Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
e39540i6
1st Gear Newbie

Emmision Related Problems Help!!

Hello all,

I am currently driving a 2004 545I 6 speed manual. I am having trouble passing the emission test because my Evaporate system and secondary air monitors are "not ready".

I have driven over 2500 kms since replacing my breather control valve and gas cap which was originally giving me my check engine light. The MIL light has not returned on and there are no codes stored.

I have attempted to complete the "drive cycle" to the best of my ability over 5 times. With that being said, it is difficult at times to follow the cycle on point. Today, I dropped my car at my buddies shop and had him accurately complete 3 drive cycles on the dyno, and still the windows are not ready.

Any help will be very appreciated! I have been dealing with this for weeks so my next plan is contact BMW tomorrow and see if I am able to bring the car in for them to get my monitors ready and do the emission test.

e39540i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
firbster
2nd Gear Member

I thought I had read that up to a certain year you were allowed 1 not ready monitor , I guess 2003 was the cut off..
firbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
firbster
2nd Gear Member

here read this
http://www.wheels.ca/news/check-engi...ve-clean-test/
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
sok
3rd Gear Member

bmw dealer doesn't do e-test from what i know
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
e39540i6
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firbster View Post
I thought I had read that up to a certain year you were allowed 1 not ready monitor , I guess 2003 was the cut off..
That is correct. My vehicle can have one monitor not ready. Just to clarify, I have two monitors not ready evap & secondary air.

Parkview BMW does have the new emmision machine. After contacting them, the service advisor told me that in order for my evap to be ready, ambiet temperature has to be at least 10 degrees.. They said for me to drop it off over night and have it inside overnight. From there they plan to start the car in the morning, let it idle and run the test. If it fails, she said they are going to diagnose the car. If they can't find a problem (which in my opinion doesn't exist, but then again I'm not a mechanic), they will contact the ministry and take it from there

What a cash grab
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
firbster
2nd Gear Member

I spoke to a buddy that has a used car lot and has had 8 cars so far that he's having a nightmare trying to pass, a lot of used dealers are up in arms over the changes. Hopefully it will blow up and get changed..or dropped entirely.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
e39540i6
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firbster View Post
I spoke to a buddy that has a used car lot and has had 8 cars so far that he's having a nightmare trying to pass, a lot of used dealers are up in arms over the changes. Hopefully it will blow up and get changed..or dropped entirely.
Ya I am hearing the exact same thing... the system needs an update at the least IMO... anyways my windows are still "not ready".. I am waiting for the "warmer" weather to come along early next week and hopefully have the evaporate system or secondary window ready up....
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
odzzie
2nd Gear Member

How did this turn out for you im curious to know! haha
odzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
damameke
6th Gear Member

There were 2 articles written in the Wheels section about the frustrations of dealers failing the test of cars that customers bought that has to have a drive clean test.

This new test is causing alot of inconvenience for car owners and it cost much more than the $39 now...,and like post #5 said.. "bring in the car and we wil put in the garage and start up the car eraly and let it warm up" . isnt this illegal. car idling and cause more emission?

I wonder whose bright idea this is, for using ODB and most car will fail..
this should be an election issue as well as the automible insurance and we all should do our part by complaining to our MP(which I did and will do follow up) instead of taking it in the chin all the time...

Last edited by damameke; 02-19-2013 at 10:27 AM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
There were 2 articles written in the Wheels section about the frustrations of dealers failing the test of cars that customers bought that has to have a drive clean test.

This new test is causing alot of inconvenience for car owners and it cost much more than the $39 now...,and like post #5 said.. "bring in the car and we wil put in the garage and start up the car eraly and let it warm up" . isnt this illegal. car idling and cause more emission?

I wonder whose bright idea this is, for using ODB and most car will fail..
this should be an election issue as well as the automible insurance and we all should do our part by complaining to our MP(which I did and will do follow up) instead of taking it in the chin all the time...
and can you imagine
+1. They obviously listed to the "experts" out there. I say revolt to your MP office and voice the concern

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: