car".
Honestly, if you are soo scared about the extra electrics, then perhaps a later model e60 (what you are looking for and that has more of its bugs worked out) is not the car for you.
With those cars, or any Automatic BMW, my biggest concern would be the tranny's, I am hard on automatics and I just simply don't know how well they hold up to more spirited and aggressive driving. The best would be to speak to a tech at BMW (or any independent mech who has ample experience with newer BMW's) and find out common issues. Then, use that checklist against cars you are looking at and eliminate them that way.
I mean, to me, 09-10 is still fairly new cars, most of the ugly issues have probably not appeared as the cars haven't really racked up the miles or aged yet so getting info on issues is a bit harder, unless it was a wide spread/very common issue all together. ( just thinking out loud here)

Realistically, is a failed electronic module the worst thing that can happen? If it does, will you feel like you've made the worst decision of your life getting an e60? Will that 1000$ repair break the bank? These are all questions you need to ask yourself to determine if a 30K, luxury car is something you are ready for.

If I know there is an issue with a potential car (ex. tranny) I factor that in the "owning" experience of that car. Do I want the vehicle badly enough to justify dealing with such an issue. Could it possibly be that I am one of the lucky ones who don't experience it, am I going to drive the vehicle in a way that I am likely to accelerate the failure, will I keep the vehicle long enough, etc etc etc.

Sometimes I see people that scare themselves so much, that they look and look and look forever and ultimately buy the worst car, or they end up getting something they are not "afraid" of.

BTW, how do you know a car was driven well? Do you have video proof? I could show you a car and tell you it was driven to church every sunday only, where really it spend its time in stop and go traffic...every..single...day... Hell you can keep that low mileage car, and I would rather a higher mileage HWY cruiser that was opened up once in a while.... just my 2 cents.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 03-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Ah.... The extended warranty! I never buy those! However, I too got scared when I bought the m5 and dropped almost 2k for one... It's been a year now, and the car has been solid.

If you can wrench, eBay has lots of parts.... Even e60 modules for a decent price! And you can get lots of help on this forum and others...I checked out some e60 wagons...those were sexy... No balls though....maybe 535xi touring would be ok.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

^^Thanks.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/5%20S...howcpo=ShowCPO

This is one Im looking at closely - price is within my budget and kms arent too bad...havent heard much about this dealership though - the guys seem nice and professional - hope to set up a inspection with RMP next week and go from there
Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Looks nice - inspection is certainly a good idea.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: