Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Power steering issues

Hi all, need a little advice from the community.

About 1 week ago I went to go start my car and after, noticed my power steering was not working. Steering was extremely stiff and difficult to turn. Fluid level looked fine though a bit dark. Went ahead and changed the ps pump with a new one. I let the old fluid drain and refilled with new Dextron VI ATF. Turned wheel left to right while car was started to bleed air and allow fluid to cycle through. Steering was loose and felt normal again.

BUTTTT, after leaving it overnight, started an steering is completely stiff again. Fluid level still looks the same. Here's the wierd thing, If I rev the car beyond 2000rpm, the power steering kicks back in ... And it stays on . Even if I stop the car turn off and on , it works fine .. It's only when I leave over night it's stiff before I start the first drive

I verified no leaks .. I'm thinking it could be steering rack leaking internally when cold.. Any thoughts ?
starbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

hmmm... changed the pump and the fluid?!?!?
Not a mechanic, but maybe you are not getting enough POWER to the pump?
Make sure the belt is OK too.
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

I considered that may be the case considering I have to give it a rev to kick in .. But then it continues to work after at idle and even if I stop and start the car again .. I was thinking if it was a power or belt issue that the issue would be present beyond just my intitial startup
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

maybe its not the pump but the lower joint assembly is broken or stiff?
when you thought it was the power steering... was the ps pump moaning or making a funny noise?
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Not really .. But when I lift the car onto a jack the wheels turn freely..I considered that it might might a physical obstruction but doesn't seem to be that..

I mean with old pump it was stiff no matter what.. With the new pump its only an issue in the morning .. I give it 1 rev to 2000rpm and everything is fine again for the rest of the day providing I don't let the car air for 6 hours or more
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
jabela
4th Gear Member

Maybe the belt is slipping until you rev it?
Or maybe there's still some air that settles around the pump and clears when you rev it?

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Hmm maybe.. I'll try bleeding the air again and see what happens
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
BADRAT
badratart.com

i have had the exact same issue for two winters now, have tried many things without any success... at this point i just expect it when it has been cold overnight and just rev. have had my pump replaced and majority of hoses.. except for high pressure out hose and steering rack.

if you find a solution, please let me know!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Will do .. I'm almost sure it's the rack.. When I rev I hear a little pop from under the car right where the rack sits
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

What pump did u put in?? No rack its blockage or shitty pump
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Oem lf20 and its not a blockage as I had all the lines blown out

To add to that, how does a blockage resolve itself after one rev every time on cold start? Also if its a bad pump, again how does it become ok after one rev on cold start ?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Because there is a relief valve in the pump and there is a check ball in the 19mm bango fitting
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
iroczu
2nd Gear Member

if you bled everything which is easy to do just did my ps pump 2 weeks ago and never had this issue your having but could have a faulty by pass in the pump as someone mentioned, but a bad rack usually will be bad period seal or something goes and by passes your ps fluid causing it to not work at all or sometimes works one direction but hardly the other, you can test to see if pump is circulating by lowering the fluid level down to the filter in the reservoir at idle and say around the 2000 rpm mark you notice it at and see and this requires 2 people, but chances are if by pass is fubered take pump back and warranty it, also did you change your reservoir when you did the pump? the internal filter could be clogged
iroczu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: