Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Mythbusted about cold air intake

These guys make a pretty cool video .. i think those that send $400 on a tube and cone should dyno there cars before and after.

http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long

surprised no one commented yet

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

These guys are a joke. Dyno's can't recreate real life conditions Arek. I tuned my M3 on the dyno, than went out and did data logging on the highway and the values were totally different.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

It's also kind of bunk doing that test on a boosted car...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
These guys are a joke. Dyno's can't recreate real life conditions Arek. I tuned my M3 on the dyno, than went out and did data logging on the highway and the values were totally different.
Some e90 guy did a dyno test with 4 different CAI .. only one that gave him dyno results was the euro airbox (bmw performance model) and the ECIS replica type. You can't tell me that any type of CAI will improve performance (ebay $20 intake for example) just because its a cone over the stock box.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I don't think that's what he's saying. Just that their method of busting the myth is kind of BS.

I will agree that expecting the gains that some companies advertise just by slapping on their filter is retarded. The stock intake system would have to be pretty poorly designed to be holding back 10hp. Not only that, but WOT maps are usually fixed maps anyway, so unless the car happened to be running too rich to begin with, without re-tuning the fuel map any extra air isn't going to make extra power without extra fuel. It's the part throttle areas where gains that don't show up on the dyno might be noticed.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I don't think that's what he's saying. Just that their method of busting the myth is kind of BS.

I will agree that expecting the gains that some companies advertise just by slapping on their filter is retarded. The stock intake system would have to be pretty poorly designed to be holding back 10hp. Not only that, but WOT maps are usually fixed maps anyway, so unless the car happened to be running too rich to begin with, without re-tuning the fuel map any extra air isn't going to make extra power without extra fuel. It's the part throttle areas where gains that don't show up on the dyno might be noticed.
Ya that makes sense .. someone should through this into a civic forum

I think 90% dont do any re-tuning to the fuel maps / ecu

Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
cormier
6th Gear Member

Haha I would say 95%

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

On an M5, it has been proven a few times that CAI actually cause it loose power. Some guy did before/after dyno's and compared a couple of different intake set ups. I am going to try to find the thread.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:. 1of 2 in Canada
'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You'll get better values on your first run cause the car is cold

most CAI's are shit. seriously, you're removing something designed by a team of engineers for something 3 guys did in a fab shop. is it surprising that it doesn't give huge gains? why would bmw engineers leave HP on the table? Yeah maybe 1-2 to quiet it down but you really think most cars intakes are restrictive enough to gain 10hp? not likely.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

On an E30 I've seen a datalog where MAP started to drop from 101kpa (atmospheric) around 6400rpm and ended up levelling off around 90kpa at 7000rpm. With no airbox whatsoever on the same car, the same drop off didn't start until around 7200rpm. So above 6400 rpm the stock airbox/filter is a limitation, and above 7200rpm (where very few E30's ever drive) the throttle body/intake starts to become restrictive.

The diyautotune guys gained 3whp/wtq on an E30 by deleting the AFM and stock airbox.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
BMe30
all by chance...

^^^^ i envy your knowledge, but enjoy learning from it lol

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMe30 View Post
^^^^ i envy your knowledge, but enjoy learning from it lol
It's all out there on teh internetz lol
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

I think like it was said already, you would have to tune the amount of fuel being injected.

Whats the point of a cold air intake? Get cooler air. Cooler air is denser and has more O2, which should make the engine more effecient.

But whats the o2 density between 10 degree celsius air and 25 degrees celsius air.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
FermiParadox
2nd Gear Member

This thread has some really good information:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=438071
FermiParadox is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: