Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #91
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

I go out almost every night for 10-20 minutes before saying **** it, not tonight.
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #92
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
You can still open them up in a new tab... or just browse the album http://s575.photobucket.com/user/Ste...?sort=3&page=1

I was actually staring at the ITBs in the garage last night for a few minutes until the cold demotivated me from doing any work lol.
Did not know that! Cool thanks, I'm researching itbs and your thread is very helpfull.

And lol I do the same thing, time to hook up my heater and get some motivation.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #93
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

lol I put about 18 hours in the freezing garage in the past three days..... we are canadian.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #94
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I'm probably just going to bring that useless eta head I have to work along with the ITBs so I can just work on them in a nice warm shop after hours.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #95
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Oh snap...

I'll do some more write up with pictures when I get a chance.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #96
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Fantastic!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #97
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

More coming soon
Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #98
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Oh yeah! Looks neato!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #99
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Sweeeeet
Old 05-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #100
aviator
3rd Gear Member

looks sweet... going to display my ignorance now... why go to an ITB set up? being fuel injected its not like you'd get the benefits a multi carb set up would offer to a carbed engine IK setting up twin/triple carbs is a PITA... I assume you get the same matching issues with an ITB set up... does it improve fuel economy? or are you trying to balance the flow to each cylinder perfectly? just curious...
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #101
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

It will sound more godly than it already did..... and it looks awesome.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #102
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

ITB give very fast throttle response.. that's why M cars have them, and why motorbikes rev so quickly.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #103
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
looks sweet... going to display my ignorance now... why go to an ITB set up? being fuel injected its not like you'd get the benefits a multi carb set up would offer to a carbed engine IK setting up twin/triple carbs is a PITA... I assume you get the same matching issues with an ITB set up... does it improve fuel economy? or are you trying to balance the flow to each cylinder perfectly? just curious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
It will sound more godly than it already did..... and it looks awesome.
^ This is part of the motivation

... and so I can go around saying #becauseracecar all the time

I can imagine that setting up carbs is a hassle because you have to fiddle with the throttle plates and the jets, however with ITBs on an EFI set-up you just need to make sure that they are all drawing the same vacuum at idle, the fuel is already harmonized by the computer. You can get it pretty close by hand using the shank of a really small diameter drill bit as a feeler gauge. To get it dead nuts all you need is a carb sync tool like this to make sure all gauges are reading the same amount of vacuum...

With regards to performance, it won't improve fuel economy. It will help engines with big cams idle smoother. Also, it was recently proven that with a properly designed ITB set-up on a bone stock engine you can gain 20+whp which is significant.... on an M20 anyway. No other bolt on n/a mod that I've seen other than an expensive ported head can provide gains like that. (http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118357)

Is my set-up "properly designed"? No....not really, there's a little bit of thought to it, but only a dyno will tell how well it works. I just wanted to try building a set in a way that was relatively cheap to make and that maintained the stock brake booster... and if it worked, then maybe other people could use the same idea to make something similar for themselves.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #104
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
ITB give very fast throttle response.. that's why M cars have them, and why motorbikes rev so quickly.
^ and this. The throttle response is surgical now. Sooo good for the heel-toe
Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #105
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Ok so a little bit of write up to try and highlight some of the key things I had to do to finish up the mechanical bits on this project...

In order to shorten up the cables that came with the throttle bodies to use for this project I needed a few little bits and pieces like cable ends, ferules, and threaded adjusters. I figured it'd be easy to find this stuff, but apparently I was wrong. I went to two local motorcycle shops and a bicycle shop and couldn't find what I was looking for. After some searching and a few emails I got all the parts I needed for about $12 shipped from here http://www.venhill.co.uk/Cables_-_Co...ble_Components

After measuring and trimming the cables I put them in the bench vise making sure to put on the threaded adjusters and the cap for the cable joiner first because once the ends are soldered on the cables can't come through the cap of the joiner ...

Then I put on the cable ends and frayed the end of the cable to keep them from coming off...

And used a torch and some solder to fill in the ends...

The two cables join together with this brass piece that slides into the aluminum tube and the caps keep everything inside...

Then I machined up a clevis to connect the cable to the arm. There's a small diameter hole in it and a couple of set screws to crush the cable and hold it in place...

Then I figured I'd go a little steam punk with the vacuum manifolds so I went and bought some 1" copper tube and brass barbs. When drilling the holes in the copper I made sure to drill them so I could run a 1/8-27 NPT tap into the hole. That way I could thread the fittings in and crank them tight as well as making sure they go in straight...

The initial thought was to make a manifold for each set of throttle bodies and use one to fun the FPR and MAP sensor and the other solely for the brake booster. I figured if I was going to attempt to run the car off MAP before trying alpha-n I wouldn't want the booster pulling off of the same manifold as the MAP sensor. Since there is a lot less volume than the stock manifold I though that it might end up causing problems. I thought that where the fuel rails use to be on the throttle bodies would be a good spot...

So I soldered away...

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 05-13-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: